Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 16 - Taking Gundoll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 17 - Avunculicide

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I'm sad that Gyan's last level was so bad. Is it possible to promote him?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Kacie posted:

I'm sad that Gyan's last level was so bad. Is it possible to promote him?

It should be. I intend to do it next time I record.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 18 - Stalled

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 19 - Funnel

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Is this game operating on the post-SF1 standard of set boosts on level-ups? Going through SF1 on the Sega Gen/MD Collection and getting hard mode RNG for everybody but the characters I plan to dump first chance. If it was just a matter of rewinding to reset the seed I'd bother.

Can tell they could afford spending on higher quality backgrounds here. Maybe one day we'll see a high res hand-drawn new take or remake..

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Is this game operating on the post-SF1 standard of set boosts on level-ups? Going through SF1 on the Sega Gen/MD Collection and getting hard mode RNG for everybody but the characters I plan to dump first chance. If it was just a matter of rewinding to reset the seed I'd bother.

Can tell they could afford spending on higher quality backgrounds here. Maybe one day we'll see a high res hand-drawn new take or remake..

I'm honestly not sure if they're random. If I get a chance I'll try testing to see what happens.

Shining Force is definitely a franchise that's at the top of my list for a Sonic Mania treatment.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 20 - Dire Duo

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 21 - Woldol Surprise

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
I tested whether level ups were random, and they appear to be. I leveled someone up, hit reset and leveled them again, and they got different stats. If you want to go down the rabbit hole, I guess it's theoretically possible that repeating the same moves every playthrough might lead to the same results, but that's a pretty niche scenario. I'm assuming the randomness will hold true for all books on the disc.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 21 Pt 2 - Woldol Denied

This marks the end of Book 1. Thanks to everyone who's stopped by the thread so far. Next week we'll start Book 2!

rojovision fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 9, 2020

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
Nice.. I remember liking the second book better, looking forward to it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 1 - Iom's Evil Intentions

Today our adventure continues with the start of Book 2! This one was released on the Game Gear in the US as Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 2 - Hot On the Trail

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Seems like there's some serious poo poo going on with SA. If the forums explode, I'm updating the playthrough over at the LP Zone and Shining Force Central forums as well. These are also linked in the main post.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 27, 2020

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 3 - To the Cliffs

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Man, two sentences between battles. They've got to carefully ration the plot, I guess.

I do think Deanna is a pretty cool design. Most characters hold their shields so close to their bodies I barely realize they have them.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

LeastActionHero posted:

Man, two sentences between battles. They've got to carefully ration the plot, I guess.

I do think Deanna is a pretty cool design. Most characters hold their shields so close to their bodies I barely realize they have them.

Yeah, Deanna's fighting stance looks a lot better than most other characters in my opinion.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 4 - Clifftop Rendezvous

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 7, 2020

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 5 - Ticket for the Future

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 6 - Imperiling Impostors

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 7 - Trouble Without, Trouble Within

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 8 - Tunnels and Traps

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 9 - Shameful Sneaking

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 10 - Hello, Goodbye

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
This sort of thing makes you wonder why the Shining Force even bothers getting on ships instead of just skipping to whatever alternative route happens to exist.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

CptWedgie posted:

This sort of thing makes you wonder why the Shining Force even bothers getting on ships instead of just skipping to whatever alternative route happens to exist.

I guess none of the force members are ever big readers like the girl at the game's load save screen.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 11 - Promotions at Sea

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 12 - Watch Your Step

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 13 - Centaurs Can Climb Vines

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 14 - Death From Above

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 15 - Danger in the Dark

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 16 - An Unstable Situation

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 17 - Together Again

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 18 - Questionable Ninja Skills

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 19 - The Hills Are Alive

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Battle 20 - Laser Canyon

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey Rojo! Thanks for all this content, I been watching some of your other LPs on your channel, I like the vampire one and Imrik. Though, you ought to lose more elfs in combat, as the only good elf is a dead elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

ratchild13 posted:

Hey Rojo! Thanks for all this content, I been watching some of your other LPs on your channel, I like the vampire one and Imrik. Though, you ought to lose more elfs in combat, as the only good elf is a dead elf.

Glad you're enjoying the videos. I don't want to derail the thread too much with talk about other games than SFCD, but I imagine there will be plenty more dead elves when the TWW2 Wood Elf DLC comes out. Blood for the Blood God and all that.

To bring the conversation back to Shining Force, Chester is basically unkillable at this point...but who knows, maybe we'll find another tier of enemy archer to take out before the end of Book 2.