Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Tokyo Mirage Sessions Sharp Eff Eee Encore also known as Shin Megami Tensei Cross Fire Emblem is a Switch port of a 2015 JRPG. It released on the WiiU and sold about 3,000 copies meaning each console owner bought an impressive 15 copies per person. The game received generally favorable reviews from the handful of people that played it, and it's out on something people actually own now so here's a thread for newcomer discussion.

The original now-closed thread for it can be found here

The game itself is best described as a Fire Emblem-flavored version of Persona game, e.g. a JRPG where the personas you summon are Fire Emblem characters such as Chrom, the shopkeep is Anna, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gYQCOlW9E

Encore version enhancements:
Includes DLC from the original
New dungeons / Ex Story Chapters
New outfits
New songs
You can choose to have Tsubasa need glasses for some reason
Non-combat members can join in attacks
Ability to fast forward session attacks
Improved load times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's a better Persona game than Persona 5, dang it :colbert:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

It's a better Persona game than Persona 5, dang it :colbert:

refuse to endorse this but it is good so far

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I borrowed a friend's Wii U to play this game

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
yes but did it restore the vagina bones

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

General Morden posted:

they took them away even in the japanese version this time

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

General Morden posted:

My understanding is that all versions of Encore in all regions are based off of the Western version, so it's no bones for anyone anywhere.

edit: f,b

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
No bones about it! This game is wack!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ive only gotten to beating the first boss and leaving the area and the game is already thirsty enough as it is

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stux posted:

refuse to endorse this but it is good so far

Hyberbole aside, I am glad more than 10 people gets to play this game this time around

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Do the FE characters actually do anything with the cast outside of fights or are they just there to facilitate combat like personas?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Do the FE characters actually do anything with the cast outside of fights or are they just there to facilitate combat like personas?

There's a little magical realm room where you do all your upgrading etc. stuff and they're in there and you can talk to them.

Otherwise, they're just personas.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

There's a little magical realm room where you do all your upgrading etc. stuff and they're in there and you can talk to them.

Otherwise, they're just personas.

There is banter between the cast and the FE characters in dungeons and battles, the later of which is still untranslated

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Played this on wii u back in the day, but i did just buy it to give it to a friend. Fantastic game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I never finished the original because it was just too hard to justify having the Wii U take up space where I was living at the time. My other half tells me this got delivered and it's waiting for me when I get home so I'm pretty psyched to tear into it again this weekend.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

There is banter between the cast and the FE characters in dungeons and battles, the later of which is still untranslated

its a shame cos the animations and stuff are super good and its all really polished except that, but its minor overall

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oh Snapple! posted:

Tiki is a real character

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Oh Snapple! posted:

They talk with the party outside dungeons and banter during cutscenes and sidequests. They have personalities unlike their Shadow Dragon counterparts.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Cross-posting from the MegaTen thread:

W.T. Fits posted:

"no, glasses are no good,"

W.T. Fits posted:

https://twitter.com/WT_Fits/status/1218283000443486208

Edit:

Don't wear glasses - Tsubasa won't wear glasses in casual outfits. For those who like people as they are.
Wear glasses - Tsubasa will wear glasses in casual outfits. Recommended for eyewear connoisseurs.
Choose for me - Randomly chooses one of the two settings. For those who just can't make up their minds.

W.T. Fits posted:

I never finished my playthrough on the Wii U, even though I made it pretty drat far into the game. I kept running into a glitch where I'd go to read the characters' profiles when they updated after plot segments, and the game would freeze up. So I eventually just stopped playing.

Restarting from scratch on the Switch version, and god, did I miss these dorks. :unsmith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

barry keeps yelling out english curses in his best joseph jostar impression

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Stux posted:

Barry Goodman is a national treasure.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
This game is so much better without the crazy load times. Even opening the menu could be bad on the WiiU version.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I think the Itsuki/Tsubasa Duo Art is still missable(?) so here is the guide on how to get it from the last version which I assume still works.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/701254-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe/73976145

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seems like the Pierce bug is still in.

tldr do not learn the passive skill Pierce. Its stronger counterpart Penetrate is okay to learn.

Fine print:
Pierce is a passive that makes your physical attacks ignore Resist. The bug is that the game's Session calculations treat Pierce as a higher level skill called Penetrate which makes you ignore nullify and drain in addition to resist.

So if you have Pierce the game thinks you can ignore Nullify and Drain conditions when you cannot, and will make you attack those sometimes which breaks your Sessions on the unsuccessful hit (and in case of Drain heal the enemy.)

So like if you're fighting an enemy that Nullifies Fire and hit it with a Sword attack, it can trigger Sword-Blaze and that ends your combo.

The exception is (Spoiler until Chapter 5) Yashiro. Because of that character's session skill variety Pierce works okay.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Wasn't there another bug where the character profiles would get so big they would just crash the game? Wonder if that's still a thing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Seeing this game get re-released really makes me want to play it. I've got a copy of it. I have my WiiU. I could easily plug in the WiiU and play the game. That's all I have to do why do I want to buy this again on the Switch what is wrong with me

But anyways I think this might have been the hardest I've ever bounced off of a game. I absolutely loved it clearing through the first dungeon but then at some point I started thinking that the dungeons were lasting too long and the puzzles were not super fun and I was begging the game for an Axe user. Also the Mirage designs are very polarizing and I'm very much in the "wow I hate them" camp. But I feel like none of those things are enough to stop me from trying again

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I dunno if I'm just not far enough into the game yet or if I'm expecting too much coming from P5, but while I really enjoy the game so far, I feel like the combat could stand to be a bit flashier. Even the whatever-skills (essentially your supers when your bar is charged) look kind of underwhelming. I can't really put my finger on it, nothing's bad or turning me off the game, I just always catch myself thinking "man that could've used some extra fancy shmancy effects" or something along those lines. Something to make the attacks, especially the bigger ones, feel more special. So far it's just 3 people standing in a circle stabbing various things at enemies.

As an example (Chapter 1 Boss Spoilers): The cutscene leading into that boss was pretty badass. Tsubasa falling out of the sky and then riding on a Pegasus that then turns into some sort of horse-motorcycle-F15 hybrid with the front half of a horse and the back half of "two loving jet engines". That was so cool! And then it switches into battle and she just stands there bopping back and forth, drawing circles into the air or jump stabbing a spear at something. Just kinda disappointing and underwhelming :( But to be fair, that's where I stopped last night so who know's what's still to come.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tms was made years before p5.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This game is good. I just lost 3 hours of progress because I got my poo poo kicked in by a side quest battle.
That is not a gripe about the game. I should have saved more, but the anime bullshit almost made me forget I'm playing a SMT game.
I do wish they had subtitles for battle related stuff. It's hard to really get what is going on when everybody is talking Japanese.

Also Kiria hits hard doesn't she?

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 22, 2020

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

abraxas posted:

I dunno if I'm just not far enough into the game yet or if I'm expecting too much coming from P5, but while I really enjoy the game so far, I feel like the combat could stand to be a bit flashier. Even the whatever-skills (essentially your supers when your bar is charged) look kind of underwhelming. I can't really put my finger on it, nothing's bad or turning me off the game, I just always catch myself thinking "man that could've used some extra fancy shmancy effects" or something along those lines. Something to make the attacks, especially the bigger ones, feel more special. So far it's just 3 people standing in a circle stabbing various things at enemies.

As an example (Chapter 1 Boss Spoilers): The cutscene leading into that boss was pretty badass. Tsubasa falling out of the sky and then riding on a Pegasus that then turns into some sort of horse-motorcycle-F15 hybrid with the front half of a horse and the back half of "two loving jet engines". That was so cool! And then it switches into battle and she just stands there bopping back and forth, drawing circles into the air or jump stabbing a spear at something. Just kinda disappointing and underwhelming :( But to be fair, that's where I stopped last night so who know's what's still to come.

I will say it does get flashier later on in very specific ways, but remember that this game was before P5, and with a significantly lower budget.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

my main problem coming from persona and other smt games is that its a bit easy but i guess they wanted fe people to play it and im still enjoying it a lot regardless.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Are there adjustable difficulties from the start?

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Item Getter posted:

There's a hard mode. I don't know what it does but it feels pretty good.

I never had a wiiU but I always wanted to play this. I'm glad it came to switch because it owns.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stux posted:

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1219451772671950849?s=19

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1220178052589555713?s=19

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Item Getter posted:

there is easy, medium and hard. idk if it unlocks granular stuff like in persona on a ng+.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think all the difficulties are just that, so you don't need to worry about missing anything. That being said, after making my sixth trip between the first dungeon and Tiki to forge more weapons I'm starting to remember some of my original problems with the game.

It's also worth mentioning that apparently the game languished in a state of "having absolutely no idea what to do" for a long time until they finally decided on something resembling the final result. This game is actually really interesting in that sense, contextually, where this game is explicitly a Persona (let's admit it they didn't actually do any SMT here it's all Persona)spinoff game, and yet this game has less in common with Persona than Three Houses does. I'm not sure if leaving all of the things they tried here on the cutting room floor when it came to make their next game is a good sign or bad sign, but when you consider how 3H turned out maybe it was for the best

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its actually way less persona or smt than i was expecting but im still enjoying it. the combat system uses the same basic idea but does a new thing instead of smt press turns and persona all out attacks. it is very easy though even on hard.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Stux posted:

its actually way less persona or smt than i was expecting but im still enjoying it. the combat system uses the same basic idea but does a new thing instead of smt press turns and persona all out attacks. it is very easy though even on hard.

It makes me do the thing where the game is so easy that I skip doing almost any battles and then get to a mini/boss fight and get instakilled via enemy session, then you go and gain maybe two levels and then clown the fight

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It makes me do the thing where the game is so easy that I skip doing almost any battles and then get to a mini/boss fight and get instakilled via enemy session, then you go and gain maybe two levels and then clown the fight

i did get killed by one mini boss because i thought i should buff up when the actual answer was to just to kill off everything but the boss on the first turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

It’s enough of an SMT game that one savage encounter went poorly enough to wipe my party on the second turn and erase about an hour’s worth of progress.

This just in: save often.