Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

It's a small thing but I like that in astro city time is like a real thing and people age out of heroism and move on with their lives

Yeah, I gotta dig out my trades and floppies and do a reread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So i was a lazy poo poo and isntead of digging out my astro city trades, i just :filez: the collection. Instead of the trades, it's single issues and holy poo poo, I did not realize this was an Image series! And published in 95? That was a year after I went to college and had to stop buying comics. Astrocity was one of the first trades I bought getting back into comics around '99. It's also fun reading the letter pages, I wish stuff like that was included in collections.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What I got from that DiDio article is that there's gonna be another DC universe reset?

Did Doomsday clock finish yet?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Acclaim era stuff is going to hurt

On that note an Astro City deep dive would also be fun

I'm actually doing this now, but I don't have the patience to do write ups

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Came to post this

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At least they told you. My boss told me one of our coworkers tested positive, but that our district manager is supposed to be letting people know, so I need to pretend that I'm only then finding out. That was Friday.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

I would be okay with digital only if we could actually own the downloads. If I want to read Marvel, I'll have to use one of their apps, or Comixology. There's no way to "own" the file. That's one thing that Humble Bundle's bundle reminded me of. I happily downloaded some extra series I apparently had in my HB library, and I could get them in CBZ, PDF, or sometimes some other formats. Even with redeeming the Marvel codes on their site from the comics, I don't expect to be able to access those in about a decade or so.

Mostly, I'd hate for my comic shop's employees all to lose their jobs. My store has been so good to one of the employees that they let him bring in his mentally decaying mother, he's got no options and not enough money for 24/7 care she needs otherwise.

At least with comixology, there are plugins that will rip and save your comics into cbr format.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

The thing is, you need more than one person for a podcast. One person lecturing is kind of a dull format, especially for nerdy topics. So here's what I was thinking BSS: what if you call me to talk about some comics that we both read? You can reach out to me with a few suggestions for comics that we'd read, probably about six to eight issues. I'd pick out the one I found to be the most interesting option for conversation, and then we'd record about an hour's conversation on that topic. It could be called Batman's Shameful Podcast (okay, I'd probably tweak that a bit to lose "Batman" from the title to avoid confusion.

Ideally, I'd be looking for topics a bit more obscure and offbeat, and I like comics history so I'd lean toward topics like that. That's not an absolute restriction. I mean, if you really want to talk about a major recent superhero book from the big two, we can, but there's a whole world of stuff that doesn't get a lot of discussion. The idea is to have some fun people get me to read some comics that they want to share with the world and then we talk about them.

If this is something you're interested doing, just say so. Don't worry about technical details here, if it's something you'd like to do then we'll make it work.

Ideally you need a smarty pants and a dummy, and oh boy, I'm your dummy. You're already hip deep in Image and I have this giant chunk of Spawn comics I had planned to read. If you're interested, PM me, I have a link to a facebook video where I read from Scary Stories To Tell In the Dark for a voice sample.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Caught me right before my edit :)

I guess that puts Fatale at the top of the list for me. Either way, need to do a reread of his work. I think I’m short two or three issues of the complete Velvet run but have all of Fatale in a short box somewhere.

Velvet is great, I got that in hardcover.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey How Wonderful, does this endorsement of manga mean that person who posts the volleyball manga as if it's the coolest poo poo in the world is going to be spamming those image threads again?

It's no big deal as I just scroll past all the manga, but I still don't see why we're posting that here, outside the manga thread, when there's an entire forum for it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

This is just the laziest, stupidest kind of gotcha

It wasn't a gotcha. It's one thing to scroll past people posting stuff they like that I don't care for, it's another thing when some fucker is evangelizing their niche bullshit multiple posts in a row.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\yes

Thanks, that was all I was looking for. My comments on manga in general were separate from my actual concern. I probably shouldn't have poked the anime fans like that and I apologize.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

My dad got hospitalized due to a severe attack of confusion related to his dementia. He'd stopped eating for some days and was so out of it he couldn't differentiate between people in his home and people on tv. I can't even visit him because of this stupid loving pandemic.

I am so sorry for what you and your family are experiencing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

That Leah Williams one is super tempting.

I really wish everyone the best with their auctions.

EDIT: I don’t know what DIE is, but that might be a fun one to keep an eye on. Could pool some money together. Maybe even turn it into a twitch stream to raise more money.

Holy poo poo, read Die. It's amazing. It's the 80's D&D cartoon except written by Gillen. So things get weird and fantastical. The art is gorgeous, and the back matter goes into the design of the world and the role playing game based on the game they're playing in world.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

I bounced off of it pretty hard because, while all of this is true, it's also "Depressed Middle-Aged People: The Book."

That explains why it appeals to me so heavily.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will go to bat for Wildcats every single time. The way that series ended was such a phenomenal run.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thor, Strange, Panther, Wanda

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

So you're so dedicated to masturbating that you would risk being eaten by Killer Croc?

Wakanda is the clear #1, no contest. But even with tiny houses, the Shire is number 2, just eat all that good food and smoke all the dank leaf.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Second loving Breakfast.

just like being a prisoner

I imagine the shire makes some good beer, too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Probably nobody cares, but I just found out the cute and funny Heidi Gardner from Saturday Night Live has been married to comic book writer Zeb Wells for ten years. I've never read anything by him. Is he any good?

He should have gotten Spider-Man instead of Slott. Yeah, he's good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I could find them pretty quick, dirty, emphasis on dirty.

hey, shoot me an email at soonmot@hotmail.com

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'll take that invite this name at hotmail

I've been dreading something like this happening, there's no way I'm moving to reddit, especially with that ridiculous post threading they have there. Chat rooms are trash, but I want to keep this community, so discord/slack it is.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

Worse than that-- it's about a homebrew RPG system that he also provides the rules for.

DIE rules.

and thanks to this thread, I finally remembered to order the trades. This book is so good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

But he also has really weird ideas about what will and won't make money and is a petty douche.

Yeah, remember he was why there was no Black Widow movie or merch after Avengers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

does the ten times reset if they die and get resurrected

yeah but they gotta sword fight -=A=- for it, bringing us full circle

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading Excalibur and right at the end of the Cross Time Caper, Claremont has Courtney Ross take Kitty out to celebrate her 15th birthday, get her drunk, and let her go party with a French jazz band on their boat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I really did enjoy the HBO series, but na.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What's a good place to buy hardcovers from? I wanted to use the last of my covid bucks to get the hardcover of Murder Falcon, but amazon is listing it for 60 bucks through resellers.