Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

"look at me i dont eat animal products" (said in moron voice) :yeshaha:

i wonder if you personally have done more damage to gary oldman's reputation than the things gary oldman has actually said and done

i hope to ruin Doug in the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

If this thread turns out semi-reasonable discussion then my thesis is half proved

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Do the bees that pollinate so many of the plants we eat not count as animal labor?

Vegetarianism is fine. Eating a vegan (or mostly vegan) diet for dietary reasons or whatever is fine. But capital V Veganism is dumb, sorry.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The only animals that can be exploited for my food consumption needs are humans tyvm :colbert:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Doc Block posted:

Do the bees that pollinate so many of the plants we eat not count as animal labor?

Vegetarianism is fine. Eating a vegan (or mostly vegan) diet for dietary reasons or whatever is fine. But capital V Veganism is dumb, sorry.

honey is theft. you are stealing from an entire society so that your tea tastes better.

i like to sip mine next to the hive and pretend im the british raj

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Imagine if the general public thought that believing X had a major role in helping to save the planet from global warming. Would making fun of X be widely done?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Truck Stop Stall posted:

Imagine if the general public thought that believing X had a major role in helping to save the planet from global warming. Would making fun of X be widely done?

I mean yeah context matters, what if X is like banging your mom or something

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Vegan gabagool? Fuhgeddaboudit

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
It’s important that we all do our part, but LOL if you think personal austerity is gonna save us, or even make a dent, when something like 60% of pollution is caused by just 100 companies, and the US military is the single largest polluter.

Sorta like how in California they were telling people to conserve water while doing nothing about the single company (the owner of Blue Diamond Almonds IIRC) that uses more water than every household in the state combined.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Making fun of vegans hasn't been funny for several years OP, to the point that unfunny people making unfunny jokes about vegans are several orders of magnitude more common and annoying than any vegan I've ever met in my life.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
OP, maybe don’t look to TERF Island for leadership or as an example.

Didn’t they pull a gov’t ad campaign starring a puppy because somebody was worried it’d offend people who don’t like dogs? Even though no one had actually complained?

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

I think that flight-shaming is just the beginning. A wide range of climate-change behaviors e.g. eating meat may be as uncool as smoking cigarettes within single-digit years. You probably saw that stupid post about watching Netflix being more polluting than driving an F-150 or whatever. Dumb as it was, it went viral. People are curious.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

industrialized slaughterhouse and animal rendering is truely some of the most miserable work on this earth

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Truck Stop Stall posted:

I think that flight-shaming is just the beginning. A wide range of climate-change behaviors e.g. eating meat may be as uncool as smoking cigarettes within single-digit years. You probably saw that stupid post about watching Netflix being more polluting than driving an F-150 or whatever. Dumb as it was, it went viral. People are curious.

Climate change is 100% about using fossil fuels to generate power. That's 100% it.

This is your D&D break in GBS.

p.s. D&D sucks

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

UltraRed posted:

Climate change is 100% about using fossil fuels to generate power. That's 100% it.

This is your D&D break in GBS.

p.s. D&D sucks

I really like your avatar.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Truck Stop Stall posted:

That tweet was from a company backed by one of the Koch brothers’ associates, with the goal of conditioning the public to instinctively disregard information about how to help prevent climate change etc.

It went viral because of how stupid it was, because Truck Nutz types were spreading it around like “look at these fuckin libs am I right?”, and because too many modern news orgs will uncritically regurgitate any old bullshit they think will get clicks. They love running clickbait stuff they know will get hate-clicks.

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Doc Block posted:

That tweet was from a company backed by one of the Koch brothers’ associates, with the goal of conditioning the public to instinctively disregard information about how to help prevent climate change etc.

It went viral because of how stupid it was, because Truck Nutz types were spreading it around like “look at these fuckin libs am I right?”, and because too many modern news orgs will uncritically regurgitate any old bullshit they think will get clicks. They love running clickbait stuff they know will get hate-clicks.

Hmm I didn't know that. Interesting!

e. Lots of non-affiliated people saw it though, right? Views to reacts (even upvotes/likes) can be in the range of 20-1.

Truck Stop Stall fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 16, 2020

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its actually cancelled early bc of this thread, gas thread and ban OP

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Animals are beautiful, but they aren't smart like me. Sure they rip eachother's jugulars out and sometimes literally drink the blood, but I mean jeez baby cows are so cute.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Vegans!? In my 2020!?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
lol at consuming animal products in 2020

like what the hell

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I don't get why my vegan friends put "vegan" in front of everything they do when they talk about poo poo on social media.

#VeganCycling
#VeganKeepFit
#VeganHavingAWank

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

baw
Nov 5, 2008

fortunately mcdonalds is rolling out vegan options, and the rebel whopper is available in every burger king in europe, which owns because it's the first time i've eaten fast food in like ten years

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While full veganism seems not likely to happen soon increasing food prices combined with general consumer trends means vegetarianism and faux meats will likely continue to gain ground. I mean Hooters of all places is gambling on people wanting to eat plant based faux-chicken wings.

Hooters.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i really welcome this trend of vegan junk food at restaurants because it's pretty loving annoying to go out to eat and the vegan options are quinoa bowls or whatever bullshit

when i go to a restaurant i want to eat something good, not some healthy bullshit

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
You're assuming an awful lot, thinking we'll still have food within the year and not be struggling to digest irradiated sand in a blasted hellscape.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

*menu full of bacon burgers and steaks*

"sure we have vegan options, for example our grilled vegetable platter or buddha bowl with couscous and tofu"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Private Cumshoe posted:

The UK is just looking for excuses for when no one in the country can afford meat any more after Brexit

Pretty sure the bleached factory farm chicken nuggets will still be cheaper than the “chikkin” nuggets, sadly.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Truck Stop Stall posted:

Considering that the English courts now consider veganism a protected belief on par with conscientious objection and Catholicism

ahh yes, no one makes fun of catholics now

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Truck Stop Stall posted:

I really like your avatar.

Thanks! I got it from a “buy an avatar to help Rich’s spine” thread.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Barudak posted:

While full veganism seems not likely to happen soon increasing food prices combined with general consumer trends means vegetarianism and faux meats will likely continue to gain ground. I mean Hooters of all places is gambling on people wanting to eat plant based faux-chicken wings.

Hooters.
theres something about that restaurant they wont quite let me put my finger on :thunk:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Gulping Again posted:

You're assuming an awful lot, thinking we'll still have food within the year and not be struggling to digest irradiated sand in a blasted hellscape.

We'll be eating cockroaches and people in no time. So it's important to know who the vegans are if vegans taste better

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Relayer posted:

Animals are beautiful, but they aren't smart like me. Sure they rip eachother's jugulars out and sometimes literally drink the blood, but I mean jeez baby cows are so cute.

You never ripped someone's jugular out and drank the blood? What a pleb

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I've never met a vegan to my knowledge but I've met lots of people who absolutely refuse to shut the gently caress up about how annoying they are.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Veganism is insanely unhealthy, don't sacrifice your body because you like cute animals. You might be the person who perfects growable meat and makes it financially viable but we won't know if you're dead from being a vegan

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Relayer posted:

Veganism is insanely unhealthy, don't sacrifice your body because you like cute animals. You might be the person who perfects growable meat and makes it financially viable but we won't know if you're dead from being a vegan

how is it unhealthy

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

baw posted:

how is it unhealthy

because your body evolved to eat meat. literally every vegan I know is in this constant state of crisis trying to maintain electrolytes and protein and fats and carbohydrates. just eat a god drat sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Relayer posted:

because your body evolved to eat meat. literally every vegan I know is in this constant state of crisis trying to maintain electrolytes and protein and fats and carbohydrates. just eat a god drat sandwich

sandwiches can be vegan

anyway i was hoping for something a bit more scientific, it isn't like electrolytes, proteins, fats and carbohydrates are tough to find in a plant-based diet. hell clarence kennedy eats 150grams of plant protein every day without using supplements