Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

SlowBloke posted:

i think a bit of virtual lemans immersion is lost by not mandating some sort of race attire to everybody. You get the young edgelords eracers with full suit and alpinestars gloves while real drivers might as well race with a pipe and slippers, dressing up like a retired dad(case in point Alonso and Fisichella).

A lot more immersion was lost by the commentators repeating 'oh god it looks so real' every 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 17 days!)

wanna see the wrc using beam ng, then I'll be down for esports

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Peanut President posted:

wanna see the wrc using beam ng, then I'll be down for esports

drat now to spend my evening watch beam ng videos

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

uXs posted:

A lot more immersion was lost by the commentators repeating 'oh god it looks so real' every 5 seconds.

Yep, the only thing they said more often than that was "All female crew".

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

uXs posted:

I hope they do this in September

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

I hope they do this in September

If they don't I'll be really upset with them via twitter.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Hi y'all, just another reminder to watch supercross. The final race of the season is Saturday (I think) and it should be a good one. The two divisions of the 250 class (east and west coast) are doing a showdown, and both have a tight battle for first. Watching the four in title contention for two different titles battle should be really really good racing, and the last couple of tracks have had great layouts.

450s is a little less exciting as first is all but confirmed to be Eli Tomach, but last year's overall winner Cooper Web and Ken Roczen are fighting for second and it should be a good time. Roczen was in the fight for first until some health issues set him back but he won the race last weekend and might still be able to get 2nd back from Webb.

Honestly just watch it, its killer racing and very approachable as a viewer.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Hi y'all, just another reminder to watch supercross. The final race of the season is Saturday (I think) and it should be a good one.

Last race is on Sunday.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

The two divisions of the 250 class (east and west coast) are doing a showdown, and both have a tight battle for first. Watching the four in title contention for two different titles battle should be really really good racing, and the last couple of tracks have had great layouts.

The 250s are so great because there are only 7 or 8 races in their season, so the top 2 or 3 riders really have to get after each other. It's almost a guarantee that a 250 race will have a hard pass or even a takeout for the lead. They have to go after it and take big risks, and that results in a lot of drama in a short period of time.

The last race "points gimmick," for the 250s, which really isn't one, is the showdown, where the East and West divisions race together during the same main event. Points are paid by finishing position as normal, even if people in the other division finish ahead of a rider. The difference in the championship is 7 in the West and 6 in the East, which is the difference between 1st and 4th; the top 4 finishing E/W/W/E or vice versa is a completely realistic scenario, and that would be enough to flip the championship!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

450s is a little less exciting as first is all but confirmed to be Eli Tomac, but last year's overall winner Cooper Webb and Ken Roczen are fighting for second and it should be a good time. Roczen was in the fight for first until some health issues set him back but he won the race last weekend and might still be able to get 2nd back from Webb.

Tomac is going to win it on Sunday, he's too far ahead. But he could have won it on Wednesday had he won the race! He got a terrible start and was dead last into the first corner. As Webb and Roczen were in 2nd and 3rd trying to come forward to take the lead, Tomac was charging through the field. He got up to 4th, got by Roczen, then got up to 2nd after a mistake by the leader that allowed Webb to take the lead. Webb couldn't pull away, but Tomac couldn't close up.

Even with the championship all but locked up, any one race has enough action and storylines playing out that you can't help but be engaged. For example, last Sunday we learned that Roczen was diagnosed with shingles, explaining his late-race fades. Halfway through that race we were waiting for him to fade again, like he had in the last three races…nope! He kept his lead and won. With shingles.

It's good poo poo.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Honestly just watch it, its killer racing and very approachable as a viewer.

watch

more

supercross

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think somebody in here mentioned Juju Noda?

https://twitter.com/supergtworld/status/1274342695398445056

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Don't get overexcited just yet, this is a series that had 3 full time entries last year.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao just finished watching the Duke Video 2016 Le Mans Highlights. Never gets old.

For those with archives:

George Zimmer posted:

Something about low pressure in the #5?

The fun starts there.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 24, 2020

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Be advised that IMSA just shuffled around the Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, and Lime Rock dates

And obviously since the forums are likely done at this point I wanted to say that I will miss shitposting and sometimes realposting with nearly each and every one of you fellow car nerds who feels themselves too good for NASCAR but not good enough for Formula 1. It’s been a pleasure to talk about this silly sport with all of you

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Reminder that Supercars Australia race tomorrow for the first time since everything went to hell.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
NLS (formerly VLN) starts up tomorrow too

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Custard Undies posted:

Reminder that Supercars Australia race tomorrow for the first time since everything went to hell.

Anyway to stream this?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bloopsy posted:

Anyway to stream this?

They have a streaming service for people outside Australia. A$60 for the whole season.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If you're in the US it's also on Motor Trend On Demand if you have a subscription to that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Not Misc Racing but probably of interest to goons in here still, apparently Bernie Ecclestone has continued to be old, and white, and has stuck his foot in poo poo again.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/motorsport/bernie-ecclestone-formula-one-motorsport-lewis-hamilton-spt-intl/index.html

Not really a surprise considering he said Adolf Hitler was a man who "got things done", and that women should dress in white like all other domestic appliances.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 26, 2020

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I hope he dies very soon

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

NLS (formerly VLN) starts up tomorrow too

I don't know what VLN is either.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basticle posted:

I don't know what VLN is either.

Sports car series for people who only want to race at the Nordschleife.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

njsykora posted:

Sports car series for people who only want to race at the Nordschleife.

you have my attention

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
140 cars on the entry this weekend, everything from nearly stock shitboxes to gt3 cars

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

you have my attention

VLN owns

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

:agreed:

I just wish they started a little later in the day, 5:15am EDT wake up for me is hard

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

:agreed:

I just wish they started a little later in the day, 5:15am EDT wake up for me is hard

"sleep is sssssssssssssss fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbr nzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" i slur at 3 am during the n24 after having been up all day watching it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

I hope he dies very soon

you and his wife both

Basticle posted:

you have my attention

have you heard about the Nurburgring 24 Hours? It's the series of shorter races throughout the year that are also hosted on the Nordschleife.

Radio Le Mans has the video streaming along with English commentary for the race, which is in about 4 hours from this post (countdown timer on the website).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

you and his wife both

have you heard about the Nurburgring 24 Hours? It's the series of shorter races throughout the year that are also hosted on the Nordschleife.

Radio Le Mans has the video streaming along with English commentary for the race, which is in about 4 hours from this post (countdown timer on the website).

Update race coverage to start in about 10 minutes from this post.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Interesting socially distant pit setup they have going on

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

15 minutes of Super GT asmr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmucoA1oF70

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

so much racing this weekend

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Ooh, please share the ICS link for this

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can Porsche GT3 get beaten by Porsche Cup car double header.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Super GT and ELMS also return next weekend if memory serves, plus IMSA at Sebring as well.

Racing is back :getin:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Oh cool ELMS is ba--

quote:

Hollywood star Michael Fassbender will contest this year's European Le Mans Series at the wheel of a Porsche GTE car as part of a bid to fulfil his ambition to race at the Le Mans 24 Hours.

:chloe:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Wow does the series not have any regulations about how many Hollywood super-hunks one team can have? Seems ripe for exploitation imo. Shouldn’t be allowed

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

Wow does the series not have any regulations about how many Hollywood super-hunks one team can have? Seems ripe for exploitation imo. Shouldn’t be allowed

Dempsey hasn't driven in like three or four years. He did a full year of WEC but has stayed on as a 'co-owner' but not driver.

Fassbender has gone from not really knowing or caring much about cars to doing Ferrari one-makes and apparently now ELMS, huh.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

Oh cool ELMS is ba--

:chloe:

The sanctity of racing has been fouled!!!!!!

Yeah as if its not full of rich people and a history of actors going racing. Paul Newman, Tom Cruise, Patrick Dempsey, etc.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

How about Dick Smothers of the Smothers Brothers variety show running in F5000 in a Lotus 70... 600hp 5l V8s with bias ply tires, barely any aero, and a frame made of aluminum foil:

My dad was the crew chief on the cars as a youngen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/racecastwx/status/1283047260755034117