Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The Nightzmora are (lore spoilers) actually not standard Ancients like most people living on Terra. It's almost exclusively passive lore, but there were in the distant past a race called the Elders we know very little about other then that they were functionally fascists who ruled the continent as a whole and were eventually overthrown at some point still in the distant past, but from what we do know their animal traits/capabilities were amplifed considerably and the general consensus in theorycrafting circles is that they were functionally the progenitors of what would become modern-day Ancients. Anyway, some races seem to have unique sub-race classifications for people whose bloodline are distinctly closer to that of their Elder precursors than others of their same race, and the Nightzmora are one such sub-race distinct from your average Kuranta, tying specifically into mares from Germanic and Slavic folklore (evil black/red horses associated with illusions and nightmares) instead of just. you know. horses. They didn't die out completely after the Khagan vanished and the people scattered, but for the most part they dispersed enough that there aren't many actual groups still living together, and those we know do exist explicitly do not live in Kazimierz in present day (I think they settled in Sargon? Don't quote me on that one)

If you want another example of unique sub-race classifications, the Tulla family from Operation Originium Dust also have Elder ancestry, though we didn't really get specifics on how it manifests for them to separate them from other Reproba (and, well, we've also only ever gotten two Reproba operators as well, Spot and Beanstalk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Redmark posted:

Nightmare Knight was probably my favorite part of the event, but he doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything. Where'd he even come from? It's said that the Nightzmora haven't been relevant for a thousand years, so how come this guy suddenly has Mongol superpowers and no one to guide him?

I think we get a flashback where his mom tells him "Tola you don't need to follow the path of conquest like our ancestors" so presumably there was still at least a couple Nightzmora around they were just living relatively peaceful lives instead of doing the whole warfare thing. Then his mum died and he decided to go all in on that stuff in order to die an honorable death.

I don't think there really needs to be an explanation beyond "yeah some Nightzmora stuck around actually".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also, he was relevant to the event because he provides a different but equally valid perspective on the traditional honor of a "knight" and provides something of a foil for Maria and Margaret.

Edit: Incidentally, that's also why Candle Knight and Blood Knight exist. They all interrogate Margaret's values in different ways.

Edit2: Specifically, Candle asks "doesn't this honor you seek exist only in stories?", Nightmare asks "doesn't this honor you seek exist only in conquest?", and Blood Knight asks "what purpose does this honor serve?" Or something like that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 16, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In some ways he comes off even more naive than Maria from the start of her event. He's chasing an ideal even further away from reality and although he knows that he clings to it even more stubbornly.

I think they play up how tragic his entire deal is pretty well.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think we get a flashback where his mom tells him "Tola you don't need to follow the path of conquest like our ancestors" so presumably there was still at least a couple Nightzmora around they were just living relatively peaceful lives instead of doing the whole warfare thing. Then his mum died and he decided to go all in on that stuff in order to die an honorable death.

I don't think there really needs to be an explanation beyond "yeah some Nightzmora stuck around actually".

Yeah it's mostly just odd that you can become a feared warrior, channel the nightmares people have of your ancestors and also summon ghost soldiers just by trying really hard where all the others gave up. I mean the other races can too but there's more than one person, like many Sarkaz have powerful arts, etc.
I guess it's a bit more romantic? heroic? than the game usually goes for; not saying it's a bad thing of course.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Clarste posted:

Having done both strategies just for fun, I'd have to say that rushing forward is actually more difficult than just rotating tanks. Or at least it requires better, more powerful units since it's spreading your forces thinner without reducing the number of lanes you need to defend.

I had thorns and some snipers up forward, and they killed the ranged archers, meaning I only needed 1 tank, and nobody broke the blocks, so I could hold right side with just blaze, basically

it was so easy I was stylin on people with swire, as you do

Raviente
Mar 1, 2013
I thought that Tola accomplishes very little was precisely the point - that this is what a single person, acting entirely alone, is able to accomplish simply raging against the system. As a foil to Margaret, who is close to following a similar path, but at the end relies on the support of everyone else to literally protect her life from the Armorless Union, among other things.

I guess at the end he does gain personal satisfaction/vindication from his quest, but the story does put him in a tragic light.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/ArknightsEN/status/1526049811132203010
CC7 in early June, has an Aak skin

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1vZ4y1a7Be?p=2
CC9 preview, has a new operator and a Gladiia skin

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Raviente posted:

I thought that Tola accomplishes very little was precisely the point - that this is what a single person, acting entirely alone, is able to accomplish simply raging against the system. As a foil to Margaret, who is close to following a similar path, but at the end relies on the support of everyone else to literally protect her life from the Armorless Union, among other things.

I guess at the end he does gain personal satisfaction/vindication from his quest, but the story does put him in a tragic light.
I agree that there's this dynamic but I found it almost a darkly comedic one. It's true that they're all raging against the system, but Tola is thinking of an entirely different system to overcome than the others are.
I think it was Zofia that kept calling him crazy/a maniac, and that's probably how they all feel, but his strength and conviction casts his lunacy in a sobering light rather than an ironic one. It's one thing to talk big about how the Khagan's been dead for a thousand years, but when you're facing down the cavalry in the arena there's a fleeting moment where you see the reflection of the horde that mastered the world. It's as much of a victory as he could have hoped for.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tola ain't even really rampaging against the system. He just hates it and it's not what he was searching for. Outside of trying to convince people to fight him to the death he's not trying to change anything.

Anyway his whole "I am my Khagan!" is pretty tragic imo. Like, he's so caught up in the past that he can literally recreate it but it still completely fails to deter the Blood Knight at all. His main aim in all this is to die in battle and despite all his strength and even with the literal manifestation of the legends he values so much he can't even compel someone to treat this like a fight to the death. And game's pretty clear about him being fairly young and he's already primarily focused on his end. Dude is having a rough go of things.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Redmark posted:

Nightmare Knight was probably my favorite part of the event, but he doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything. Where'd he even come from? It's said that the Nightzmora haven't been relevant for a thousand years, so how come this guy suddenly has Mongol superpowers and no one to guide him?

He's a guy from somewhere near Fantasy Poland that's obsessed with being a steppe nomad*; I was assuming he was Fantasy Hungarian. Why he's so Good At Fights? I dunno, he was probably wandering around the woods fighting bears for a few years.

(*though of course their "horsemen" did everything on foot, because they are the horses)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4k2t1X5VuA

Eggs risk spotted, tremble in fear.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

This is the worst timeline.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Brutal Garcon posted:

He's a guy from somewhere near Fantasy Poland that's obsessed with being a steppe nomad*; I was assuming he was Fantasy Hungarian.

Real life Mongolian khaganates invaded Poland a couple times, between that and his armor the Nightzmora are definitely based mostly on the Mongols :v:
Wouldn't be surprised if there's also partial inspiration from other history, ofc

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

I had thorns and some snipers up forward, and they killed the ranged archers, meaning I only needed 1 tank, and nobody broke the blocks, so I could hold right side with just blaze, basically

it was so easy I was stylin on people with swire, as you do

Yeah, because you're using Thorns who can handle 95% of all maps by himself. He's a powerful dude who makes maps easier, yes. Blaze is pretty good too? That's exactly what I meant when I said it requires more powerful units who can handle more on their own.

Edit: For the record I was using the Kazimierz-only team, who aren't exactly weak or low rarity, but their best lane-clearers are Ashlock and Whislash, so yeah.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 16, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

Real life Mongolian khaganates invaded Poland a couple times, between that and his armor the Nightzmora are definitely based mostly on the Mongols :v:
Wouldn't be surprised if there's also partial inspiration from other history, ofc

I got a Sarmatism vibe, which was a period where Polish nobles became obsessed with Poland's supposed descent from the ancient Sarmatian nomads. He even has the right armor https://pl-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Karacena?_x_tr_sl=pl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

oh nooooooooooooooooooooo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flametail's dodging is very useful against enemies like the Lazurites. Seems like a very handy ability in general against enemies that hit "really hard, but not 1-shot kills" (and particularly ones that build up some sort of status like that). There's the RNG element, but that doesn't matter when you're doing a challenge mode and don't care about getting a working auto.

Clarste posted:

Yeah, because you're using Thorns who can handle 95% of all maps by himself. He's a powerful dude who makes maps easier, yes. Blaze is pretty good too? That's exactly what I meant when I said it requires more powerful units who can handle more on their own.

Edit: For the record I was using the Kazimierz-only team, who aren't exactly weak or low rarity, but their best lane-clearers are Ashlock and Whislash, so yeah.

Thorns is one of the couple operators I generally try to avoid using these days, just because he trivializes so much. He feels sorta like Ch'en Alter in the sense that he has a skill that feels like it would normally have more of a timing limitation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm not sure exactly how it stacks with her passive, but I think Flametail gets 100% evasion while using S3? So it's less random than you might think if you're combining it with other stuff like Gravel or stuns.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

I'm not sure exactly how it stacks with her passive, but I think Flametail gets 100% evasion while using S3? So it's less random than you might think if you're combining it with other stuff like Gravel or stuns.

It's multiplicative, not additive, so she can't hit 100% ever. She can get very close with buffs from others though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

S3 is like 85% so she still be tanking like a champ tbh. Not sure devoting more units to create a 100% dodge build would be necessary.

She really impressed me over Near Light. Very cool unit imo.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

5* Sniper [Besieger]

Trait: Targets highest weight enemy

Talent: Can attack Sleeping enemies. When attacking Sleeping enemies, ignore a certain percentage of DEF

Skill 1: The next attack inflicts [Sleep] to the enemy for several seconds and deals a certain amount of Physical damage

Skill 2: When skill is activated, increase ATK and Attack Speed. Prioritize Sleeping targets

(and as a reminder Sleeping enemies are invulnerable and unable to move)

also note she's Minoan so she gets buffed by Pallas

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Can't believe HG stole a bard from XIV and shoved it into their game.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

pretty unusal for them to put a unit that requires another unit for their skill synergy.. i like her art but feel like she's probably not going to be worth the trouble.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something that will work with Blemishine's S2! Probably the first non-6* Sniper I'll use in a very long time.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

S3 is like 85% so she still be tanking like a champ tbh. Not sure devoting more units to create a 100% dodge build would be necessary.

She really impressed me over Near Light. Very cool unit imo.

Definitely my favorite Vanguard now. Kind of want to master her S2 at some point also, since it seems like it could be used in neat ways (with the dodge buff to other characters).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ytlaya posted:

Something that will work with Blemishine's S2! Probably the first non-6* Sniper I'll use in a very long time.

Platinum is pretty great! I use her a lot, usually over exu or ash assuming I can get some value out of her extra range and I don't need ash to flashbang something.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Platinum is pretty great! I use her a lot, usually over exu or ash assuming I can get some value out of her extra range and I don't need ash to flashbang something.

Ditto, she's the only Sniper I've max leveled since she's reliably good in any situation.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Should I promote Mulberry or Honeyberry? I'm leaning towards Honeyberry since her S1 seems incredibly good for actual elemental healing.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

honestly either one is probably fine, but element damage is typically only a problem on 1 unit at a time so Mulberry is perhaps better, but at this point I don't think it matters that much. long term you will probably want to level both since honeyberry is better when multiple people are getting blasted

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

LornMarkus posted:

Ditto, she's the only Sniper I've max leveled since she's reliably good in any situation.

Yeah, she's a real workhorse.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfq9_Zw4vqw

Not the most clever or inventive clear, but I enjoyed making it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bena is inventive, imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I did it with Bena on my alt account and it turns out she is super good at this? S-3 as well.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finished scanlating chapter 1 of the A1 manhua.

It's 75 pages, enjoy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wow, Beagle has like, zero presence.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

100% accurate to the game

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

If you think about it, since they're from Tkaronto they're actually Canadian citizens.

Well, I'd imagine that both Canada and the US are covered by Columbia. Like how Mousse is Victorian even though she's clearly French. Maybe Victoria ate up that piece of Gaul or whatever.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That was neat, thank you. This thing is canon then?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

She is (she's definitely my favorite 5* Sniper), but I generally like Archetto the most as my "generic sniper" (not because she's better, but just because I enjoy the way her S2 works; it just feels nice to frequently use it to evaporate things and have control over trying to make it ricochet well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhsMiAk0P1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViOfWcQ-Yno

I think I prefer CC8's themes, personally.