Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I just found out, as part of digging through the 16-bit Sega library for Youtube purposes, that Prime got a Sega CD game.

yes, that Prime, the Ultraverse character who was created by Actual Pedophile Gerard Jones and comes off uncomfortable as all hell when you know that about him (because he's basically a Captain Marvel ripoff [as in, Shazam Captain Marvel, not Marvel Captain Marvel]).

and this game has the funniest loving theme song I have ever heard in my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZjtR3qlMo4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Isn't Spawn's look just pretty much a colour swapped Prowler/Spiderman anyway. There could be so many in universe jokes about how he gets mistaken for Spiderman

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
And then Deadpool comes in and think Deathstroke...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

What if...comics sounds like a fun thread. One person starts, each person has to build off the immediately proceeding post. Like that kamandi mini DC did the other year
:hmmyes:

I'm not sure if I'd be any good at 'yes, and' though.

Skwirl posted:

Spawn could absolutely work in a shared universe as long as they treated the Hell poo poo the same way Marvel treats Asgard.

Madkal posted:

Isn't Spawn's look just pretty much a colour swapped Prowler/Spiderman anyway. There could be so many in universe jokes about how he gets mistaken for Spiderman
Epic was meant to be the creator-owned imprint so I think in this case Spawn would still be its own thing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has Moore been reached for comment on HBO Watchmen? I assume he'd hate it, but maybe he'd appreciate they tried something new...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Has Moore been reached for comment on HBO Watchmen? I assume he'd hate it, but maybe he'd appreciate they tried something new...

I can guess: he hasn't watched it, will never watch it, but hates it and thinks it is derivative garbage none the less.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure Moore just wants to be done with that business at this point, but given that his primary sticking point on this issue has been the violation of creator rights rather than originality, I highly doubt it would move his position in the slightest.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arkhams Razor posted:

I'm pretty sure Moore just wants to be done with that business at this point, but given that his primary sticking point on this issue has been the violation of creator rights rather than originality, I highly doubt it would move his position in the slightest.

Yeah, if I were a creator who had been massively hosed over by the industry I don't think I would be that impressed when they found new ways to gently caress me over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, if I were a creator who had been massively hosed over by the industry I don't think I would be that impressed when they found new ways to gently caress me over.

I think he'd be surprised at a new way to be hosed over. Like "wow, never like this before!"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Didn't he describe the series as children he lost custody to, and is painful for him to be reminded of basically?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the Watchmen tv series is a grandkid that shows up wanting to know about his family?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Watchmen TV making people aware of exactly how hosed the AA community has been, historically, right before the BLM protests *was* pretty interesting, tbh.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I think Alan Moore at some point gave his blessing to the Saturday Morning cartoon adaptation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

Watchmen TV making people aware of exactly how hosed the AA community has been, historically, right before the BLM protests *was* pretty interesting, tbh.

If nothing else, making people aware of the Tulsa race riots makes it an important show.

Edit: jesus that was a hell of a typo.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 19, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

If nothing else, making people aware of the Tulsa race riots makes it an impotent show.
Agreed.

I was couchsurfing late at night after a quick jog and started the first Ep up.

God-loving-drat. I didn't make it through the whole intro of the first episode. Really sobering and expertly built up, especially with the heroic film giving way to a more and more disjointed piano playing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, it's good to see that superhero TV has been more willing to engage with issues that the movies can't (or won't).

Really bummed Cloak & Dagger got canned.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

I think Alan Moore at some point gave his blessing to the Saturday Morning cartoon adaptation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

I thought that was a joke from the Simpsons

And I am sure Moore would appreciate the awesome Trent Reznor/Atticus Finch score if he cared about such things

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I thought that was a joke from the Simpsons

And I am sure Moore would appreciate the awesome Trent Reznor/Atticus Finch score if he cared about such things

The Simpsons had a gag about Baby Watchmen, in an episode with Alan Moore briefly doing a guest voice, but that opening is also a joke, there wasn't ever a Watchmen cartoon.

As far as I know the only adaptation of Moore's work he's ever said something nice about was the For The Man Who Has Everything episode of Justice League.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

Trent Reznor/Atticus Finch

gdi stay out of my To Kill a Mockingbird slashfic folder

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

The Simpsons had a gag about Baby Watchmen, in an episode with Alan Moore briefly doing a guest voice, but that opening is also a joke, there wasn't ever a Watchmen cartoon.

As far as I know the only adaptation of Moore's work he's ever said something nice about was the For The Man Who Has Everything episode of Justice League.

He also said that David Hayter's script for a Watchmen movie was the best anybody could do

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Did he have input on the RPG? I thought he did, but could be wrong.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Uthor posted:

Did he have input on the RPG? I thought he did, but could be wrong.

Pretty sure he did, as that was made before he and DC had problems

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gripweed posted:

He also said that David Hayter's script for a Watchmen movie was the best anybody could do
Afaik Hayter's script was the one where Sally Jupiter threw energy-pellets by making the peace sign and pulling back on invisible bands, right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

Was he talking about Snake or about Big Boss when he said that?

I think it was Dave Gibbons who gave a hearty lol to the SatAM thing.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hayter does movie scripts too, He wrote the first two X-Men movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was in the weirdly not horrible but still pretty bad Guyver sequel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

David D. Davidson posted:

Hayter does movie scripts too, He wrote the first two X-Men movies.
He was also working on a Lost Planet spec like 10ish years ago. Dude gets work.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

He also directed a movie about werewolves.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty sure he did, as that was made before he and DC had problems

I don’t think he was involved with the first RPG, Who Watches the Watchmen, but he was heavily involved with the next one, Taking Out the Trash. He was also involved with the Watchmen Sourcebook, even though it came out in 1990, after he left DC. They were all recently reprinted in the Watchmen Companion.

By the way, is there going to be a new thread, or is this one getting a new title? It’s no longer (or not yet) Spring.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Sure thing!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 21, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Found this at a used bookstore. I'm guessing it's not worth anything but figured I'd check before handing it off to my kid. It's an uncorrected proof so lot of sketch work or a few spots where it's straight up a text description of what picture will go there

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wait, wait. Marvels Universal Madona, Engleheart's pet character that he tried to ram into every story he wrote, who was supposed to be all important... was because she was supposed to get down with a plant and make a vegetable jesus? hahahahahahahahaahahah

(I'm starting my readthrough on empyre).

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Well, a plant ghost inhabiting her boyfriend's corpse. But yes.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Comics are the best.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Somebody teel Fantagraphics or whoever that we desperately need an English Jucika collection

https://twitter.com/JucikaDaily/status/1286315132117831686?s=20

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Quick question, what would a ballpark number of total individual comic issues featuring the x-men be? I tried googling but couldn't find an answer. Like 2,000 or so?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Quick question, what would a ballpark number of total individual comic issues featuring the x-men be? I tried googling but couldn't find an answer. Like 2,000 or so?

This seems to be all the specifically X-men comic series, you could add them up to get a start. But then you'd have to look up Wolverine, X-Force, X-factor, etc. spinoffs. And I have no idea how you'd find all the guest appearances.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Men_Comic_Books

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What's a good place to buy hardcovers from? I wanted to use the last of my covid bucks to get the hardcover of Murder Falcon, but amazon is listing it for 60 bucks through resellers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/groups.php?group_name=6

2678 appearances. This isn't perfect but it's probably really close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Soonmot posted:

What's a good place to buy hardcovers from? I wanted to use the last of my covid bucks to get the hardcover of Murder Falcon, but amazon is listing it for 60 bucks through resellers.

This is the big "Not Amazon" retailer:
https://www.instocktrades.com/