Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
more accurate would be vegans have to pay attention to iron, omega 3 and b12 but meeting those needs doesnt require a state of crisis

hell most people should probably take a b12 supplement anyway since our ancient ancestors got their b12 directly from the dirt by drinking from streams/eating root vegetables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

baw posted:

sandwiches can be vegan

anyway i was hoping for something a bit more scientific, it isn't like electrolytes, proteins, fats and carbohydrates are tough to find in a plant-based diet. hell clarence kennedy eats 180grams of protein every day without using supplements

I don't begrudge anyone their personal choices and I do very much enjoy many dishes that involve no animal products, but vegans are oddly overwhelmingly represented among the unhealthiest people in western developed countries, because your anatomy is craving meat. I completely respect the discipline it must take to not eat it, but don't pretend you aren't meant to

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Relayer posted:

I don't begrudge anyone their personal choices and I do very much enjoy many dishes that involve no animal products, but vegans are oddly overwhelmingly represented among the unhealthiest people in western developed countries, because your anatomy is craving meat. I completely respect the discipline it must take to not eat it, but don't pretend you aren't meant to

ok can you link some studies about this

edit:

maybe you saw this?

baw fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 16, 2020

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

baw posted:

ok can you link some studies about this

Yeah, I can, will that change your mind? I doubt it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The unhealthy vegans I know are either broke brained outside of regular veganism (all members of the nightshade family are poisons!) or seemingly unaware that if you eat nothing but french fries and sugar soaked coffee despite that being vegan its not actually good for you.

The rest just control their diets carefully and take supplements as necessary

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Relayer posted:

Yeah, I can, will that change your mind? I doubt it

so you don't have any, then

Barudak posted:

The unhealthy vegans are either broke brained outside of regular veganism (all members of the nightshade family are poisons!) or seemingly unaware that if you eat nothing but french fries and sugar soaked coffee despite that being vegan its not actually good for you.

yeah you could live off of oreos and french fries and be vegan

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

naem posted:

I could go vegetarian no problem, vegan is a bit much personally
Yeah, No Milk, No meat - fine. But I couldn't live without eggs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whats vastly more common in my life than preachy vegans are people who will not shut up about how theyre vegetarian but when pushed or feel comfortable reveal they eat seafood all the time. One of them literally talked about how good shark fin soup was!

Do they even make faux fish?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Barudak posted:

One of them literally talked about how good shark fin soup was!

Do they even make faux fish?

They do make faux shark fin soup, because

quote:

The shark fins provide texture, while the taste comes from the other soup ingredients

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Relayer posted:

eating no meat is incredibly easy & replacing it and its benefits are trivial as poo poo lol.

pass this message on to your imaginary vegan friends.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/woman-who-died-climbing-everest-wanted-to-prove-vegans-are-not-weak-a7043431.html
This is about the vegan lady who climbed Mt Everest to prove vegans are as strong as meat eaters and died

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You know you're going to score when a vegan tells you they still eat sausage with a wink. So there's that.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

tbqh making fun of me for any reason, veganism included, should be prohibited by law

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Drunken Baker posted:

You know you're going to score when a vegan tells you they still eat sausage with a wink. So there's that.

Having your dick eaten like a sausage would be really unpleasant, Drunken Baker

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 16, 2020

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i thought it was cancelled a while ago cause everyone cracked the same stale jokes about vegans for like a decade.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Veganism can't be a religion because nobody's been doing it long enough to actually believe someone didn't just make it up a few years ago. Call me when we have vegan families generations deep whose kids are terrified to eat meat because they believe it will instantly curse them with colon cancer

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Me, a vegan, happy now because no one is allowed to be mean to me anymore when I try to shoehorn my dietary choices into every conversation. My feelings are safe.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Disco Pope posted:

Speak for yourself

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Private Cumshoe posted:

We really should go down the line and recognize all the picky eating faiths out there, particularly those for whom their aversions are immutable, such as the unfortunate soapy cilantro complainer.

Realizing I was a soap-tasting cilantro person and could stop wondering why everyone liked this dumb garbage herb? :discourse:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Veganism is a lot like refusing to go to an art museum because the art contains your least favorite colors

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
given that we still make fun of religion constantly i'm not concerned about the vegan police coming to take me away

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Will you still sing the same tune when someone you love turns vegan?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Disco Pope posted:

When you're as drunk as I usually am it's the only time you'll feel anything.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are vegans really that delicate & sensitive that they can't handle getting made fun of?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Will you still sing the same tune when someone you love turns vegan?

no i will sing 'eat it' by weird al

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Veganism is just a big ol' lol

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I think veganism is pretty cool and good and I aim to make the full switch when and if I can organise my meal planning better.

I really wish vegan culture was less off putting though, because every vegan cafe is ugly as gently caress in a crunchy-dreadlocks way and they tolerate poo poo like people playing bongos at 2pm when I just want some hangover fighting coffee, porridge, chocolate chips and banana. The whole aesthetic is like gap-year Cosplay and it’s gross.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I go vegan.

Also after I go vegan because of the malnutrition!

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Nastyman posted:

I've never met a vegan to my knowledge but I've met lots of people who absolutely refuse to shut the gently caress up about how annoying they are.

Count yourself lucky...

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Most vegans I know are healthy and attractive but the vegetarians are all dumb as hell and slowly killing themselves. Like yeah I’m not gonna eat chicken or salmon but let me just crush this block of cheese with ice cream for dessert type of diet.

Vegetarianism is actually really dumb for any reason other than genuinely not liking meat. Either be vegan or don’t.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Are vegans really that delicate & sensitive that they can't handle getting made fun of?

yes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Vegans are old news, freegans are what's cool and new. Dumpster dive for those tomatoes, friend.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

the whole point is to have power over other people and make them accomodate you. anything less than total submission to their desired power dynamic is taken as an insult

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It sounds a lot like status quo people bitching about anything that takes them out of their comfort zone

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
drat, work cut my hours again. Budget is getting really tight!

*Picks up phone*

"Yes, I would like to cancel my 'making fun of vegans' subscription."

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Then I guess You can call me a rebel, OP :cool:

E. I’ll also accept “outlaw”

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Starks posted:

Vegetarianism is actually really dumb for any reason other than genuinely not liking meat. Either be vegan or don’t.

This goon gets it

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Starks posted:

Most vegans I know are healthy and attractive but the vegetarians are all dumb as hell and slowly killing themselves. Like yeah I’m not gonna eat chicken or salmon but let me just crush this block of cheese with ice cream for dessert type of diet.

Ah yeah, let's go for an unhealthy diet instead with Veganism. Dummy Vegetarians, not killing themselves!

Smaaaht Vegan: "I'm eating potato chips all day long, so healthy!"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do you people find the energy to get worked up about what other people eat? I can't imagine how perfect my life would need to be that I'd start caring that other people like eating something I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Starks posted:

At what point did veganism overtake vegetarianism in the cultural landscape? I distinctly remember vegetarians being the butts of jokes throughout the '90s (the classic Simpsons episode, for example), but at some point the practice really fell by the wayside and got completely usurped by veganism. Vegetarianism seems quaint at this point, although pescatarianism oddly seems to be making a comeback.