Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This end is ending up pretty epic. Despite it having such a large stoppage the racing has been there regardless and it's really nice to see a beemer in the lead rather than an audi as normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How did it go from Audi 1 2 3 to BMW win?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Congrats to Scotty McLaughlan on his third straight Australian Supercars title

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Clicked a random race video on YouTube and went on a little adventure. Let's visit the DTM in the early 90s at (what was left of) the historic AVUS circuit!

AVUS was the famous German test track turned Grand Prix circuit that was literally two tight hairpins connected by two long straights. Through the years, drivers were killed, the original banking was knocked down, the straights were made shorter and shorter, and our old friend a temporary chicane was added. Oh, and the stretch of road was a freeway when it wasn't a race track.

An onboard lap of the "modern" configuration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmQiMzE5NNE

A flip at the finish line. He was on the podium despite this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gzYrKYAKpU

A big fireball of an accident!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w55XJ0LWSx0

And the two races from 1995. The '95 DTM season had the likes of Dario Franchitti, Jan Magnussen, JJ Lehto, Bernd Maylander, and Giancarlo Fisichella, with a few other recognizable international names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Elw6lde2YA&t=477s

The second race had to be abandoned due to a massive pileup during a restart. The event that caused the race stoppage was weird in its own right. A car lost its hood, but then a car further back seemed to spontaneously combust. Weird. (Skip to 38:00 to see that, then the fateful restart some minutes later.)

If you look at the Google Maps satellite, you can easily see the north loop; go down the freeway a bit and you'll see the remnants of the old south loop still cut into the forest. Neat!

RIP AVUS, what a dumb track you were!

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 28, 2020

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They might also have raced the Ring that year or was that the year before?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

algebra testes posted:

They might also have raced the Ring that year or was that the year before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ve3Sa5v19c

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Outdoor MX season continues to be really good with consistent tight racing and contested championships, if you aren't watching you're missing out.

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone tell me, blue flags in like other series...

So in Grand Prix racing the idea that you held up the leaders.. you stuck your rear end in someones face when you're a lap behind.. is just like the worst thing you could do. Who the gently caress do you think you are? These are the leaders, this is the race everyone is paying their tickets to see and you're.. getting in the way? I mean if youre really as fast then that's different but because in GP racing the people at the back aren't as fast as the people in the front.. that's never happening so just move over, you idiot.

I think Ocon taking out Max from the lead at Interlagos was a good example of what the F1 community thinks of this behaviour. He wasn't popular.

BUT, I'm starting to learn this idea does NOT apply across the world and across series! Play some iRacing and you'll come up against a lot of people who no doubt watch stuff other than F1 and to them, they seem totally entitled to race with you despite being slow as poo poo and actually not racing with you at all.

What is the go in like GT3? How about LeMans? In the US, if I come to like.. a IMSA event in America.. what would I be expecting?

I just think its interesting, we're all racing and we all know what an apex is and how to drop the clutch but this pretty important part of what happens on the track when poo poo gets fucky, doesn't seem as clearly defined as it should be..

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's a long story, but in the Pro series in the US, generally you are allowed (and often expected) to fight to stay on the lead lap. This can even mean passing the leader back to try to get back on the lead lap. Once you have faded beyond that though, most series do have enforced blue flag rules. Being multiple laps down and out of contention and hassling the leaders is a no-no everywhere.

As for "why", a lot of it is because US series use full course cautions way WAY more than euro series, and catching a bad full course can obliterate your pit stop strategy especially on smaller circuits. Smaller circuits like ovals and street circuits, things that the US also tends to run more of than euro series. Tracks that also need full course yellows more than Tilkedromes. And there tends to be more series that actually do pit stops in the US, too, so pit stop strategy is a big deal.

Sportscars, especially in the pro-am and full am series, tend to look less favorably on people hassling the leaders though as a general statement. But the full pro tiers like DPi and GTE in IMSA will fight tooth and nail.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6wsjzmIaFY

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vomitorium posted:

What is the go in like GT3? How about LeMans? In the US, if I come to like.. a IMSA event in America.. what would I be expecting?

I just think its interesting, we're all racing and we all know what an apex is and how to drop the clutch but this pretty important part of what happens on the track when poo poo gets fucky, doesn't seem as clearly defined as it should be..

and to build on what Cygni said: it kind of depends on how the series is run -- how much nonsense the race direction will allow, basically -- and also if it's a real multi-class race or not. Because the blue flag may come to let IMSA GTD drivers know the prototype leaders are right behind them, where you definitely need to get out of the way, which is different than their class leader, who's in a car of similar performance. That's going to be different from the 'lucky dog' rules NASCAR has/had, which encourages fighting the leaders to stay on the lead lap or to try and get a lap back.

It also differs if the race is a 50-minute sprint or a 24-hour marathon. Going a lap down on a class leader is very different in those two scenarios.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It's also going to be very different based on the track, as well. Going a lap down at Lime Rock is you're a mile and a half (and around a minute) back. A lap down at Road America is more like 4 miles (and 2-3 minutes) back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA GT only race at the Charlotte roval (lol) this weekend... at night??

https://twitter.com/imsa/status/1314707554069606400?s=21

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

IMSA GT only race at the Charlotte roval (lol) this weekend... at night??

https://twitter.com/imsa/status/1314707554069606400?s=21

And in the rain. 50% chance of rain tomorrow night and will be damp to begin with from raining all day.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

And in the rain. 50% chance of rain tomorrow night and will be damp to begin with from raining all day.

Rain on the roval at night is peak American sports car madness.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

harperdc posted:

Rain on the roval at night

Nick Tandy is now too erect to buckle his harness

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Bathurst 1000 this weekend. I forgot Supercars even existed.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

spaceblancmange posted:

Bathurst 1000 this weekend. I forgot Supercars even existed.

Race is starting 30 mins earlier due to expected severe weather. So 11am local time.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It's always so hard to find ways to watch supercars which sucks because it's got some good personalities and had some fun racing in the past

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Petit Le Mans weekend too I see, not seen any IMSA since Daytona 24, what are the best races to go back and watch?

Custard Undies posted:

Race is starting 30 mins earlier due to expected severe weather. So 11am local time.

lol at trying to be so exact with the timing 3 days out

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

Petit Le Mans weekend too I see, not seen any IMSA since Daytona 24, what are the best races to go back and watch?

lol at trying to be so exact with the timing 3 days out

It's a long race so it's as much to buy extra time as to avoid specific clouds three days from now, I'd imagine.

I haven't paid too close attention to IMSA this year to be honest, it seems like GTD is the usual slap-fight, GTE has been a Corvette fest, and the DPi title is between the #10, #31, #7 and #55. Penske's had a winning stream overall and in DPi.

Don't forget, the IMSA series still has Monterey after PLM and also the Sebring 12 Hour is in November this year.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Goodwood speedweek as well, if you like historics. Looks like they have the usual half the BTCC field and a handful of WEC guys. Busy weekend really.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Custard Undies posted:

expected severe weather.

Every. Year.

Then not even a drop.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Last year was funny with everyone trying to stretch out the last 30 minutes for wets. Porsche came in super late IIRC. And then 20 minutes into the ceremony the skies opened up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hell yeah Bathurst weekend

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Petit le mans is about to start

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Happy Bathurst 1000 Day :toot:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

You Am I posted:

Happy Bathurst 1000 Day :toot:

:hmmyes:

Hell yeah OP!

Let's hope it has a massive downpour of rain sometime during the race.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Doesn't seem likely. Maybe a shower at best which would be welcome.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol Whingcup

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And just like every Bathurst whincup has binned it. You could almost set your watch to it

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Took the commentators long enough to realise Whincup was obviously well clear and binned it all by himself.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
"sprinkles at the top of the hill"
:allears:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

And just like every Bathurst whincup has binned it. You could almost set your watch to it

I'm still laughing about it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

How do you bin it on the pit straight? Well, now I have been given a lesson

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Cold tyres and some sprinkles on the restart could be fun.

Trying to follow Petit as well, good battle for the lead with about 30 minutes to go

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Rain!

Need more!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

HAHAHAH PETITE

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Holy poo poo Waters is just nipping at Van Gisbergen every corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
last minute sprint race to finish bathurst