Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

The Death and Return of Superman animated films were fairly enjoyable.

I watched the first one of those and it had so little effort put into it When Superman first shows up they didn't even try to make it impressive. It felt like episode 37 of a TV show where they're just like, oh hey. Superman is here again this week. And then when Doomsday showed, up oh my god, it was so much worse. The whole deal is you get a slow reveal of the monster, but with the movie they didn't even try, "Everybody already knows what Doomsday looks like, don't bother trying to do anything dramatic when his suit is torn to reveal his face for the first time. It doesn't matter. None of this matters" Just completely lifeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

sliami posted:

I'm reading the Hernandez bros' Mister X and it's so fab—Jaime's style is so structural yet evocative, and Gilbert's cartooning is lovely. What do you guys think of the bros?

Big fan but I don't think I've read Mister X. I have like four big omnibuses and then 7 or 8 of the new Love and Rockets books they put out each year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The Suicide Squad cartoon was pretty good (and what the movie should have been like) and Gods and Monsters is solid. I should rewatch New Frontier - I just finished rereading the graphic novel and it is still amazing. All the rest of the movies range from mediocre to dire.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I saw the Titans-related movies and it was startling how very joyless they were. There was the odd nice touch here and there, like Raven saying a prayer for the Titans and calling them her brothers and sister, but I didn't have a lot for either of them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

sliami posted:

I'm reading the Hernandez bros' Mister X and it's so fab—Jaime's style is so structural yet evocative, and Gilbert's cartooning is lovely. What do you guys think of the bros?

I’m generally positive on the Hernandez brothers work but what I really want to talk about is how dope Mister X is. It is one of those pieces of media that I adore but it seems like no one else has even heard of. I should really reread it and Electropolis.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Big fan but I don't think I've read Mister X.

I've had the hardcover on my shelf forever and never got around to reading it. I meant to read it after I did the big Lynd Ward read through since the series leans into the same artistic structure, but haven't gone back yet...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm never really read any Mister X, but I fully cosign essentially the full span of Jaime's Locas/Hoppers stuff from (kind of rough but promising) start to the present. I feel like Gilbert was more assured early on, but at some point the Palomar stories kind of fell down a multiple-layers-of-reality Balloon Tit Luba Expanded Universe hole, and I've found myself skimming over decent chunks of his stories from New Stories onward.

Some of Gilbert's more recent non-Palomar/L&R books have been super great though, like Marble Season and Bumperhead.

If anyone isn't sure how to get 'in' to Love & Rockets (it was a confusing jumble of collections/reprints for a long time) the L&R Library series is a solid and well organized reprint program, and it's pretty much all on Comixology Unlimited. The key thing to remember is that Love & Rockets has always been a single comic written and drawn by two brothers (briefly three at the outset) and while there's once in a great while some overlap, you could basically read all of either brother's stuff independent from the other. You should read both because they're both great, but if you want to skip ahead in Jaime's stuff or trail off on Gilbert's it won't affect the reading of the other.

There are giant hardcovers that you could buy if you like giant hardcovers, and smaller hardcovers if you want more compact collections of stuff, but (I think) aside from a few extra fight scene pages in Gods & Science: Return of the Ti-Girls I don't think there's anything in any of the hardcovers that aren't also included in the library trades.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 6, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Edge & Christian posted:

I feel like Gilbert was more assured early on, but at some point the Palomar stories kind of fell down a multiple-layers-of-reality Balloon Tit Luba Expanded Universe hole, and I've found myself skimming over decent chunks of his stories from New Stories onward.

Some of Gilbert's more recent non-Palomar/L&R books have been super great though, like Marble Season and Bumperhead.

Yes on all counts--what an apt description of how bizarre the Luba stuff gets with the movie genre stories and the huge family with all its drama--it's all sort of wonderful in a weird way, like someone's private dream that you get to see rendered over the course of decades, but yeah, I like the Hoppers stuff a good bit more.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've always been curious about Love and Rockets. We have two GNs at the library where I work (and which is semi open to me) but I heard that it's a long expansive work and I have been nervous about just jumping randomly in instead of starting at the beginning. For reference the two GNs we have are The Love Bunglers and Julio's day

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

I've always been curious about Love and Rockets. We have two GNs at the library where I work (and which is semi open to me) but I heard that it's a long expansive work and I have been nervous about just jumping randomly in instead of starting at the beginning. For reference the two GNs we have are The Love Bunglers and Julio's day
Julio's Day is, for what it's worth, almost entirely self-contained.
Love Bunglers is maybe my favorite L&R story, but it's also the culmination of character/relationship beats that have been threaded through all of Jaime's Hoppers/Locas stories for thirty two years, and probably hits harder if you've read all of that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I read the Locas stories as my first 2020 reading project, and the only thing I’d add is that I had to push through the first book. It’s fun and unique, but only barely touches the greatness that the story eventually becomes.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I haven't read a LOT a lot of Hernandez stuff (The first couple L+R, Mister X, Maria M., and I'm currently reading Whoa, Nellie!), but the impression I get from their stories is they really love people, you know? It's often noted just how adept they are at portraying this menagerie of characters and making them all someone you can care about/understand.

I feel like my own work would be more improved and feel more lived in if I was more social—because all the fictional conventions and trope subversion in the world can't replace the knowledge you get from paying attention to the world around you.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

lifg posted:

I read the Locas stories as my first 2020 reading project, and the only thing I’d add is that I had to push through the first book. It’s fun and unique, but only barely touches the greatness that the story eventually becomes.

Yeah, once the sci-fi elements get excised for the most part, it really opens up. That's always made it a bit of a hard sell to convince people on how good it is--though I guess there's probably people who would have been more excited if that stuff remained primary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, once the sci-fi elements get excised for the most part, it really opens up. That's always made it a bit of a hard sell to convince people on how good it is--though I guess there's probably people who would have been more excited if that stuff remained primary.

It definitely gets way better once it stops being about sci fi adventures and focuses entirely on the characters in their regular lives. But there still should've been dinosaurs and spaceships.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think of all the New Stories volumes, the third one is just masterful in how things weave together. From the opening bizarre and violent Scarlet by Starlight and how it ties into the beginning of Gilbert's second story to seeing the adult Calvin in the first part of the Love Bunglers and then seeing his childhood in the really powerful Browntown. They really are excellent story tellers and artists.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I read Gilbert's Palomar almost 15 years ago in that oversized hardcover. It was fine, but last year I binge-read ALL of Jaime's Locas/Hoppers stories, from Maggie the Mechanic all the way up to The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me?, and it was one of the most rewarding reading experiences I've ever had. I think the early sci-fi-tinged stuff was a bit rough to get through, but those last two graphic novels were so amazing and powerful, seeing how those characters had grown and aged together, having been with them every step of the way. It helps that I love Jaime's art, too.

It was triumphant. That's the best way I can describe Jaime's Love and Rockets work.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Would you say reading them has been helpful towards your own writing?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I used to prefer Gilbert but nowadays I also feel like Jaime is the one who keeps drawing me back. Tonta is perfect, he's still so much at the top of his game. I've never sat down and done a systematic reread of L+R but I started reading it... I guess about 15 years ago and I think I probably have gotten around in a piecemeal fashion to most of the material. It's really extraordinary overall even if, like E&C notes, the Luba stuff and the showbiz intrigue kind of gets overwhelming.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

From this discussion, I started Maggie the Mechanic last night from Comixology Unlimited, so thanks? I can definitely see why people are calling it rough. I'm not sure I'm *really* enjoying it just yet, but I can see flashes of what you all are discussing enjoying, so I'm definitely going to keep reading through.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

I forget which issue this is from, probably early, but it’s the exact moment I fell in love with this comic.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

sliami posted:

Would you say reading them has been helpful towards your own writing?

Since I write a food blog and academic stuff, I'd say probably not. But I still really enjoyed it.

Unless you're making fun of me.

But this is a helpful guide to reading Love and Rockets, since it is indeed complicated to figure out the right order. If your public library offers the Hoopla service, they will probably include most of the Love and Rockets Library Editions, which is how I read it.
https://www.fantagraphics.com/howtoreadloveandrockets/?sef_rewrite=1

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

lifg posted:

I forget which issue this is from, probably early, but it’s the exact moment I fell in love with this comic.

That's great! There's this extended scene I can't find handy at the moment where it's a memory of this girl who is correcting Maggie and Hopey on the lyrics they're singing to an X Ray Spex song and it's such a perfect characterization of her, that she's correcting her friends who are singing this goofy song and completely alienating herself from the joyful moment and then there's this amazing illustration of these punk kids at a show defiantly staring back at the police.

I should re-read Locas, it's so good.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's great! There's this extended scene I can't find handy at the moment where it's a memory of this girl who is correcting Maggie and Hopey on the lyrics they're singing to an X Ray Spex song and it's such a perfect characterization of her, that she's correcting her friends who are singing this goofy song and completely alienating herself from the joyful moment and then there's this amazing illustration of these punk kids at a show defiantly staring back at the police.

I should re-read Locas, it's so good.

Me too, that might be my next thing. I've been reading a lot of Mexican fiction right now and I'm kind of in a Huerta kind of mood.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/edhalter/status/1258181079749611520?s=20

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

i'm glad Betty was able to find herself a nice, strong girlfriend

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Freddy handsome as gently caress.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Looks like a take on Valentino

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey everyone, just wanted to touch base since ive been gone a while.

turns out my isp wanted """""money""""" and since covid had basically killed my income when autopay tried to go through and my bank account was empty they killed my service and with all the activation fees and well.. still not having most of my income i havent been able to reactivate it. so thats why i havent been around. obviously ghosting during a pandemic isnt the greatest timing but rest assured i have not been gone because i got sick and died or anything. i was recently told that the school district has teamed up with one of the isps in town to offer free wifi in their parking lots so im posting this from my nearest elementary school right now lol. ill try and check in every few days. hope everyone else is doing well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i'm glad Betty was able to find herself a nice, strong girlfriend

Agreed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

turns out my isp wanted """""money""""" and since covid had basically killed my income when autopay tried to go through and my bank account was empty they killed my service and with all the activation fees and well.. still not having most of my income i havent been able to reactivate it. so thats why i havent been around. obviously ghosting during a pandemic isnt the greatest timing but rest assured i have not been gone because i got sick and died or anything. i was recently told that the school district has teamed up with one of the isps in town to offer free wifi in their parking lots so im posting this from my nearest elementary school right now lol. ill try and check in every few days. hope everyone else is doing well

I am very happy that you are okay!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Glad you are okay. Stay safe.

Also I guess it should be said: any bss goons - feel free to check in once in a while to say how you are doing and if you are okay (or if not even). If you feel like you are lacking in social contact feel free to say hi and tell us how you're doing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

If you feel like you are lacking in social contact feel free to say hi and tell us how you're doing.
I told my wife yesterday that you forums guys are really my most active social link (even on non-COVID days).

She looked.... i don't know. What's a word for a feeling between sad, nauseous, pitiful and the ??? guy??

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well who else is going to listen to me rant about the merits of Maggot if not you guys

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

Looks like a take on Valentino
A Betty Boop wiki says that he was based on Arthur Jarrett, which I can kind of see? I guess he sang some songs that Fleisher set to cartoons, too. I have no idea of the pop culture landscape of 1932 well enough to know if this was deliberate synergy or if this is as relatively coincidental as like "Bill Gates and the Rock pose for a photo at some event"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

A Betty Boop wiki says that he was based on Arthur Jarrett, which I can kind of see? I guess he sang some songs that Fleisher set to cartoons, too. I have no idea of the pop culture landscape of 1932 well enough to know if this was deliberate synergy or if this is as relatively coincidental as like "Bill Gates and the Rock pose for a photo at some event"

This is kinda weird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwP0nb5rDI
It's instrumental music with cartoons , then it just sort of switches to live action of Arthur Jarrett, and karaoke style lyrics with and a bouncing ball, then back to cartoons with just instrumental music.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 9, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

This is kinda weird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwP0nb5rDI
It's instrumental music with cartoons , then it just sort of switches to live action of Arthur Jarrett, and karaoke style lyrics with and a bouncing ball, then back to cartoons with just instrumental music.
This is only a year after sound-equipped movie theaters were outnumbering silent movie theaters, and the tradition was still to have a bunch of short features leading to the FEATURE PRESENTATION so I think what we're seeing here is an early attempt at recycling animation footage and an incredibly basic version of the Music Video fifty years before MTV.

I was also reading something about how in the era of silent movies it was accepted that most movie theaters were social gatherings where you could talk in the theater and in between films people would shout requests to the organist/musicians, so maybe having an officially endorsed sing-a-long of a popular tune was meant to encourage people making noise right now during this so they'd shut up during the feature presentation?

In short, no one really knew what the hell they were doing with talkies and it was the Great Depression, so they made what they made.

Actually, this kind of explains it: these were being made before most theaters actually were equipped for sound, so the theaters with speakers would play the music/singers, all of the other theaters would have live musicians playing over the cartoons and then everyone was supposed to join in for the follow-the-bouncing-ball/karaoke part of the shorts! They did know what they were doing, kind of!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some more info about Lunar Distribution

https://www.newsarama.com/50070-lunar-distribution-christina-meckler-dcbs.html

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That is a lot of not saying anything definite.

quote:

There is no information that is being provided to us by the retailer that we could not get by some basic research, aside from ordering quantities, and we are not sure how that information would benefit us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

LCS is apparently going to reopen with curbside pickup, and they seem to have a program where other customers are paying for less fortunate readers' back orders.

So I think I'm back in.

Roth fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 9, 2020