Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I have the worst gimmick, I will post it and my nation overview later tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Utgard Overview

I am the person who took over Jotunheim in the middle of a hellwar against Argatha that I was losing. I wasn't sure if the original player of Jotun was going to want to be in newbad3, so I took over their successor in Late Age, Utgard.

Utgard is very similar to Jotun in most ways. They are still a giant nation and their troops are still mostly the same as they were in MA. Their biggest differences are in the area of their mages. I will cover the details of the mages in greater detail once I start doing turns, but in general they have similar paths access as Jotun did, but now they have cheap non-cap mages that make pretty good researchers and also really good communion slaves since they will always have 1 level of astral. They also have good blood access if I want it.

This is Pissed Off Oprah, who is out for revenge for the humiliating defeat at the hands of the dirty cave people of Argatha in Newbad 2.

I could have gone a lot of ways with my pretender. I would be reliant upon my sacred giants for my expansion and a lot of my muscle until I could start summoning troops. I decided to go with the same pretender chassis as the Jotun player in Newbad2. She is a great expander since she has a good hp tool, regen, decent protection, and trample. For a bless I went with something that is absolutely a silly gimmick that is worth mocking me for, but it sounded funny and it would have some interesting practical effects: I went with a Larger bless with my troops who were already giants.

Larger is kind of a weird bless. Unlock other bless effects it doesn't require the spell Bless to make it active, it is always active. It makes your units beefier and hit harder although with slightly worse defence. In my case my giants are normally size 5, so the sacred giants are now size 6 and have 30% more health and +3 strength and the -1 defence doesn't matter much because their defense was poo poo anyways.

The poison resistance is just because I needed something to spend the 2 nature on. It was mainly just in case I happened to need to fight Ctis or another nation that likes to rely on poison.

I took her awake so she will be with me at the start of the game and help speed up my expansion to help make sure I get off to a good start. I don't

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Arcvasti posted:

You assumed wrong, but miraculously no one actually picked them anyways. This is a highly virtuous group of players here.

Also huh that's certainly an Utgard pretender. The bless isn't bad per se, but also isn't very strong considering that they have real cool sacreds. Might also not be strong enough to let the big lady expand with, especially in the Age of Cavalry Everywhere. Larger is a really underrated bless in general, but is especially good on Utgard because they lose no attack density going from size 5 to size 6 now that the Vaetti have left. I would personally have paired it with Regen and worse scales though. E4N10 is surprisingly cheap because there are so many affordable E/N chassis', and it's often useful to have a real high nature caster too.

Utgard also just has good normal troops and mages though, so somewhat mediocre sacreds and an expander that likely dies on turn 3 should still allow you to make a good showing if you play your cards right.

In all 5 test games I did she survived just fine expanding as long as I didn't send her against any obviously dumb groups of Indies or knights.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In dom3 the concept of "limited recruitment" didn't exist, so you could recruit as many Hydras as you wanted and could afford. This made them much more feasible as an LA Pythium strat. The JBBM mod removes the limited recruitment at least for MA, not sure about LA, but since we are playing vanilla here you are stuck with the poor 1 per turn.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Utgard Overview and turn 1

Turn 1
I don't really have any pictures of my turn 1 location, that will have to wait until turn 2. All I do on turn 1 is recruit some of my sacred troops.

Speaking of which....

Utgard Overview

Welcome to Utgard, also pretty much Jotunheim with the name filed off and a few, but significant, differences.

Oprah is back, and her time being banished has not made her very happy. She wants revenge on the dirty cavepeople who banished her from the world, and her chosen strategy for this is pretty simple: Make her giants even bigger! If giants are good, giant giants have to be better!

Her paths also open up lots of options normally unavailable, in particular the Earth, since Earth is not a path Utgard has any access to and it has some pretty important things.

Lets take a look at my mages.

These guys return from Jotun, and are pretty much the same as they were. Really good mages, but expensive and slow to recruit. They are also the only way to access blood that Utgard has.

These are my new cap only mage recruit, and they are a doozy. Really good paths and Fortune teller to get rid of any bad events that could come my way. The combination of Death and Astral opens up a skelespam communion, which speaking of....

These ladies here are the biggest change between Jotun and Utgard. These are my non-cap human mages. There are 4 important things about them: They are cheap, they have decent research, you can recruit 1 a turn, and they also have both astral and death. This makes them awesome communion slaves for skelespam or any other death spells you may want to cast.

These 2 commanders are back from Jotun, significant only in the fact that they make decent thugs without having to summon, and they are both sacred so they will get even better.

These are my only priests, and boy are they doozies in being lovely priests. They don't really offer anything at all, and given a choice I probably wouldn't recruit any of either.

Here are my troops that are notable. Unchanged from Jotun. I will rely heavily on my sacred troops to do most of my heavy lifting, supplemented by huskarls and javelins.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Utgard Turn 2

Nothing interesting here in the messages, just the prophet declarations already posted.

Here we can see my neighboring provinces. South we have a pretty small band of militia, to the east a band of heavy infantry, northeast a bit more militia, and north we have a really annoying cave province with a bunch of cave people. That one will have to wait.

Like last turn I am just recruiting my sacred troops. I will start getting some mages once I have increased my income a bit.

And here is my planned movement. My pretender will take care of the squishy militia to the south, who shouldn't pose any problem, while my starting army + turn 1 recruits will take care of the heavy infantry to my east.

There should be nothing that can go wrong with this plan.

Utgard Turn 3

Everything went wrong with that plan.

Messages for the turn. The 2 battles and my first event!

First the event.

Well, -10 income in my capital isn't a great start.

I didn't take a picture of it but my army expansion to the east went off with no casualties.

And then for the other battle.

Well, bugger. The scouting here wasn't so accurate. "About 15 militia" I believe is what it said. My pretender got surrounded by the heavy militia and they got some really good rolls going through her naturally high protection.

This is a bit of a setback. She was supposed to help me speed up my expansion, while providing some much needed earthy-ness later on. Because I have absolutely poo poo for priests it is unlikely I will be able to bring her back any time soon.

On the other hand, as a giant nation I don't really need her to expand. My Giant Giants will be able to handle expansion quite well on their own, and none of my bless is incarnate so it doesn't require her to be around.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I would just like to say that I tested this build in like 3-5 different test games where I just did the first few turns to make sure she would be fine, and that never happened.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TravelLog posted:

Sure, but the bless stacks with natural regeneration. The Great Mother has only the one attack along with, frankly, poor protection and defense, which means if you aren't boosting those that the regen is even more important. Also of major relevance is that he is a Giant nation so it would be very good for his troops as well.

The one attack thing is pretty meaningless against smaller troops, because she has built in trample.

And all the damage to kill her happened in 2 turns, so more Regen would not have helped much.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 20, 2020

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Basically she was trampling the militia happily and not really taking damage, and then the heavy infantry surrounded her and it was like the senators stabbing Julius Caesar and she died very quickly.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Utgard Turn 4

Still not a ton happening at this point in the game.

1 battle, 1 event on my capital, and the Jomon prophet.

The battle was completely uneventful stomp of indies with my giant giants.

The event is a pretty annoying one to get early on. Losing a significant portion of your capitals income for a turn when it is your main source of money is annoying.

One thing that I believe is an LA thing is that you have a bit more information about your surrounding areas than before, in particular names of provinces well outside your sight.

Here we have Pan to my northeast, who could be annoying if we ever became enemies.

And here we have Mictlan, who I don't think I need to say anything else about being next to Mictlan!

I have built up a decent force of my sacreds so I send them out to the south while my first group heads for that rich province to the east.

Turn 5

Really nothing to report this turn. Both expansion parties continue to beat down enemies without any real losses.

Turn 6

Only one battle this turn as I didn't want my northern group getting any closer to Pan, which turned out to be a good choice.

I see Pans expansion army to my northeast. You can also see a general idea of what is on that throne next to me. A crapton of undead, normal indies, and a pretender chassis leading them(the Death version of the pretender Gath has).

I will also explain my early research goals. Unless I am playing a nation that can get some good early battle magic I usually spend the first part of the game researching all the remote site searching spells for the paths I have available. They cost gems to cast, but I don't have to worry about remembering to shuffle mages around and searching each time, and also you can search faster this way since you don't have a 2 turn or more process for each province. Also no worries about potentially missing a site due to not having sufficient levels in the path.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 25, 2020

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
If you are going against a skelespam army the battle reports will generally show way, way more kills than deaths.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Didn't realize how far behind I was. Time for lots of turn posting! Most of them are uneventful though.

Utgard Turn 7

Just another couple stomps of indies, nothing worth mentioning in either battle.

My northern army is basically down to a few javelin guys and nothing else at this point, I so move them back down to get some reinforcements. My southern army moves to take the only province around them that wasn't likely to cause a bunch of deaths.

Turn 8

Just that single battle this turn, which went as expected(0 casualties, lots of dead indies).

My northern party moves back to the capital to get more friends, while another group of sacreds moves to take the heavy cav province to my west I had been avoiding. My southern expanders move to take that lightly defended crossbow province.

Turn 9

I forgot to take a screenshot of the messages screen. But it was the 2 expected battles...and then an unexpected bump against Argatha.

While fighting the indies a bad morale roll causes my army to rout. However, most of my giants have gone berserk so they continue to fight and win, while my commander books it out of there.

So when Argatha gets there my guys have no leadership and auto-rout. This is really annoying.

My coward goes to pick up the giants that fled into the other neighboring province. My large group of sacreds goes up to grab that fish-man province.

Turn 10

Single battle this turn against fish people and the propaganda message Mictlan has already shown.

I do see Gath's army of giants to my southwest, which isn't ideal. He will probably be able to take that throne before I will.

In my newly acquired fish-man province I start recruiting some troops to take the ponds around my territory. They are pretty good sources of income and will hopefully bring some additional water gem income.

In my northwest Patala is also pretty close to that throne, so my goal is to try and get the province north of it before he can, as I can't get through those mountains to take the throne and my scouts have shown me it is pretty lightly defended.

Turn 11

A couple indie battles that went without problems, an event, and the arena battles I forgot to send someone to.

8 water gems isn't horrible.

Bigger this turn is a couple of my new provinces have pre-scouted sites in them.

Yay for 3 free gems I didn't even have to search for, even if 2 of them are of limited use to me, since I have no mages to use air or fire.

Don't have a picture of my movement, but the important thing is that my northern party is moving to try and nab that province north of the throne.

Turn 12

Another level of thaum researched, 2 indie battles...and a battle with Patala. Well, that isn't great. On the plus side I do have a good size force of giants and he just has stupid monkeys.

Battle with the indies goes just fine...

Ok, slight correction, he has stupid monkeys with bows, and a lot of them. My giant giants are turned into giant pincushions. That is 4 turns of cap recruitment gone from that bump.

Well, bugger. That effectively cuts me off from that throne.

First event is just an annoyance that the province will lose dominion unless I patrol out the idiot preaching there. Second is some more nice free water gems.

Turn 13

At this point I'm just kind of regrouping after I lost a ton of giants against patala.

Moving to take that province on the Mictlan border while the rest of my groups shuffle around. I'm starting to build a couple forts, one up on the Mictlan border, another down next to that cave province.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Utgard has the exact same troops as Jotun, just has better researchers.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
They still aren't gone, although I'm not sure we every found out where they popped back up, but later on blood hunting nation's started to get "a group of heroes has raided your dungeon" events that are Bogus and crew liberating your fairly caught virgins and happen when they are on the map.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I will try and catch up my turns in the next couple days, but want to talk about what is going on and how dumb I'm being:

I have been pretty open about my intention to join the dogpiling on Argatha. I will admit that my inexperience in playing with Purple makes me a bit naive about him at this point, but I figured that what I paid him was worthwhile for 18 turns of having a secure northern border while I could kill Argatha. As part of my NAP with Purple, however, I also get the info(which turned out to be 100% a lie) that TC is going to attack me. This was where I was dumb and trusted Purple, however I was also sending scouts to TCs forts near our border and was finding them heavily patrolled, which seemed to collaborate the info from the trecherous snake up north. If I had been smart my play here would have been to talk with TC and try and work out some kind of peace so I could attack Argatha in peace. Instead I start a series of really dumb stuff starting here that continues in a Trainwreck for quite a while.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Ramc posted:

i love your god

I am pretty sure no one in the game feels this way about said God.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So, since I am so behind in posting I'm not even going to bother trying to catch up turn by turn. I'm just going to give a summary of what I'm doing:

Gath showed my first attack attempt, which ended badly. He hasn't gotten to my second attempt, which had pretty much every remaining soldier I had and a bunch of mage support, which ended just as bad just in a different way. I immediately sued for peace because at that point I had absolutely no troops left.

I was kind of at a quandary on what to do at that point. I didn't want to fight patala or Argatha because they were fighting gath. I was pretty sure I couldn't handle TC. And I was very annoyed at Purple over the fact he was trying to get all my neighbors to kill me. I had a NAP with him through turn 43, but I notified Pan that as soon as that ran out the full power of Utgard was going to decend on the furries to the north. I was also starting to ramp up my blood economy and aiming to get to blood 9, which has mass summoning spells of the different demons.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really want Gath to post their next set of turns. My favorite moment in the entire game is in his next set of turns!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So yeah, I accidentally killed Gath's pretender after making peace with him! I felt kind of bad, but it was really hilarious at the same time. I really needed the Gnome I was able to recruit out of that throne province to kickstart my Earth magic with my pretender still dead at this point. I love vengence of the dead, because unlike something like mind hunt there isn't any real danger to your people casting it unless the target is in a Dome, and the kills that happen during Vengence stack up(so if his god got hit with another vengence after coming back there would be 1100 ghosts because the original 700 + 400 killed during that vengence attempt).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So, a couple things about that fight:

1) remember that vanilla commander you assassinated a few turns back? He was leading about 30 giants who had orders to hold in the back to await your fliers. After he got assassinated I moved them elsewhere but didn't give them the hold order back so they just walked forward. Whoops.

2) My pretender actually just took a shitton of damage from every single eagle warrior being in range of her and getting good rolls.

PS: enjoy the toads

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SavageGentleman posted:

Can someone with Game mechanics knowledge point ot to me why Agartha is getting their rear end kicked so hard in battles? Formations? Not enough mages?

I think it is mainly a reliance on outdated troops. They are still spending most of their time and effort on summoning cheap undead trash that the player admitted in their last post weren't getting them anywhere, and they are just sending large numbers of that chaff with minimal mage support vs giant deathballs. Eytheaia has over 30 of just one of their mage types, with a bunch of others also there. Gath also has very heavy mage support along with their already strong giants.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hey, minor spoiler but Herne does more damage to Atlantis than everyone else combined. So I stand by my casting of Wild Hunt.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Today's Important Lesson: 4 turns out is too soon to announce that you're gonna win the game.

It's not like it was a big announcement, I was giving people an ETA to an Atlantis win in discord every turn trying to get a coalition together. Sadly everyone was too busy fighting each other until it was almost too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I was hoping that self-interest and some desire to have some kind of come-behind victory would overpower any desire to be a kingmaker, which proved to not be true.

To further expand on this, and give a summary of where things had stood since my initial invasion of Mictlan:
After I captured the 2 forts south of his capital I had a disastrous attempt to finish him off, as Purple showed. I elected to dig in, rebuild my forces, keep him under a constant Toad Storm, and also reach Blood 9, which would allow me to mass summon demons for a final push to finish him off. This was further buttressed by the fact that the fort just to the south of Mictlan's capital had a site that gave all blood rituals cast there a discount. I was keeping an eye on Atlantis through a network of spies, but I was never confident that I could finish Mictlan off and there was no way I was going to expose my back to him by turning my attention to Atlantis. I had hoped that keeping everyone aware of Atlantis's movements(this army is heading to this throne, this one is going to that throne) would allow them to focus on fighthing him off. Instead TC kept invading Gath, which kept both of their attentions fixated on that war instead of preventing Atlantis from winning.

By the time I had summoned a good army of demons to finish Mictlan off Atlantis was making his final push. I wasn't confident I had the time to finish Mictlan off and then turn to fighting Atlantis. When Purple offered a NAP and alliance to push back Atlantis I didn't really have much of a choice. Without dislodging my main army from the Mictlan border the only forces I had left was my researchers in my capital and a fort on the border with TC with very few chaff.

In retrospect, and seeing the damage that my Toad Storm had done to Purple's troops, the better plan would have been to move my army up to crush Mictlan and then move on to the former Pan throne nearby and hope that TC could hold the one on the 3 way border between me, him, and Atlantis. To make things slightly more complicated, the demons I was summoning was mostly Frost Demons because my main blood casters are Blood/Water mages. These were pretty useless against atlantis because Frost demons do all frost damage and Atlantis was using troops with high frost resistance. Although this was true in reverse too, his troops couldn't' do much to my demons.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 21, 2020