Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

I wonder if all the coffee stuff was riffing on Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Or maybe it's just what old comics do to fill their days.

Hanging out and getting coffee is a pretty universal experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought this episode was kind of up and down. The MAGA hat bit is brilliant.

Also a big part of my love of this show is growing up with a very Larry-esque father (which has rubbed off on me to an extent). “You don’t have to call when you land. If the plane crashes I’ll hear about it.” is a verbatim quote from him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

Not as an entire day's occupation!

Nobody's spending an entire day there. People are stopping in while walking around LA.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kind of a bleh episode but Larry exaggeratedly obtaining consent is funny.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t really read the #MeToo plot as “women be crazy about assault!” It’s very much about how someone with as little sense of boundaries or norms as Larry would bumble into a situation like this and how he’s handling it so far is very in character.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mcbexx posted:

If you need more Curb, check out the movie "Clear History" from 2013.
Should be on Prime.

It’s an HBO movie so if you can watch Curb you can presumably watch it on HBO Go.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

People who think Curb is about Larry being right and the world being wrong are uh, insanely bad at watching tv, to say the least.

It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Best episode of the season so far. And definitely one where Larry was right more often than not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 10: Poop-poop-de-boop

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This has been a very poop focused couple of episodes and we haven’t even seen the consequences of Larry’s bathroom policy yet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He's actually in the right on the car because presumably he didn't transfer ownership of it officially.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

loosenukes posted:

You jerks got my hopes up for the urinal guillotine.

Really expected it to injure someone’s big Johnson

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coronavirus posted:

I appreciate how they wrote a transperson as just a regular character, with the same respect and jokes as anyone else on the show. He didn't write it so they had to avoid any mention of difference, but I felt they did it in an understanding and considerate way. I wonder if the trans actor or maybe writers on the show had input.

Or it could just be Larry has been cool with counter culture and LA for a very long time and has trans friends, and just hates everyone equally when they make some minor infraction against them.

I'm not explaining this well. But I like how they were featured as just part of the cast, not some kind of " A very special episode of..." where the main character is supposed to be seen as a monster or saint for accepting / judging a non gender normative person. Instead of the insincere / pretend hollywood poo poo that often is presented.

Chaz Bono is one of the most famous trans men in the world and was out long before it even began to approach the current levels of social acceptability so I'm sure he had some input or thoughts.

Larry is consistently an "equal opportunity offender" type except instead of doing it for shock value he's just finding humor in his own curiosity and insensitivity.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coronavirus posted:

I had no idea that was Chaz Bono. Thought it was some random up-and-comer in LA. Cool.

Would you believe he's 51? I mean I guess he'd have to be because of his parents and it makes sense given Funkhauser's age but he looks 30.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

how many drat funkhousers are there

larry already killed half and they got more offspring than Genghis khan

I think Marty's trans kid was actually a subplot in a previous season, though I don't remember if they were ever actually shown.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New season start date is October 24 and it officially takes place in a post-pandemic world.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I feel like Albert Brooks is the kind of person who should exist as himself in this universe but that would make it extra weird being Bob Einstein’s brother. Then again the Funkhousers already have one family member who’s way too famous in real life (Vince Vaughn).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Trailer out:
https://youtu.be/zRCMPMGDN00

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Another overstuffed but generally amusing episode which has kind of dominated recent seasons. Leon was definitely MVP tonight.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Despera posted:

not to complain about plot holes in curb, but you got sienfeld money larry, taquirito owner cant touch you

Larry facing jail time is laughable but you know he’d rather tank his new show than spend more money on a lawyer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pretty underwhelming episode. Still has a baseline level of funny that all Curbs have but a little too predictable without many memorable ideas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SirPablo posted:

The Jeff abortion plotline was cringe. Felt out of place for Curb and not within Jeff's character.

Cheating on Susie with younger women has been a standard Jeff feature like once per season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Well yea. But not "I got her knocked up and paid to have it aborted but I think I'm being extorted".

Sounds like a Jeff plot to me!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Is the fence thing a real thing or a conceit for the show?

That's absolutely a wealthy neighborhood ordinance in tons of places. But again, an extremely rich and famous guy's lack of fence leading to the death of a Latino burglar would not cause a stir.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

How is it supposed to be pronounced? Three without the r?

The

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Helping a Klansman because he feels bad about spilling coffee on his robe is a stretch even for Larry. That one definitely feels the most like an amusing observation he had ("do Klansmen get their robes dry cleaned?") turned into a plot point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think that was the worst episode in a while, though I did like the argument with Seth Rogen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Humor is very personal!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The thing that's bugging me more about this season (and later seasons in general) than older ones is that Larry is very obviously in the wrong much more often than in the past.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

this is something that people claim every season that i don't think is true. sure there are plenty of times were we can sympathize with larry, but there are also numerous situations were he is just plain a prick. take for example Denise Handicapped, one of my favorite episodes, I don't think there's even a second of that one were Larry is in the right.

I tend to believe Larry is fully right about half the time, "he's right but he shouldn't say it" about 25% and totally wrong about 25%, but now it feels reversed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gotta vote down ballot Larry! That’s where all the poo poo like your fence problem originates!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why are you four seasons into a show you hate?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

I know this is fake post, because the show is literally people constantly telling Larry to shut the gently caress up. Do yourself a favor and actually watch it.

If only there was a character, perhaps a woman, who would literally say the phrase "shut the gently caress up Larry" or some variation of it in almost every episode.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Car Pool Lane was definitely my favorite when I first saw it, though it’s since been surpassed by The Ski Lift, The Palestinian Chicken and The Survivor.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nice little article on Susie’s wardrobe. I’m glad to know Susie Essman doesn’t actually think that poo poo looks good. She looked like the loving Undertaker at that vow renewal party.

https://www.gawker.com/culture/susie-essman-unpacks-her-eye-popping-curb-wardrobe

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

What an episode, there are so many amazing moments I can't even single one out or believe they're all in one episode.

Larry on surveillance is a gag I'm surprised they haven't used before, that was incredible. I was impressed Larry restrained himself enough not to hassle the kitchen staff.

It's sorta been used when he was playing with Susie's bra.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Garlin being so irritating that the cast celebrated him getting fired sounds like a Curb plot

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought this was easily the worst season but even "bad" Curb is like a B-minus. Ullman was great obviously.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Leon is the best part of later Curb but the seasons just before him are the best overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m in shock that he showed up season 5. I keep think he showed up later. I guess the large spacing between seasons is screwing with my memory.

Season 6. When they take in the Black family (which doesn’t actually include Leon; he’s just a relative who lives in LA as I recall).