Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

a world without decimals?

what would be the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i say we abolish irrational numbers :11tea:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'd replace it with poems

what exactly are decimals for? Why do we insist on expressing integers in certain patterns?

Anyone else noticing this?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive now learned about "real numbers" but am more confused than before and now my brain hurts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkP_OGDCLY0

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

numberoneposter posted:

Oh yeah!? if irrational numbers exist simply because we can't express them in a ratio of integers just means integers are hosed up. I say we keep only irrational numbers, and get rid of all integers.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

gently caress you OP, you cant make me imagine poo poo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i dont understand the complex number plane and dont want to know. every time its like "dude where you stopped calling it the y-axis... why did you bother doing that?"

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
in europe they use commas

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RepeatingMeme posted:

gently caress you OP, you cant make me imagine poo poo

OP is insolent

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

We’d just have to use one of the enormous quantity of non-place valued number systems, the number of which you could easily count without the unnecessary complexity of place values

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Roman Numerals MMXX, bitch, gently caress you

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

LIC MI DIC

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Imagine a world in which we can only think about quantity through a single and arbitrary representation where a good portion of the people who attempt to learn it don’t due to the amount of upfront work needed to even begin to use it for numbers above nine oh wait

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Alucard posted:

If we didn't have decimals no numbers would be real.

Hahahahaha

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

numberoneposter posted:

so would this be like uhhhh a 1 base system???

im a math idiot

is it even possible to ONLY have whole numbers? like IRL you can always just use different values to describe whatever but it seems like math just falls apart

We only need fractions or decimals when dealing with things that don’t come in discrete units. For example, 2.5 humans is nonsensical because half of a human is not a real state of affairs IRL, unless you’re a statistician. Our choice of what “one” is there isn’t arbitrary.

However, when dealing with things like length, time, or volume, our choice of what “one” is IS arbitrary: we can keep chopping up any length finer and finer and we will never get to a single countable thing. So we just call a certain, arbitrary amount of length “one”and we use that to count with. But of course other lengths that don’t come in multiples of that unit length exist, which motivates the use of fractions.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PTSDeedly Do posted:

We only need fractions or decimals when dealing with things that don’t come in discrete units. For example, 2.5 humans is nonsensical because half of a human is not a real state of affairs IRL, unless you’re a statistician. Our choice of what “one” is there isn’t arbitrary.

However, when dealing with things like length, time, or volume, our choice of what “one” is IS arbitrary: we can keep chopping up any length finer and finer and we will never get to a single countable thing. So we just call a certain, arbitrary amount of length “one”and we use that to count with. But of course other lengths that don’t come in multiples of that unit length exist, which motivates the use of fractions.

I probate you for 10.1 hours

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

motivates the use of fractions

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

numberoneposter posted:

That seems a hit harsh, how about just deinstitutionalization

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

pi is 3 and a bit

pi is 22/7

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Burt Sexual posted:

ill stop lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PTSDeedly Do posted:

ill stop lol

It’s a thing we do here. Joke. Badly sometimes but that’s, ok. Post on

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i need that extra half inch

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

can someone explain what the picture has to do with decimals. read the shirts as CO CK at first, too.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.google.com/search?q=3+%2B+1+%2F+(7+%2B+1+%2F+(15+%2B+1+%2F+(1+%2B+(1+%2F+292))))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj8Sg8qnjOg&t=435s
this vid is pretty good especially at the point i started it at. he explains a thing pretty well

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
theres a bunch of math videos in your youtube recommendations now
have fun with that poindexter you nerd!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

now spiderman and elsa are farting on polynomials. what the gently caress youtube

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

spiderman and elsa are farting on polynomials
https://i.imgur.com/JnMZvds.mp4

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Never used them for D&D, never used them for work and never made above £10 an hour because I don’t understand maths.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Decimals are great and if you are european and use US notation when building your data set but force Euros as the currency symbol I sent you an email yesterday about this issue please respond.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

What a loving stupid question.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The sooner the world switches to binary/metric for all number systems the sooner this basilisk will stop haunting us

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
At the very least we need to define a Meter as "1/300,000,000th the distance light travels in a second"

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

What a loving stupid question.

This is a very rude response

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The moment some jerk invented 0 math really went in the shitter :colbert:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

gary oldmans diary posted:

uh if i do something like .333333 repeating over 5 then im still using the decimal system even if im also using fractions. learn a book morans

That's just one over fifteen

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Centimals, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

serious norman posted:

Centimals, OP.

I dont believe in fantasy creatures