Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

my 2021 resolution is to actually use the FF window that's been aspiringly open for the past 2 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

are embedded videos completely busted for anyone else?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

idk i usually have to go fullscreen to bust

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

are embedded videos completely busted for anyone else?

I haven't had sound from non-YouTube sources in months.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
firefox doesn't have a built in page translator? wtf this sucks lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i use the edge page translator to see what the koreans are saying on sc2 streams

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
using chome at work and holy lol there’s no reader view

I mean of course there’s not because google and ads and why do people use this poo poo again?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The gently caress is a page translator
The gently caress is a reader view
poo poo the gently caress up nerds your not even making sense

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

- Rupi Kaur

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

George posted:

using chome at work and holy lol there’s no reader view

I mean of course there’s not because google and ads and why do people use this poo poo again?

because firefox is bad (lists problems fixed 15 years ago)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
just use chredge lmao

George
Nov 27, 2004

Suspicious posted:

yeah this checks out

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Suspicious posted:

didnt know nbsd was back

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious posted:

seems like they should have fixed them by now.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Shaggar posted:

seems like they should have fixed them by now.

fine, dude. we'll all switch to edge, okay? can we end this dumbass browser argument now?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

DaTroof posted:

fine, dude. we'll all switch to edge, okay?

i wont

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Edge is the best browser.

One of my students called it internet explorer though while I was sharing my screen and I was rather put off

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Sagebrush posted:

Edge is the best browser.

One of my students called it internet explorer though while I was sharing my screen and I was rather put off

owned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s good about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's google chrome, which has the best performance and compatibility, but it sends all your data to microsoft instead of google. and microsoft has income streams that don't rely on stealing and selling your PII so i feel more comfortable with that.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

firefox performs far better than edge for me, looks nicer too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
firefox is the least bad browser

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

firefox is the least bad browser

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i know everyone is wondering so i'll just say it

firefox is the browser i use
unless i'm buying something then i use safari because apple pay owns

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

speaking of mozilla, i've been seeing ads for this lately

and it manifests a weird thing we discovered in my old job, and I'm gonna tell u about it so no one makes this mistake again.

so this was mid90s and VR was very hot and you needed a ton of sgi boxes to make it work right. Our thing was we had a CBT (Computer Based Training JAWN) app and we got pulled into a multiyear DARPA thing about using virtual environments as classrooms.

We needed a way to let the students know what they were supposed to do and give them a way to ask for help and so this other project had a thing with modelling human interaction in virtual environments so we got together and did a thing.

At first the "virtual assistant" (we called it steve) was just a disembodied floating head and everyone was happy. It'd tell you things and look at stuff it was talking about and we were happy. The admirals were happy. The grant people were happy. Everyone was happy.

Then at some point the guy running the steve project added a torso to his model. Everyone freaked the gently caress out. People HATED it. The phrase "disturbing and unnatural" was used by someone who was giving us money. Quadraplegic steve was universally hated. Idk what about it was wrong but everyone had this visceral reaction to it.

Finally the steve guy added arms and an api to make it point at things. Everyone suddenly calmed down. The arms made it look natural again. No one thought steve was an unholy abomination any more. The api worked ok and we had it point at things and look back at the user and things were good.

The moral of this story is:

1. Floating head: fine
  2. Floating head & torso: UN loving ACCEPTABLE
  3. Floating legless body: fine

I don't know or understand why this is true, but it is true. Mozilla, please don't hesitate to reach out if you need help with this. I keep seeing the same basic mistakes being made over and over in VR stuff and there's no reason for it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rotor posted:

speaking of mozilla, i've been seeing ads for this lately

and it manifests a weird thing we discovered in my old job, and I'm gonna tell u about it so no one makes this mistake again.

so this was mid90s and VR was very hot and you needed a ton of sgi boxes to make it work right. Our thing was we had a CBT (Computer Based Training JAWN) app and we got pulled into a multiyear DARPA thing about using virtual environments as classrooms.

We needed a way to let the students know what they were supposed to do and give them a way to ask for help and so this other project had a thing with modelling human interaction in virtual environments so we got together and did a thing.

At first the "virtual assistant" (we called it steve) was just a disembodied floating head and everyone was happy. It'd tell you things and look at stuff it was talking about and we were happy. The admirals were happy. The grant people were happy. Everyone was happy.

Then at some point the guy running the steve project added a torso to his model. Everyone freaked the gently caress out. People HATED it. The phrase "disturbing and unnatural" was used by someone who was giving us money. Quadraplegic steve was universally hated. Idk what about it was wrong but everyone had this visceral reaction to it.

Finally the steve guy added arms and an api to make it point at things. Everyone suddenly calmed down. The arms made it look natural again. No one thought steve was an unholy abomination any more. The api worked ok and we had it point at things and look back at the user and things were good.

The moral of this story is:

1. Floating head: fine
  2. Floating head & torso: UN loving ACCEPTABLE
  3. Floating legless body: fine

I don't know or understand why this is true, but it is true. Mozilla, please don't hesitate to reach out if you need help with this. I keep seeing the same basic mistakes being made over and over in VR stuff and there's no reason for it.

can't argue with this rigor

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I agree the head + torso is creppy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
nobody wants steves bust

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
weirdly all the kids cried like babies when we had a realistic decapitated golden retriever head give them helpful tips on how to use the app

George
Nov 27, 2004

just a face and a butt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i always wonder if a head & disembodied arms would be acceptable and I think it would be but idk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

VR Rule #1: any torso must have arms

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

rotor posted:

i always wonder if a head & disembodied arms would be acceptable and I think it would be but idk

the game rec room had a head, torso, and hands with no neck or arms connecting them. i think it worked pretty well. so you can still emote with your hands which is the important bit

the first time i played it, which was also my first experience with vr in general, i was playing ping pong against one of my friends. he scored a point and did a :boom: at me. like- not a premade taunt animation. he actually :boom:ed me. it was then that i realized the true potential of the tech

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the first time i played it, which was also my first experience with vr in general, i was playing ping pong against one of my friends. he scored a point and did a :boom: at me. like- not a premade taunt animation. he actually :boom:ed me. it was then that i realized the true potential of the tech

how do you control the hands?

edit: oh you were using a vr rig, nevermind

yeah if you have position sensors on the users hands and head you can get some really good body language now. Unfortunately I think the vr rigs are a niche and most people won't use them. I think computer vison is more likely to be successful but that has its own issues.

rotor fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 8, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah i don't think vr will ever escape niche. it also will never go away because it's just too good at what it does

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rotor posted:

how do you control the hands?

edit: oh you were using a vr rig, nevermind

yeah if you have position sensors on the users hands and head you can get some really good body language now. Unfortunately I think the vr rigs are a niche and most people won't use them. I think computer vison is more likely to be successful but that has its own issues.

among the vr-using population vr "rigs" i.e. sets with a headset and motion controllers are hardly a niche, nearly every pc and standalone headset comes with motion controllers. maybe if you include psvr there are more headsets without motion controllers, but those aren't using whatever this mozilla thing is

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

among the vr-using population vr "rigs" i.e. sets with a headset and motion controllers are hardly a niche, nearly every pc and standalone headset comes with motion controllers. maybe if you include psvr there are more headsets without motion controllers, but those aren't using whatever this mozilla thing is

right, i'm saying people with vr setups are the niche.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

setups? rigs? idk what we're calling them these days

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
vr daily drivers that you rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
dual liquid metal extensions of my eyesockets