Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Cobra Lionfist posted:

Dryad Hoplites, these are your cap only sacreds. They've got formation fighter so you can pack a lot into one space, and they make normal humans so horny that they have trouble fighting them. They're also strong and well able to defend themselves. These guys seem great.

They're actually kind of "eh", I've found.
With 12 atk 10 str and bronze weapons they really struggle punching through even bog standard humans in medium armour while their own bronze armour is lackluster. The awe is neat against random idiots esp. combined with a backup choir of mages singing "EVERYBODY PANIC NOW" but then there are many things that simply won't care and are quite common in LA - skellingtons, elementals, elephants & other tramplers, eleventy billion crossbows...

Bottomline, if they'd been EA or MA units they could have been rock star anvils to combine with mino/centaur hammers. In the LA they don't really cut it however, or at least they don't cut it hard enough to consider any kind of serious bless for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ramc posted:

seems like a lot of crossbows.

Right ? Granted I suck at dom, but those wouldn't be my first choice for a monkeywar. They're butt naked and their longbowapes can take a bolt or two while agarthan crossbowmen are likely to die from one arrow, so it's a losing 1vs1. I'd have bet on moar cave drakes or heavy armor & shields instead.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I admire Purp because their entire gimmick is being a joyful backstabber but every time someone is like "Hmm, but surely this time they won't backstab or betray me"

I once knew a guy like that IRL. Played a lot of boardgames with him, both with strangers and people who knew him or his reputation exceedingly well and why he was nicknamed "the Bastard". He still won games more often than not, typically amidst cries of "wait, you're betraying me ?! But you said we were going to betray him !".
gently caress, I cried that myself often enough. But surely *this time*, since I know he knows I know he knows I know he can't be trusted, and that I won't ever trust him again, I can trust him implicity.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Technowolf posted:

This both resets the mage's age to 'young' for the chassis and removes the upkeep. It's really good on old/expensive nature mages.

There's also the small chance that you get a really good thug/SC chassis out of it.

There's also (or at least there used to be ? Is it still the same in Dom5 ?) a non-insignificant chance to turn your expensive mage into an ant. Or a mindless abomination of melted flesh and random animal parts. Details !

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
It's pretty amazing to me how good Ice Guards seem to be, as chaff goes. I mean I'm sure the deathball snowball effect plays a part there, and Assartut seem to be more killy (but a LOT more deathy too).
Still, impressive results & numbers, for recruit anywhere assholes.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

Ice Guards are ludicrously good basic infantry, and are a significant reason why Atlantis is one of the most powerful nations in LA (not certain of the exact spot, but almost definitely in the top 3). And while some powerful LA nations have taken significant nerfs (LA Ulm's Vampire Count engine comes to mind), Atlantis really hasn't. That they have rather good, rather beefy mages helps a lot too. Oh, right, they've got a fairly good and inexpensive assassination spell that's unique to them AND easily researchable, in a modded game where the typical universal assassination spells have either been basically nerfed into uselessness or are incredibly high on the research tree.

Well, all of this is true... But they also only have 2 magic paths (I'm not even rating their F/A/E access, that's fake ; S is mere W communion fodder). And if one of the two (D) is one of the Three Big Lategame, they don't really have a hyuuuuge access to it anyway ; and the other becomes kind of dickless as soon as the enemy gets some form of cold mitigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tulip posted:

Wow I am really glad I'm not a virgin living anywhere near that.

I mean, it's probably gonna suck for everyone else, too.
"Would you rather get eaten by everhungry demonic ogres, have your still-beating heart ripped out on top of a swanky-rear end ziggurat, or just get flayed alive by bat people from, and I quote, "the place of fear" ? Scale of 1 to 10 ?"