Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Because "The entire Chris Claremont X-Men library" feels like cheating, my first choice is "Essential X-Men" vol. 2. At the age of 13, I found one of these at a Borders and was stunned to find so many essential (hawr) stories in one trade. It collects the first appearances of Alpha Flight, Proteus, Dazzler, Emma Frost, and Kitty Pryde; the entire Dark Phoenix Saga; both issues of Days of Future Past; the Demon issue; and two pretty rad fights against Arcade and the Wendigo. Discovering that book is one of my happiest memories as a comics reader. It's arguably the best X-Men has ever been, and I never get tired of fawning over the artwork. John Byrne and Terry Austin were unbeatable together, and they're even better in black and white.

My second is Sam and Max: Surfin' The Highway. The lines are beautiful, it has superb lettering from Tom Orzechowski and Lois Buhalis, and it's the funniest goddamn comic I've ever read. I've gone through the entire trade dozens of times and I still cry laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

There's Bitter Root by David F. Walker, Chuck Brown, and Sanford Greene. Chuck is also writing On The Stump, which starts later this month.

EDIT: Oh cripes, I forgot Bitch Planet's artist, Valentine De Landro!

Minister of Sound fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 3, 2020

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

I think Wizard was the current-day CBR of its time (if CBR was peppered with lad mag humor, anyway). Most of it was mainstream superhero puff pieces and listicles, but occasionally there'd be a decent interview or a cool art feature. It also heaped plenty of praise on the bigger Vertigo titles of their time, and other alternative darlings like Bone and Sin City. It was through Wizard that I first heard about Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis, and Brian K. Vaughan.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

I'm auctioning off some Wicked + Divine trades and hardcovers, if anyone's interested.

https://twitter.com/ClaytonCowles/status/1250424444188676096

https://twitter.com/ClaytonCowles/status/1250424742470774785

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

I'd like an invite too.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Redlands is awesome, especially if you love witches and hate white male supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

They still have Black Hammer, Umbrella Academy, Critical Role, Usagi Yojimbo, Neil Gaiman adaptations, and other assorted creator-owneds. They have Orville and Bill & Ted adaptations coming up too.