Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Provence's actual niche is providing mofu mofu for red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
It seems so much easier to go for mastery than a whole bunch of e2s. I have Bagpipe and Eyja at S3M3, my only e2s, I cannot stand the LMD and level grind to get a unit to e2! but I should probably change my stance. Next is Angelina, then probably Blaze. That’s so much LMD and so many levels...

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Both of their S3s are good, but Blaze's makes her so much better.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Paper Lion posted:

you should not be doing masteries until you have a solid stable of 15-20 E2 operators first.

M1 for many operators is a sizable increase in power, for a rather low investment of resources. I agree, M3ing skills on 6 star OPs before you have a pool of ops to choose from is hard to justify, but M1ing key skills, particularly those that give big bonuses at M1, is perfectly fine. I'd be damned if I cautioned somebody to skip Eyja's S2M1 because they needed more E2s first.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Hazdoc posted:

M1 for many operators is a sizable increase in power, for a rather low investment of resources. I agree, M3ing skills on 6 star OPs before you have a pool of ops to choose from is hard to justify, but M1ing key skills, particularly those that give big bonuses at M1, is perfectly fine. I'd be damned if I cautioned somebody to skip Eyja's S2M1 because they needed more E2s first.

That's a good point. I'm in m3 hell myself and I miss the days of doing e2s. :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You should probably check on a database site to see what M1/3 actually does for your chosen skill, first. Sometimes its a minor numbers boost, other times it's a really big thing like "have an extra bomb" or "allow stocking up of one more charge" etc.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I like to use gamepress or that aceship site for info. It used to be gobbledygook but it’s making more sense now that I’ve played for a while. I still just like to get some objective goon opinions

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Smoove J posted:

It seems so much easier to go for mastery than a whole bunch of e2s. I have Bagpipe and Eyja at S3M3, my only e2s, I cannot stand the LMD and level grind to get a unit to e2! but I should probably change my stance. Next is Angelina, then probably Blaze. That’s so much LMD and so many levels...

This is untrue, M3 hell makes E2 hell seem quaint. After you do some M3s you end up with enough passive LMD saved up to do E2s on a whim.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Clarste posted:

This is untrue, M3 hell makes E2 hell seem quaint. After you do some M3s you end up with enough passive LMD saved up to do E2s on a whim.

This. I just spent awhile catching up on M3's several characters I'd had on the backburner and by the time I was done I had four million LMD sitting around to throw at whatever. I wasn't even running the LMD Supply stage during that time either.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 25, 2020

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Clarste posted:

I had just been in E2 hell a month ago before I went 'gently caress it, I'm gonna M3 some guys instead'. Honestly, M3ing felt more enjoyable than E2 hell and about equivalent amounts of grindiness. Y'all vets have forgotten what it's like to be a newbie with an enormous backlog of dudes to build. You're only getting new units once every couple weeks, so of course you would've had a pile of XP books and a small lump of cash accumulated from your base and ready to go. As a newbie, you're constantly out of money and XP books (because guess what, it's trivially easy to blow through your daily passive income each day when you have such a huge backlog) and chips and chip glue.

Your looking at your endless list of units to M3, is the exact same feeling a newbie has when looking at their backlog of units to bring to E2. Where you spend your time farming the extra M3 materials, a newbie is having to farm XP books (which feels like such a waste of stamina) because it's so easy to run out of them early on. You could wait on your base to passively produce them, but then you're sitting on a gimped team to begin with and you're then just delaying your own progression.

I'm at like 5 E2s so far right now and I feel I can handle almost all content. I've started alternating E2ing and M3ing guys, and that has been a lot more enjoyable. By the time you farm M3 materials + E2 materials for your new guy, your base will have accumulated enough money and XP to level your guy to E1 max.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pretty much, I alternate M3s and E2s to give myself some variety in what I do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be honest, I have never once felt like I had an enormous backlog of units to build. Maybe this is a different way of approaching the game, but I just do not care at all about the units I am not currently using? You talk about getting new units every couple of weeks, but the vast majority of my barracks is filled with level 1 people I've never touched and even if I get a new 5 or 6 star I don't actually care about them unless I also liked their role in the story or think they're funny or whatever. I still haven't even promoted Amiya, tbh.

I can't speak for anyone else, but how it went for me personally was that I ran out of people I cared to E2, so I started doing M3 instead. And then I ran out of people to M3, so I started leveling my squad up to max level. And soon I'll be running out of those too.

This is what my barracks looks like:

So to be perfectly honest it really sounds to me like a lot of people spend a lot of time and resources leveling up characters they don't need to. Like, yeah, I know Silverash and Ifrit and Ptilopsis are amazing, but do I need them? No. So I don't spend resources on them. I don't feel the need to level up anyone just because I have them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 25, 2020

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
When you're new, just your first 3-4 E2s feel like an enormous backlog just to get your team going. Partly because of all the XP farming you'd need to do.

Compounded with the fact that starting out, you simply don't have that many units to begin with, so sometimes you're making do with what you have. You end up with a pile of half-leveled Midnights and Estelles and Myrrhs before you pull their upgraded versions. I've recently finally gotten to the point where I'd get a new guy and I finally have the luxury of saying 'well, I don't actually need that unit' and leaving them at level 1. When you're starting out and don't have much of a roster to begin with, you don't have that luxury. You work with whatever you're given, even if it sometimes means 'wasting' some effort on a subpar option.

It also doesn't help when folks say 'screw the meta, use what you like!' Well, I'd never figure out what I'd like unless I take them out for a spin. Which isn't a complaint, by the way -- I'm very happy and impressed with the new design spaces they've dreamt up, and I'm genuinely excited by things like Shiftknights and Jaye and Ifrit.

e: Should post my roster too. For frame of reference I started mid-July.

Main team/units I've invested in

Regrets, i.e. half-baked units before I pulled better versions

(I know everyone says you should invest in an AoE healer, but I've never felt like I needed one, especially when Saria exists.)

The start of my reject pile

(even though Bibeak is a cutie patootey and it breaks my heart)

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 25, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, when the game first came out the story only went to chapter 4 and it was more or less expected that you'd clear all the content in the entire game without a single E2. So getting a character to E2 felt like a luxury, not a necessity. I'd imagine that's changed by now and everyone seems to want to get a usable E2 as fast as they possibly can. Back in the day I used to take new characters I wanted to use up to E1 40 and think "okay, that's a good stopping point." But from what I can tell, that mindset has shifted towards maybe E2 20, which is significantly more of hurdle for getting someone into the usable zone.

As for "screw the meta, use who you like" I think most people are talking about using the characters you like as characters, not the characters who you like as gameplay devices. Like, when you start the game you are introduced to Nearl as a super-cool knight lady and you think "I want her! I want to use her!" Regardless of the fact that her kit kind of sucks for everything but weird limited deployment challenges. That sort of thing.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 25, 2020

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
That makes sense. I think I only felt the pressure to E2 when the September CC got announced. I think my only E2 was Angelina at that point, with half-baked Saria and Lappland in the pipes (which I brought to E2 in the middle of CC).

And in case you're wondering, that was just barely enough to get max tier of rewards for every day except for one, although some days took quite a bit of effort, and some maps were real dicey and sketchy. Especially when you can borrow M3 Myrtles and Eyjas from my dear goon friends (pretty sure the Eyja did about 98% of the actual work every map).

Smoove J posted:

I still just like to get some objective goon opinions

...so yeah I think you're doing quite fine by the time the next CC rolls around.

e: Oh but that said, you should do what others are suggesting and looking up what M3s actually get you. If it hits a new breakpoint (like storing an extra charge, or a sniper ability going off every 3 shots instead of 4), then that's great, go for it. Skills tend to breakpoint at Level 4, Level 7, M1, or M3, so look for those. If an M1 breakpoint, just leave it at M1 and your effort is better spent raising someone else. Yknow, an opportunity cost thing.

Here's another resource I've been using. Has one-liner subjective opinions about every unit and each skill. Pretty good, concise cheat-sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L5smDJR2_4JCLvDJpT2Cz94inl8MFtRXH-xEOyuahIA/edit#gid=1396258715

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 25, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

new skins and ops from the cn stream

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You're missing Amiya with her new Hanzo steel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You're missing Amiya with her new Hanzo steel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm way excited for Amiya and Ch'en to perform the fusion dance.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've seen many a gacha dev stream, but that stream kinda ruled.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well poo poo, it appears the true Guardknights begins now. :unsmigghh:

Edit: Also pleased to see Rosemontis, I was curious about her when she showed up in Blaze's background stuff.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvvozsqYNp8&t=1132s

If anyone wants to watch a restream VOD on Youtube.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also Mudrock cute as heck.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEoHV6WSGrc

High def Chap 8 PV. Spoilers within.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dVceOLQqHmLO7L9iWOTkOeu2WjnuRRF_D9XCwbKz724/preview?pru=AAABdYPAgAU*fDLSbihIsnVW8xTKMqv8_Q
https://old.reddit.com/r/arknights/comments/jhsa4z/15_cn_anniversary_2020_arknights_thankyou/

Couple of stream translations as well.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Weird that of the 3 limited operators so far 2 are AoE snipers. Although I guess Rosmontis doesn't seem quite like a standard AoE sniper. Glad to see they're doing something to shake up annihilatio, the status quo is getting pretty tired. Although global probably isn't getting this new thing anytime soon.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

lmao this is great
I'm assuming this is a permanent change? What new single-target casters do we get between now and then?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Redmark posted:

lmao this is great
I'm assuming this is a permanent change? What new single-target casters do we get between now and then?

you can swap her freely somehow, once you fill the pre-reqs

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Redmark posted:

What new single-target casters do we get between now and then?

pretty sure we have every ST caster but Tomimi.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

LibrarianCroaker posted:

pretty sure we have every ST caster but Tomimi.

We're missing Click, a 4 star as well. casters in general are a completely dead archetype imo, Eyja and Ceobe are just too good to top as single target and Eyja also invalidates the entirety of the AOE group.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You say that but I think they're having a bit of a diversity renaissance with Beeswax and Mint.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

We're missing Click, a 4 star as well. casters in general are a completely dead archetype imo, Eyja and Ceobe are just too good to top as single target and Eyja also invalidates the entirety of the AOE group.

They're good, but you have to actually have those two, and lower rarity alternatives can fill in gaps where arts damage is needed. Amiya alone is a freebie unit and the best source of true damage in the game.

AOE casters aren't even a bad subset either, it's more that there aren't many maps that let the archetype shine very well - for example, large swarms of high defense/low resistance mobs. That said, I kinda feel like they should at least give AOE casters single-target Sniper range at minimum, though I figure they're pretty much trying to avoid casters outright being better than snipers due to how arts damage works vs physical.

Definitely an archetype that needs some different styles in it (like Beeswax and Mint, as mentioned), but hardly dead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Finally, the next evolution of Guardknights where all existing operators are gradually converted into guards.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The cake meme but it's guards.

https://twitter.com/seeyouguyslater/status/1320434641954836485

God I hope this is true...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Anyway, even ignoring the casters who make every other caster obsolete, I think the most fundamental problem with the caster class is that they exist entirely to be a hard counter to high defense enemies (they are otherwise strictly worse than snipers), except the devs also seem to be extremely uncomfortable with making them necessary so it seems like every other sniper or guard can also deal arts damage or pierce armor or simply do so much damage that they don't care. To the point where, like, Exusiai is the only good character who actually cares about enemies with armor at all.

Honestly it's pretty easy to just use no casters whatsoever and you won't be making the game that much harder on yourself.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 26, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm just waiting for the first caster that can generate DP and then we'll have all the Casterknights memes in the world because that's all the major niches covered.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

it's her this is my wife and nobody else can have her :swoon:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

shed be tall either way but do you think they measure from the tip of the horns or the top of her head

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

You say that but I think they're having a bit of a diversity renaissance with Beeswax and Mint.

Yeah, I'll be curious to see them since they're rolling a similar gimmick to Angelina with the bonus of being also usable as a sort of ranged defense when they're not casting. Seems interesting if not also powerful. And they're both cute too so, ya know . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

I can't get over the fact that Tachanka is technically an isekai protagonist now because of the collab.