Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

ninjewtsu posted:

Everyone is rather blase about murder in dorohedoro, but in general the deal with sorcerers is less "they're a bunch of unrepentant assholes" and more "they're relatively normal dudes, except they straight up don't view humans as real people so much as particularly large bugs"

Well, realtively normal for a bunch of dudes with killing powers competing for more power.

I do like that En and co are basically secondary protagonists rather than villains, and our heroes are still unrepentant killers, even if a sorceror coming to Hole is doing so to practice their powers on people. Lots of shades of grey, no "I will not kill, the power of friendship will save us!"

The only thing that will save you is violence and gyoza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Please don't bully Fujita, he really is trying his best.

At nightmarish human experimentation, though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That's just the majority of the cast

It's really all society's fault when you really think about it

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The real villains of this story are the dickheads who established this practice in the first place. They might be still around, but it's far too early to tell.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/tqbhc/status/1217261641449996288

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i watched the first episode and then binged all 20 years of the manga in one go in reaction to it

now i'm even more excited to see what happens in episode two

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
This series feels like it's gonna be an acid trip but it's got just enough weirdness and humor to keep me interested.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm not really worried about it turning out to be style over substance, if that's what you mean; it's done a very elegant job of characterizing these people in a very short time, and it shows a level of trust in its audience to keep up that lovely anime almost universally can't, and doesn't.

I'm optimistic, leaning towards confident.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tried reading the manga a couple times and never got very far, but man, this first episode is hitting all my buttons. Except that, stylized as the CGI characters are, they just really looks worse than the 2D ones and the backgrounds and I wish they weren't.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Someone put a lot of love into animating Noi shaking out her hair and I commend them for that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

These guys all have crosses on their eyes.....

But so does Caiman....

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I was the biggest proponent for a Dorohedoro anime...AND I STILL HAVENT SEEN EPISODE 1
What is wrong with me :psyduck:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I was the biggest proponent for a Dorohedoro anime...AND I STILL HAVENT SEEN EPISODE 1
What is wrong with me :psyduck:

Why did you post this instead of posting "I finally watched the first episode" 20 minutes later

You buffoon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also yes hello Noi is my wife.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i loving love shin and noi

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The poster on the outside of Nikaido's bedroom door is for Over The Top, a weird and nearly forgotten Sylvester Stallone Trucker Armwrestling movie. Now that's a odd pull.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 20, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh boy, you went there, didn't cha?

Oh, them's fighting words now, buddy! :toughguy:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/Echinoderm/status/1218557314501763073?s=20
:holymoley:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Poor Jonathan is the Jojo who'd adjust to Hole the most poorly. It's true what they say: Stand users are assholes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ep2 was good

kaiman and nikaido are so good

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/drsoupcan/status/1219112483027410949

I waited for him in the parking lot afterwards, and I turned him into a mushroom. Who's the winner in that situation?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I wonder if En's thin mustache under the mask is intentional, or if he just doesn't shave all that often.

And Noi is the best, in part but not only because, as mentioned, her magic is healing. Everything else about her is hard work paying off.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I like how cheery everyone is despite how drat dreary the world and setting are.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Any day you get a nice meal and some murder in is a good day

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like how cheery everyone is despite how drat dreary the world and setting are.
Hey, if you gotta live in it, you might as well enjoy it.

Sindai posted:

Any day you get a nice meal and some murder in is a good day
See? This goons gets it. :D :unsmigghh:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Dorohedoro is trying really hard to be the best anime of 2020 already. And if it keeps this up, it might succeed.

Gonna have to think twice about eating mushrooms from now on though...

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Somebody has to say it: En looks like Immortan Joe going through a punk rock mafia don phase.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Dorohedoro came out at the turn of the millennium, so it's really more like Immortan Joe is En as a post-apocalyptic dictator.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 21, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Episode 1: I have cried tears of joy and screams of fervor; DOROHEDORO IS HERE!!! :dehumanize:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dorohedoro anime Ftw.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

What the gently caress did I just watch?

Did Okuyasu just bite that girl's face off?

:catstare:

I want more.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ranzear posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch?

Did Okuyasu just bite that girl's face off?

:catstare:

I want more.

the dorohedoro experience

posts like this make my day tbh, i'm so glad more people are discovering the joy that is dorohedoro

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ranzear posted:

I want more.
You're gonna get it that's for sure lol

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Fereydun posted:

i watched the first episode and then binged all 20 years of the manga in one go in reaction to it

now i'm even more excited to see what happens in episode two

are you me?

For real.. that is exactly what I just did.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I can't find the first episode so I dislike you all

Second episode was hella chill though.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"Why did you throw a fork?" That and callback to itchy face are my favorite things in any media in a while.

This is one of the rare shows for which I want to see a decent dub, but with a continuous cavalcade of cluster F-bombs. It's also the first time in a while something has evoked the horse scene from The Cell.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, I don't doubt they'll let the cusses fly free on this one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Obligatory Black Lagoon rail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how popular this show will get in the future. It's #12 on a/reddit this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how popular this show will get in the future. It's #12 on a/reddit this week.

Hard to make a show popular when youre limiting which countries version of Netflix it shows up on.

:mad:

:canada: