Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FilthyImp posted:

NO PRIZE:
sliding timescale!

Why..m why don't we have a no prize smiley?

We do!

Behold:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vincent posted:

For as much as we hate Slott's writing here, it looks like Marvel can't get enough and now the big company-wide event that will surely change everything is being helmed by him.

Wait, is this Empyre or something else?

Also: gently caress.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ugh. I will only accept this if it means that Ewing gets Fantastic Four.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Random Stranger posted:

Me: "A dog at 9/11? Why not just have him at Pearl Harbor?"

Scholastic Books: "Because he's already done that one!"

Actually, that one's coming out later this year.

And the author's said that, as a children's book that's presumably meant to teach kids about history, 9/11 is a historical event to its target audience now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Random Stranger posted:

One neat thing is that Amazing Fantasy had been turned into an all Steve Ditko book for the last six months of its existence. If Jack Kirby had drawn Spider-Man like the original plan, we might be taking about the significance of that month's Journey Into Mystery 83.

I thought the reason Spidey debuted in Amazing Fantasy was because it was getting cancelled anyway, as a kind of Hail Mary.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

How Wonderful! posted:

Credit where credit's due:

The idea of his car just being parked next to his grave is extremely funny to me.

This is in the abstract a pretty near idea for a heist.

Meanwhile, Vulpes Vulpes sighs and crunches up the post-it note that says 'FELICIA STEALS SISTINE CHAPEL'S CEILING' and throws it in a bin.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

I think most of them take place there. Green Lantern/Silver Surfer doesn't but that's a lead in to JLA/Avengers.

Wait, what? WHAT? There's a JLA/Avengers prequel?

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. 'Kraven's Last Hunt' for Batman would be a Tuesday.

Of course it originally was going to be a Batman story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently the final movie in that weird DC animated movie universe came out and it basically pulls an Ultimatum on that universe before making it all pointless by having a version of Flashpoint happen at the very end, which is really bizarre because that universe already had a Flashpoint happen to begin with

Does that mean Flashpoint itself gets retconned out of existence?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh my god, someone in GBS is going through the Brazilian Megaman comic.

It's a trip. Also :nws:.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

How Wonderful! posted:

I hadn't realized it until somebody pointed it out, but Chris Cooper, the birdwatching guy who got targeted by the racist lady in Central Park yesterday, is the same Chris Cooper who wrote the under-rated Darkhold series for Marvel in the early 90s, as well as a bunch of other comics credits and LGBT activism.

His sister who was also there wrote some comics too, I think. It sucks they were in that situation yesterday, but fortunately the racist lady's the only one who got in trouble.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh, weird, I'd never thought about that before, that Xavier gave the X-Men their code names. Poor Beast!

Do they ever explore that in the comics? Or even address a mutant choosing their own name?

I believe Kitty Pryde chose her codename and costume. It...did not go well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I saw this thread on twitter and it raises some interesting questions on how comics are going to have to change.

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1268641418475692037

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

The slack i set up when we thought tax was gonna go bankrupt still exists if people are genuinely worried about the forums dying

Do you have a link?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Please can I have a discord invite?

It's been an honour posting with you all. See you on the other side.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know, considering how Powers of X was actually Powers of 10, I guess the title might be a tarot reference. Wonder what it might portend.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 4, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saoshyant posted:

Bring back that girl with the tarot cards from the original Hellions! Make her important in this crossover! This would be silliest possible thing and I want to see it.

I think she'd fall foul of Krakoa's ban on precognitives...but apparently she was already alive again before House of X in Spider-Man/Deadpool, so that's interesting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, one of my guilty pleasures is alternate history. One site I've started frequenting has a recurring column looking at the history (and possible divergences, naturally) of comics. It's pretty good!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drrockso20 posted:

There was a fun alternate history thread I was reading a while ago where the initial big divergence is that National Comics and All-American Comics don't end up merging to form the company we know as DC Comics, and this causes all sorts of funny divergences, I'll go dig up more info on it as it's pretty interesting

I use Comic Rack on my phone, works pretty well

Ooh, please do!

One idea I've been interested in is if Jim Shooter bought Marvel in the 80s (I think because SFDebris brought it up in his series on comics). And then someone posted a great article on Carol Kalish in the Discord and if she'd lived that would be an interesting point of divergence. And of course then there's Dwayne McDuffie.

I guess that's kinda why I've been so interested in the fantasy draft thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drrockso20 posted:

sure here's the thread it was in;

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/five-colors-for-a-dime-a-comic-book-timeline-redux.236176

so basically as I mentioned before the big divergence point is rather than Max Gaines selling All-American Comics to National Comics to form DC, he instead decided to detach All-American Comics from National completely and go it on his own, due to this by 1974 there are five big players in the field of Superhero comics;

DC Comics

even though National/DC wasn't able to acquire All-American, they still were basically the top dog in the industry, and much like in OTL they still ended up acquiring Fawcett and Quality comics, due to not having the AA characters the ones they acquired from Fawcett and Quality have much larger roles than in our reality

All-American Comics

All-American has done rather well in this timeline, in the early 50's they bought out Atlas Comics(the result of Atlas's distributor going out of business, in OTL this merely resulted in Atlas/Marvel ending up having to make a deal with DC's personal distributor in a very restrictive deal, here though Martin Goodman decided to just sell his company instead to DC's biggest competition), which means AA owns the Golden Age Marvel/Atlas characters, however much like OTL DC, when the Silver Age boom for Superheroes happened, since AA wasn't actively publishing any superhero comics at the time, they chose to do a full relaunch with new versions of all their characters(unlike this timeline's DC)

Charlton Comics

Charlton is doing a bit better in this timeline than they were in ours by this point, partly because among the divergences Roy Thomas has ended up as Editor In-Chief at Charlton, thus while Charlton still has the worst payrate in the industry among the major publishers, it's also become known as a great place to launch a career at, due to Roy's influence Charlton ended up buying up the rights to a bunch of former Nedor and Lev Gleason characters, as well as some originals

Mighty Comics

when All-American bought out Atlas there wasn't much room at AA for Stan Lee, thus when Archie Comics decided they wanted to to enter the Superhero ring again thanks to the new boom for the genre they ended up hiring Stan Lee to head their new sub-imprint, the resulting comics at first were mostly new concepts reusing existing superhero names that Archie already owned from when they were MLJ Publishing, though gradually new concepts would emerge, as of 1974 Archie Comics and thus Mighty Comics have been bought out by Disney(as a result of Disney and Gold Key Comics getting into a dispute over licensing and Disney deciding it'd be cheaper to buy an existing company rather than start up a comics division from scratch)

Escape Comics

Escape Comics was founded in 1953 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, in 1957 they absorbed Magazine Enterprises which gave them the Fox Comics characters, their roster is a mixture of those characters and new concepts from Jack Kirby and others

the timeline goes past that point, but personally I feel it kinda falls apart by the time of the Bronze Age to Iron Age transition on a plausibility level, plus most of the neat little micro-heroes the author had made were of this period anyways

Neat! I actually found not one but two Jim Shooter threads that got posted recently. I kinda think the one where MacFarlane stays at Marvel is a bit out there though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Does he just keep doing his solo Spider-Man book forever?

No, he creates Spawn as part of Epic Comics, which seems weird to me.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

What if...comics sounds like a fun thread. One person starts, each person has to build off the immediately proceeding post. Like that kamandi mini DC did the other year
:hmmyes:

I'm not sure if I'd be any good at 'yes, and' though.

Skwirl posted:

Spawn could absolutely work in a shared universe as long as they treated the Hell poo poo the same way Marvel treats Asgard.

Madkal posted:

Isn't Spawn's look just pretty much a colour swapped Prowler/Spiderman anyway. There could be so many in universe jokes about how he gets mistaken for Spiderman
Epic was meant to be the creator-owned imprint so I think in this case Spawn would still be its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, it's good to see that superhero TV has been more willing to engage with issues that the movies can't (or won't).

Really bummed Cloak & Dagger got canned.