Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FilthyImp posted:

DOES going to Wookiepedia the fu k out of Watchguys.

Did you suffer a brain aneurysm or did I? 'Cause I've no idea what's going on in this sentence at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Saoshyant posted:

Did you suffer a brain aneurysm or did I? 'Cause I've no idea what's going on in this sentence at all.
Definitely him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Saoshyant posted:

Wtf autocorrect.

DC's going to Wookiepedia the gently caress out of Watchguys. By the time we're done with it, all the characters will have secret prior connections through chance that make the stupid universe small and cliche.

quote:

Young Rorshach once witnessed Dollar Bill be mean to a fan, showing him that Heroes were flawed and that he could only trust his own fists. In 9th grade, however, The Original Nite Owl saved his mother from an abusive John. This created a rift in Walter's mind, as he both appreciated the hero's help but was also sickened by his mother's dependence on others.
Walter's success in youth boxing and martial arts caught the attention of Ozymandius and his Reeds program. Unfortunately the young man's psychological profile prevented Ozymandius from offering him a position in this elite life-training program...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 17, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Am I being a grognard for not reading anything that's not the original Watchmen? Like, in principle it feels like a stand where someone states only Stan Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four 'counts', which I'd never argue.

But gosh darn it, why couldn't Watchmen just be Watchmen?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A Strange Aeon posted:

Am I being a grognard for not reading anything that's not the original Watchmen? Like, in principle it feels like a stand where someone states only Stan Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four 'counts', which I'd never argue.

No, because DC had a chance to make it mainstream with the Charleston Comics characters Moore wanted to use. They didn't want them associated that way, so he made analogues.

Now they want to stick that big blue dick into every corner of their universe and it sucks that a self-contained story gets poo poo added on to it because sales.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Strange Aeon posted:

You're absolutely not. That was a story with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

It also doesn't help that all of the attempts to add on to it so far have sucked poo poo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A Strange Aeon posted:

Nope, I'm with you. DC's being so creatively bankrupt that they have no new ideas and instead have to spin something out of a 30+ year old mini-series that had a conclusive ending in a non-shared universe, which is one of the reasons it worked so well.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I really did enjoy the HBO series, but na.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I really did enjoy the HBO series, but na.

The HBO series is fantastic and very much its own thing. But of all the "Before Watchmen" series DC published several years ago, Darwyn Cooke's Minutemen was actually really good, because Cooke was always great and because it's a side-prequel to Moore's story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, one of my guilty pleasures is alternate history. One site I've started frequenting has a recurring column looking at the history (and possible divergences, naturally) of comics. It's pretty good!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Nah, like someone else said it has a beginning, middle and end. FF was always intended to be a serial and when Kirby left Lee continued to make it with JRSR and then other artists who continued to make it with other writers when Lee moved into more editorial and management positions.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I was feeling pretty low over the past few days. I thought I would read some of the comics in that humble bundleto take my mind off things for a spell and cheer up a bit. For some reason, I started with the first Stray Bullets book. Oooof. That was a bad choice. I get the feeling it's a good / well written book, but I sure did not feel good after reading that. I went browsing the synopses on the bundle site, and I get the impression that there are an aweful lot of bummer titles in there. I eventually settled on Curse Words, and it's a riot. I realise Sex Criminals is funny too, but that's the only title in the bundle I already have.

Edited to ask: what is a good app to read cbz on an android tablet?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 17, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Nope, I'm with you. DC's being so creatively bankrupt that they have no new ideas and instead have to spin something out of a 30+ year old mini-series that had a conclusive ending in a non-shared universe, which is one of the reasons it worked so well.

Nothing conclusively ends, that story is over but the universe itself isn't. Watchmen is an interesting universe that other creative people working under a WFH construct want to explore. Why are their efforts to explore Watchmen less valid than Alan Moore's efforts to do the same with Miracleman or any of the other preexisting IPs he did work on?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

Nothing conclusively ends, that story is over but the universe itself isn't. Watchmen is an interesting universe that other creative people working under a WFH construct want to explore. Why are their efforts to explore Watchmen less valid than Alan Moore's efforts to do the same with Miracleman or any of the other preexisting IPs he did work on?

He didn't invent Miracleman and he wasn't cheated out of ownership of Miracleman by dishonest business practices. Watchmen wasn't a pre-existing IP. I know it was based on Charleston characters but they're not the actual Charleston characters.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

B33rChiller posted:

I was feeling pretty low over the past few days. I thought I would read some of the comics in that humble bundleto take my mind off things for a spell and cheer up a bit. For some reason, I started with the first Stray Bullets book. Oooof. That was a bad choice. I get the feeling it's a good / well written book, but I sure did not feel good after reading that. I went browsing the synopses on the bundle site, and I get the impression that there are an aweful lot of bummer titles in there. I eventually settled on Curse Words, and it's a riot. I realise Sex Criminals is funny too, but that's the only title in the bundle I already have.

I haven't come across a "fun" series, yet. God Country was pretty fun, but it was also a metaphor for Alzheimer's, which isn't exactly upbeat.

Low is billed as "optimistic", but it's certainly dragging the characters through hell to get there.

I never found a good reader for Android. Check out the digital comics thread for some recent recs, but I haven't used any of them. I always ended up reading the PDF copies in the default reader, as it worked the best.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 17, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Jordan7hm posted:

Love how you worked the ending of Watchmen into your first statement there. "Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."

Your point is sort of why I posted in the first place, I had a visceral negative reaction to the new comic that was announced and wanted to explore why I feel that way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

I haven't come across a "fun" series, yet. God Country was pretty fun, but it was also a metaphor for Alzheimer's, which isn't upbeat.

I never found a good reader for Android. Check out the digital comics thread for some recent recs, but I haven't used any of them. I always ended up reading the PDF copies in the default reader, as it worked the best.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527

Perfect Viewer works pretty well for me. It's got a bug where sometimes when I open it it defaults to something I was reading a while ago, but if I navigate to whatever book I was actually reading the last time it remembers where I was in that one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jordan7hm posted:

The issue is that they are being treated as canon.

Five years ago Steven Baxter did a "sequel" to War of the Worlds. Maybe it was good, maybe it was bad, I don't know. But it's very clearly it's own thing, an exploration of the ideas from the original book by a different writer. It's not going to be packaged in with the first novel as WAR OF THE WORLDS COMPLETE OMNIBUS. There isn't a War of the Worlds reading order chart being passed around sci-fi forums. Because War of the Worlds is a book that stands entirely by itself. The various sequels and spinoffs and adaptations that have been inspired by it don't touch it. They can help people understand the original book from a different perspective, or highlight aspects of the books, or whatever, but the original still is the canon work. The extra stuff simply orbits it.

That's not true with all this Watchmen stuff. It's all canon. There is a Watchmen reading order list. I don't know if it exists yet but I'm sure at some point DC will put out a Complete Watchmen Set with all the comics in in-universe chronological order and when you put them on the shelf together they make a smiley face or a clock on the spines. They are not explorations of the ideas of the original work, they are attachments. They are expansions bolted on to a singular piece of art that was never meant to carry them. It's like FilthyImp said, they are filling in Rorshach's story, cementing gaps that were never meant to be filled and providing canonical answers to questions that were never meant to be answered or never even needed to be asked in the first place. They're taking a classic car and adding an en suite kitchenette.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Anything Watchmen related that isn't the 12 original issues feels gross to me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre is also written by Cooke and beautifully drawn by Amanda Conner so it's worth a look.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, one of my guilty pleasures is alternate history. One site I've started frequenting has a recurring column looking at the history (and possible divergences, naturally) of comics. It's pretty good!

There was a fun alternate history thread I was reading a while ago where the initial big divergence is that National Comics and All-American Comics don't end up merging to form the company we know as DC Comics, and this causes all sorts of funny divergences, I'll go dig up more info on it as it's pretty interesting

B33rChiller posted:

I use Comic Rack on my phone, works pretty well

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre is also written by Cooke and beautifully drawn by Amanda Conner so it's worth a look.

I've had it in my Hoopla queue forever. I should probably check it out, since I've been binge-reading Love and Rockets and modern-era Larry Hama G.I. Joe for so long.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drrockso20 posted:

There was a fun alternate history thread I was reading a while ago where the initial big divergence is that National Comics and All-American Comics don't end up merging to form the company we know as DC Comics, and this causes all sorts of funny divergences, I'll go dig up more info on it as it's pretty interesting

I use Comic Rack on my phone, works pretty well

Ooh, please do!

One idea I've been interested in is if Jim Shooter bought Marvel in the 80s (I think because SFDebris brought it up in his series on comics). And then someone posted a great article on Carol Kalish in the Discord and if she'd lived that would be an interesting point of divergence. And of course then there's Dwayne McDuffie.

I guess that's kinda why I've been so interested in the fantasy draft thread.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Now that you mention it, one big potential point of divergence would be what would have happened if Chris Claremont had gotten the chance to leave Uncanny X-Men early to write Fantastic Four, which was reportedly something he'd wanted to do for years. IIRC, it would've been in the mid- to late '80s.

There's a lot of big influential work in the "Dark Age," starting around the Morlock Massacre.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ooh, please do!

One idea I've been interested in is if Jim Shooter bought Marvel in the 80s (I think because SFDebris brought it up in his series on comics). And then someone posted a great article on Carol Kalish in the Discord and if she'd lived that would be an interesting point of divergence. And of course then there's Dwayne McDuffie.

I guess that's kinda why I've been so interested in the fantasy draft thread.

sure here's the thread it was in;

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/five-colors-for-a-dime-a-comic-book-timeline-redux.236176

so basically as I mentioned before the big divergence point is rather than Max Gaines selling All-American Comics to National Comics to form DC, he instead decided to detach All-American Comics from National completely and go it on his own, due to this by 1974 there are five big players in the field of Superhero comics;

DC Comics

even though National/DC wasn't able to acquire All-American, they still were basically the top dog in the industry, and much like in OTL they still ended up acquiring Fawcett and Quality comics, due to not having the AA characters the ones they acquired from Fawcett and Quality have much larger roles than in our reality

All-American Comics

All-American has done rather well in this timeline, in the early 50's they bought out Atlas Comics(the result of Atlas's distributor going out of business, in OTL this merely resulted in Atlas/Marvel ending up having to make a deal with DC's personal distributor in a very restrictive deal, here though Martin Goodman decided to just sell his company instead to DC's biggest competition), which means AA owns the Golden Age Marvel/Atlas characters, however much like OTL DC, when the Silver Age boom for Superheroes happened, since AA wasn't actively publishing any superhero comics at the time, they chose to do a full relaunch with new versions of all their characters(unlike this timeline's DC)

Charlton Comics

Charlton is doing a bit better in this timeline than they were in ours by this point, partly because among the divergences Roy Thomas has ended up as Editor In-Chief at Charlton, thus while Charlton still has the worst payrate in the industry among the major publishers, it's also become known as a great place to launch a career at, due to Roy's influence Charlton ended up buying up the rights to a bunch of former Nedor and Lev Gleason characters, as well as some originals

Mighty Comics

when All-American bought out Atlas there wasn't much room at AA for Stan Lee, thus when Archie Comics decided they wanted to to enter the Superhero ring again thanks to the new boom for the genre they ended up hiring Stan Lee to head their new sub-imprint, the resulting comics at first were mostly new concepts reusing existing superhero names that Archie already owned from when they were MLJ Publishing, though gradually new concepts would emerge, as of 1974 Archie Comics and thus Mighty Comics have been bought out by Disney(as a result of Disney and Gold Key Comics getting into a dispute over licensing and Disney deciding it'd be cheaper to buy an existing company rather than start up a comics division from scratch)

Escape Comics

Escape Comics was founded in 1953 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, in 1957 they absorbed Magazine Enterprises which gave them the Fox Comics characters, their roster is a mixture of those characters and new concepts from Jack Kirby and others

the timeline goes past that point, but personally I feel it kinda falls apart by the time of the Bronze Age to Iron Age transition on a plausibility level, plus most of the neat little micro-heroes the author had made were of this period anyways

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What if...comics sounds like a fun thread. One person starts, each person has to build off the immediately proceeding post. Like that kamandi mini DC did the other year

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

drrockso20 posted:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/five-colors-for-a-dime-a-comic-book-timeline-redux.236176

so basically as I mentioned before the big divergence point is rather than Max Gaines selling All-American Comics to National Comics to form DC, he instead decided to detach All-American Comics from National completely and go it on his own, due to this by 1974 there are five big players in the field of Superhero comics;

DC Comics

even though National/DC wasn't able to acquire All-American, they still were basically the top dog in the industry, and much like in OTL they still ended up acquiring Fawcett and Quality comics, due to not having the AA characters the ones they acquired from Fawcett and Quality have much larger roles than in our reality

All-American Comics

All-American has done rather well in this timeline, in the early 50's they bought out Atlas Comics(the result of Atlas's distributor going out of business, in OTL this merely resulted in Atlas/Marvel ending up having to make a deal with DC's personal distributor in a very restrictive deal, here though Martin Goodman decided to just sell his company instead to DC's biggest competition), which means AA owns the Golden Age Marvel/Atlas characters, however much like OTL DC, when the Silver Age boom for Superheroes happened, since AA wasn't actively publishing any superhero comics at the time, they chose to do a full relaunch with new versions of all their characters(unlike this timeline's DC)

Charlton Comics

Charlton is doing a bit better in this timeline than they were in ours by this point, partly because among the divergences Roy Thomas has ended up as Editor In-Chief at Charlton, thus while Charlton still has the worst payrate in the industry among the major publishers, it's also become known as a great place to launch a career at, due to Roy's influence Charlton ended up buying up the rights to a bunch of former Nedor and Lev Gleason characters, as well as some originals

Mighty Comics

when All-American bought out Atlas there wasn't much room at AA for Stan Lee, thus when Archie Comics decided they wanted to to enter the Superhero ring again thanks to the new boom for the genre they ended up hiring Stan Lee to head their new sub-imprint, the resulting comics at first were mostly new concepts reusing existing superhero names that Archie already owned from when they were MLJ Publishing, though gradually new concepts would emerge, as of 1974 Archie Comics and thus Mighty Comics have been bought out by Disney(as a result of Disney and Gold Key Comics getting into a dispute over licensing and Disney deciding it'd be cheaper to buy an existing company rather than start up a comics division from scratch)

Escape Comics

Escape Comics was founded in 1953 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, in 1957 they absorbed Magazine Enterprises which gave them the Fox Comics characters, their roster is a mixture of those characters and new concepts from Jack Kirby and others

the timeline goes past that point, but personally I feel it kinda falls apart by the time of the Bronze Age to Iron Age transition on a plausibility level, plus most of the neat little micro-heroes the author had made were of this period anyways

Brightest timeline for Johnny Ryan I guess....

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Why's the imprint with Jack Kirby got Hawkeye? He was created by Stan Lee and Don Heck. (Yes I had to Google that, but I'd assumed it was Lee and Ditko, I did know it wasn't Kirby)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

From the Idiots on Social Media PYF thread

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Harley Quinn is actually a classic character archetype that has appeared in literature for centuries and can be seen in the art of most prehistoric cultures

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Why's the imprint with Jack Kirby got Hawkeye? He was created by Stan Lee and Don Heck. (Yes I had to Google that, but I'd assumed it was Lee and Ditko, I did know it wasn't Kirby)

I think Don Heck is at Escape in this timeline, I'd have to double check the thread as the guy had a big chart showing where a bunch of guys in the industry ended up since everything is all jumbled around

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Who ended up with John Byrne ?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Lewis died.

Read March.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Endless Mike posted:

John Lewis died.

Read March.

Absolutely this.

I got to meet him and see him a couple times at SDCC and I was literally just looking at memories from that yesterday. This one hits really hard.

March is a loving must read.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't read March, but I was looking for About Face yesterday (I always forget the name, made sure to bookmark it) by the same artist.

https://popula.com/2019/02/24/about-face/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drrockso20 posted:

DC Comics

All-American Comics

Charlton Comics

Mighty Comics

Escape Comics

Neat! I actually found not one but two Jim Shooter threads that got posted recently. I kinda think the one where MacFarlane stays at Marvel is a bit out there though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Neat! I actually found not one but two Jim Shooter threads that got posted recently. I kinda think the one where MacFarlane stays at Marvel is a bit out there though.

Does he just keep doing his solo Spider-Man book forever?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Does he just keep doing his solo Spider-Man book forever?

No, he creates Spawn as part of Epic Comics, which seems weird to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Spawn could absolutely work in a shared universe as long as they treated the Hell poo poo the same way Marvel treats Asgard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I don't think you get something like Spawn in all its freakish glory without McFarlane specifically being an aggrieved creator. I'd imagine you'd end up with another book entirely with a lot of common elements, especially if McFarlane was still being edited by someone like Ralph Macchio.