Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The old thread for helping us find the names to our forgotten childhood memories has long since been archived, so I'm resurrecting it.

Pretty simple premise: You come in here, asking if anybody knows the name of an anime or manga based on fuzzy descriptions of it that you can recall, and fellow goons try to guess it by playing internet detective.

Let's start with this one from the anime recommendations thread:

SalTheBard posted:

They're was an anime I watched. It was a submarine based show. There was a town on an island with a steep hill that I think they used to roll a cannonball or something like that down it to defend themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

I am also stuck on a submarine based anime.

It would have been an OVA from sometime before 2000. It was randomly shown on Channel 7 in Western Australia in the middle of the day but not mentioned on the programme.

I remember very little save for a few details:
- One submarine captain left his wife and child and went down with the ship. I think he was the antagonist but was portrayed as someone doing his duty. His tombstone appears in the show
- The animation was ye olde hand drawn style and quite rough though that could have been the quality of the tapes. Some anime fan at the studio must have grabbed the wheel and thrown on something from their own collection since there is zero chance Channel 7 would have played this intentionally.

I suspect it is Submarine 707R but I can’t confirm it.

Uncle Khasim fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 16, 2020

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Blue Submarine No. 6 and Submarine 707R are the only submarine ovas I can think of and both are pre 2000 I think, hell if I remember the plots though. Blue Sub had 3d fights and fish people though so if you don't remember that then its probably not that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There was a manga about some kind of otaku club and the female protagonist's older sister was either a member or an alumnus. Theres some point where the older sister says something like, "all of the friends you think you have here are really just here for me". That might have been a flashback. I read what had been translated back then, like 10 years ago, and never kept up with it, but recently it entered my head again and all of my searches have been fruitless.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

There was a manga about some kind of otaku club and the female protagonist's older sister was either a member or an alumnus. Theres some point where the older sister says something like, "all of the friends you think you have here are really just here for me". That might have been a flashback. I read what had been translated back then, like 10 years ago, and never kept up with it, but recently it entered my head again and all of my searches have been fruitless.

Genshiken maybe?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's not genshiken

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds oddly similar to Oreimo/My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Cute's second season.

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure these are from over 25 years ago, but:

1) Some time in the future, there's an abandoned present-day city located inside the cone of a dormant volcano. An elite recon team has to traverse the city on foot, but there are at least two kaiju wandering around. One of the kaiju is alerted to the recon team because, as the team crosses a skyway at eye level for the kaiju, the woman recon team member's ponytail is sticking over the parapet.
2) In a classic Romeo and Juliet situation, a pair of young lovers are also rulers of opposing factions in a planetary war. This is in the future, where soldiers ride flying chariots.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groly posted:

2) In a classic Romeo and Juliet situation, a pair of young lovers are also rulers of opposing factions in a planetary war. This is in the future, where soldiers ride flying chariots.

This is probably wrong since I barely remember what happened now but this wouldn't happen to be crest of the stars? I'm pretty sure that the male and female lead were a couple on opposite sites of a war and that there was a lot of space nobility poo poo going on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Crest of the Stars certainly does not involve flying chariots. It's got more of a submarine vibe, where everything is cramped and indoors at all times.

Also the main characters weren't on different sides.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyone know what anime this is?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't that one of the later Senran Kagura games? I don't think there's been an anime with their school.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://sengokucollection.fandom.com/wiki/Souji_Okita

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm looking for a manga where this girl causes misfortune to everyone around her, the Yakuza use her to win at gambling, she gets saved by this guy who is practically impervious to death through sheer muscle and grit, they eventually go to the same high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fat and Useless posted:

Blue Submarine No. 6 and Submarine 707R are the only submarine ovas I can think of and both are pre 2000 I think, hell if I remember the plots though. Blue Sub had 3d fights and fish people though so if you don't remember that then its probably not that.

Silent Service is also worth looking at.