Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I managed to get a refund on this and cancel my order, but beware of Valiant's Digital Comic bundle on their official site. It sounds like a great deal, but the DRM on it is awful. While they will give you 591 digital comics on a USB and its coming from the creators so you are supporting them, you are limited to two devices and if you want to use more you have to pay $30 with no "unregister/reregister" deal. They approved the refund immediately upon request so that's good and Valiant from May 2012 to December 2018 produced some drat good comics, but the DRM is awful. Like, not being able to copy the files would have been fine, but a device limit is a dealbreaker.

My advice? Get comixology unlimited: almost all of Valiant's comics are on the service. I just thought I'd throw some money to the creators since I bet they don't see any of comixology unlimited's fees but that DRM is a killer and they do not tell you about it on the sell page. Like, I'd be too anxious to ever register the device because I'd lose everything when I inevitably have to upgrade my computer. Might as well just pay a subscription fee for one or two months and read what I want.

This is the product, by the way. https://www.valiantstore.com/valiant-complete-digital-comic-book-collection.html

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endless Mike posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you say it's "coming from the creators"? Valiant is a work-for-hire company no different than Marvel or DC.

Oh right, I'm treating Valiant like Image. It's not a real Indie company. Got my wires crossed there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How has Atomic Robo been? I stopped reading after the Spectre of Tomorrow. I got a $40 Amazon Giftcard from my credit card rewards so I decided to buy the trade of Spectre of Tomorrow and Dawn of a New Era to get me back up to date. I think I also need Raid on Marauders Island and The Nicodemus Job from the companion comic to round it out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

8one6 posted:

Is there not a current Atomic Robo thread? I just finished The Nicodemus Job and it was great!

The thread closed down forever ago.

Maybe I can make a new one. I am behind on Real Science Adventures.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am very far behind but I will say that the arming of the hero is one of the most common staples of western fiction dating back to the Illaid. It's mostly likely born from Bards trying to appease children by going at length at all the cool weapons and gear the heroes would wear and use. There is a reason so many stories use the "suit up" scene as it is either an examined or unexamined trope of western storytelling. I remember reading paragraph after paragraph about how Achiles donned his shield and rose his spear. It was actually a little cool. I mean, gear is cool. One of the only things I remember of Sir Gaiwan and the Green Knight is the cool idea of a man in pure green armor able to just walk off a beheading. That and the b.s. way that he got out of getting his head chopped off.

Totally unrelated, but did anyone ever read Grendel? It's a really good book. Has nothing to do with anything else I said, but I highly recommend it to people look for a fantastical existentialist novel written very competently.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I've read nearly every Grendel comic.

I meant Grendel the book by John Gardner.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone got a reading list of Wildstorm Imprint books? This article sold me on it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nevermind. Someone on the r/comicbooks discord, which is amazing since the owners are socially left and the main mod is one of my friends and super hardcore leftist, linked me to this guide.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok posted:

Nevermind. Someone on the r/comicbooks discord, which is amazing since the owners are socially left and the main mod is one of my friends and super hardcore leftist, linked me to this guide.

Actually, while this guide is cool, its a little hard to follow because the creator didn't link all the posts together. Anyone know any other?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Weird elseworlds idea: Clark and Lex Luthor become good friends when their kids like he did with Lana. Clark confides in both Lex and Lana about his alien origin and powers, like in most continuities. And then, you know, everything else happens. Might be interesting exploring the slow falling out between the pair and add an extra dimension to their eternal rivalry.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is this an edit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I saw this thread on twitter and it raises some interesting questions on how comics are going to have to change.

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1268641418475692037

I wrote a fanfiction once where Superman was mainly involved with stopping the ultra rich, blue collar criminals, while using his celebrity status to help unions, promote positive social change, and put pressure on politicans to act for the common good. So, that's a suggestion.