Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I bet that dastardly McNish was behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

i actually thought about this the other day and how hilarious it would be if someone tried it

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This obviously isnt on the same level as Kyle Larson but is arguably worse than what Bubba Wallace did so Audi (German car companies are known for their sense of humor) probably fires this idiot, right?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

This obviously isnt on the same level as Kyle Larson but is arguably worse than what Bubba Wallace did so Audi probably fires this idiot, right?

Lol you should look up who owns Audi's FE team

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Basticle posted:

This obviously isnt on the same level as Kyle Larson but is arguably worse than what Bubba Wallace did so Audi (German car companies are known for their sense of humor) probably fires this idiot, right?

Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Basticle posted:

Yes, Audi; a manufacturer with a spotless moral record :thunk:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
This is pretty much the equivalent of blowing off a media engagement because you can't be hosed, and the fine is probably about the same you'd get for that normally. Yeah it's silly but some people are already writing breathless takes about ~bringing the sport into disrepute~ and I'm like, come on, dude just got tired of Formula Everyone Drive Over Each Other At Turn 1, who can blame him?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
While I agree and I think it’s funny Abt is sort of a jackass and binman TBH.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also, Audi is gone from DTM and the series is perilously close to collapse. Honda must be fuming at re-engineering the NSX to accept a front engine layout for easier adaptation to DTM regs.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Abt owns for doing that.

Currently working on my script of some esports ringer doing that stunt for an established driver, getting himself an actual race seat out of it, and eventually becoming a motorsports legend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hunnert car pileup posted:

Abt owns for doing that.

Currently working on my script of some esports ringer doing that stunt for an established driver, getting himself an actual race seat out of it, and eventually becoming a motorsports legend.

i think this is basically the plot of "Singin' In The Rain"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

the paradigm shift posted:

Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler

Yeah he has about as much chance of being fired for this as Lance Stroll does of losing his F1 seat ever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

Also, Audi is gone from DTM and the series is perilously close to collapse. Honda must be fuming at re-engineering the NSX to accept a front engine layout for easier adaptation to DTM regs.

it really sucks op, although it's funny that BMW are the ones left holding the bag in DTM.

I guess we know why last year they were trying to push the Class 1 regulations as an alternative to what became Hypercar/LMDh

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

njsykora posted:

Yeah he has about as much chance of being fired for this as Lance Stroll does of losing his F1 seat ever.

quote:

Daniel Abt has been suspended from the Audi Formula E team with immediate effect after he cheated in last weekend’s round of the Race at Home Challenge Esports series.

lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

"suspended" "with immediate effect"

not like he's missing out on much.

watch the backlash be much worse for the sim racer who pretended to be Abt.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'd be more interested in DTM if they went back to being actual touring cars instead of a single seater chassis on a silhouette body. Every time I've caught highlights it's just so loving dull.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I'm going to say being suspended from a team that wasn't racing isn't much of a punishment, especially given he was suspended from the virtual series anyway.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

I'd be more interested in DTM if they went back to being actual touring cars instead of a single seater chassis on a silhouette body. Every time I've caught highlights it's just so loving dull.

DTM is pretty boned. There's already multiple other GT3 series in Germany, so they can't switch to GT3s; there's already TCR series too, and even then, DTM has really never been the front-wheel drive touring cars (between the first DTM and the current iteration there was a series to Supertouring rules, but it wasn't truly the DTM).

so what can they do? Maybe use GTE cars, but that's not too different from GT3s and only BMW would be happy. Do they try something cheaper? Who knows.

the funny thing is the same ingredients make Super GT a real good series, but due to race formatting and a few other key choices DTM just isn't as sexy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone explain Super Gt to me.

Long distance races? It's own spec of card plus GT3s. And all the Japanese Manufacturers take it super seriously. Is that right?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

DTM is pretty boned. There's already multiple other GT3 series in Germany, so they can't switch to GT3s; there's already TCR series too, and even then, DTM has really never been the front-wheel drive touring cars (between the first DTM and the current iteration there was a series to Supertouring rules, but it wasn't truly the DTM).

so what can they do? Maybe use GTE cars, but that's not too different from GT3s and only BMW would be happy. Do they try something cheaper? Who knows.

the funny thing is the same ingredients make Super GT a real good series, but due to race formatting and a few other key choices DTM just isn't as sexy.

They have a national TCR series too? GT4's maybe?

I dunno why SuperGT is way more interesting to watch, I guess you do also have the fun of it being multiclass also.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/daniel-abt-suspended-audi-controversy/4796782/

quote:

Although Audi has formally ‘suspended’ Abt over the stunt, Motorsport.com understands he will lose his FE drive.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Do you reckon Audi have someone in the wings they've been itching to give the seat to for ages? Because if not this is incredibly smalltime behaviour.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Someone explain Super Gt to me.

Long distance races? It's own spec of card plus GT3s. And all the Japanese Manufacturers take it super seriously. Is that right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tvyFGZKHl4

There's two classes of cars on track at any time during the race, and races range from 500 mile endurance rounds to 2 hour 30 minute sprint rounds, but all require two drivers at minimum.

The GT-500 cars are now aligned with DTM, so they're four-cylinder turbocharged engines boosted to the heavens in front-engined rear-drive packages. Three major Japanese companies support 4-6 cars each in the class - Toyota, Honda and Nissan. The Supra returns for 2020, and the Honda NSX is now front-engined. Thanks, DTM!

The GT-300 class is comprised of three different types of cars as the second-tier class. First are GT3 cars, same as Blancpain/IMSA GTD / etc. Audi, Nissan, Honda, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Lexus, and others show up here. The second kind of cars are called JAF GT, meaning they're homologated by the local auto federation and are basically factory GT300 teams. The two that have been running for a long period are the Subaru BR-Z and the mid-engined hybrid Toyota Prius. You read that correctly. The last are called the Mother chassis cars, and that's varying bodywork setups hung off of a common DOME chassis and Nissan V8 -- Toyota 86, Toyota Supra, Lotus Evora all run with this package but are the same underneath.

Two things to remember about the Super GT series are that the funding for the factory teams is coming from the R&D side, and not marketing, and that we still have an active-rear end tire war. Take a look at the Honda GT500 teams:

• ARTA Autobacs #8 - Bridgestone
  • Motul Mugen #16 - Yokohama
  • Keihin #17 - Bridgestone
  • Modulo Nakajima #64 - Dunlop
  • Raybrig Kunimitsu #100 - Bridgestone

...so it's not like all of the Toyotas are on one brand, Honda another, and Nissan a third. All three have at least two tire brands. Same goes for the GT300 teams -- there is even one team running the Nissan GT-R GT3 on different brands inside its two-car team!

As well, because it's engineering money -- which is worried about development of the cars and training of staff once they go back to other non-racing departments, not so much "the show" -- it's still racing without DRS, or competition yellows, or other things to make it "a good show." There's weight penalties based on points, but that's about it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
*watches the driver and car lineups one time* found my favorite team

https://youtu.be/XKHO9q4IbM0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nybble posted:

fans of Formula 1 from the 1990s will recognize their team director!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

:smuggo:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK I will be very happy if this is what finally gets Abt to stop making GBS threads up the FE grid.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
https://www.motorsport.com/gaming/news/abt-audi-split-explanation-apology/4796976/

JUST A PRANK, BRO!

(this makes it worse somehow)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

the gently caress?

*edit* Audi should save us all a lot of trouble and replace him with Ferruci

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lmao he's getting fired because he didn't want to play Cruis'n USA with the boys anymore

idgaf about Abt, but seriously, gently caress esports

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Reynold posted:

lmao he's getting fired because he didn't want to play Cruis'n USA with the boys anymore

If you have the opportunity to play Cruis'n USA with the boys and you decline, you deserve whatever punishment you get.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Reynold posted:

it's the same reason as why the IndyCar eSports finale was such a cluster: you can't have your cake and eat it as well. If you're going to be a Serious Competition and use a Serious Sim and get all of your regular drivers to Take It Seriously, you can't then allow for nonsense like bad driving (in IndyCar's case) or swapping out for a ringer (like Formula E). If you're running for shits and giggles and using Not A Simulator, you can have guest athletes show up and bad driving and not worry about 'ruining' anything (see Formula 1 and their races on F1 2019).

Formula E seems like they've fallen on the Take It Seriously side of things, so no, can't have somebody pull out those defenses about their behavior.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
There is no cake to be eaten, only a wall of FE cars tumbling over each other down the street like the zombies in World War Z.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Nybble posted:

Knew which one without clicking

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

FE is already esports in real life with their boost pads and poo poo, what does it matter

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Vando posted:

Do you reckon Audi have someone in the wings they've been itching to give the seat to for ages? Because if not this is incredibly smalltime behaviour.

The way I look at it is.

He sent someone else in disguise to a commercial, promotional, contractually obligated event and lied about it.

That's getting you fired from any job in any industry.

But yeah, he's shithoused up in that team for half a decade because he's the bosses' son. I imagine Audi finally saw a chance to say "It's him or us" and Abt don't have a business without Audi.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
He didn't exactly lie about it though did he, and they also organised it all on stream beforehand with viewers watching, apparently as a funny joke.

Really I think Formula E brought this on themselves by letting the drivers dick around and make it appear an unserious event in the first place, you can't have it both ways.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Nybble posted:

Man, I should watch some SuperGT

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
whats the easiest way to watch supercross live? they're back at it tomorrow night and while I usually watch the recaps I'd like to watch live if I can, even if I have to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

whats the easiest way to watch supercross live? they're back at it tomorrow night and while I usually watch the recaps I'd like to watch live if I can, even if I have to pay for it.

Live on NBCSN, although the first race back will be on network NBC. You should be able to find illegal Completely Legitimate and Legal Gray Market streams somewhere out there. Or you could pay for the official streaming at NBC Sports Gold. Price is steep at $60 for the remaining 7 races plus the Monster Energy Cup, but you get all the race replays and live practice/qualifying.

I have YouTube TV at $50 a month which of course includes just about all the other TV networks with sports and racing, with unlimited DVR. You may want to try getting a free trial there or at the other TV streaming sites and sneak in a few freebies if you haven't done that yet.