Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
It’s only weird if it’s somehow not delivered by John Cleese in a hauberk from atop a castle wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Ollie Jarvis on the pole for the Rolex 24 again. It’s unreal how good he is. He’s only gotten better since his Audi LMP1 days

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Anyone have any burning questions for Acura/Penske/MSR? I can ask them tomorrow.
I would genuinely like to know if ATP did anything to address rear tire wear on the ARX05 in the offseason. But I’m not sure I trust them to give an honest answer to anything performance-related at this point

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I don’t have any idea how any of this will work and it sounds like it has an enormous number of potential points of failure and requires the ACO to be honest and forthright which we all know is impossible but boy, am I hype right now

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

That was such a dumb move by Tincknell

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

The Cadillacs’ pace plus stint length advantage should make them extremely hard to beat come the end of this race but anything can happen

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

GJ Wayne Taylor. Don’t know where the pace came from at the end but it was a well earned win. Grats also to Mazda for getting both cars to finish at last even if they weren’t able to contend at the end

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Can’t wait until 2021 when the Valkyrie Hypercar fails to materialize due to Aston being in shambles and we’re again watching Toyota elaborately masturbate themselves to an abnegating non-climax for 6-24 hours at a time

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Force everyone to race caged Lotus Elises but all the drivers have to weigh at least 300 pounds and bring back the Le Mans start and require mandatory driver changes every pit stop

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Unironically this. Prototypes are neat, and people ooh and aah, but GT cars are the real show.

My wife has never given a poo poo about racing, but will happily sit and watch GT cars for 12 hours while not giving a single gently caress about protos other than a "that sounds like rear end" when a Toyota went by.

Wheel banging is better than lapping.

Counterpoint: my girlfriend literally fell asleep on the Esses deck at Watkins Glen during the CTSCC race in 2018. Caymans and Mustang GT4s going by and she was out cold with no earplugs in. On the other hand, she will diligently stay awake and attentive during Monsters Inside Me marathons and rooting for the Mazda DPi is a symptom of me having terminal brain worms so she finds watching that little red car go around in circles just terribly interesting

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Child me would be incredibly disappointed that adult me does not give the slightest poo poo about an 800 horsepower exotic, but here we are

Seriously I’d rather have a 991.2 GT3 Touring than any supercar on the market. Make it forest green please

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Dagys says Rebellion’s done with racing. Well that fuckin’ sucks

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Who wants to go in with me in buying Juncos’ old Cadillac DPi? In seeking to pay homage to Cadillac’s storied history I was going to give it a Landau top, opera windows and the diesel engine from a Chevy Equinox

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Hypercar was an awful idea to begin with. LMP1 But Worse And Cheaper, Somehow was never really a viable plan and it never particularly appealed to anyone except Toyota since they were already 2/3rds there. The FIA should have acknowledged that from the beginning but their arrogance and nativism wouldn’t let them concede the obvious truth of it

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Prototypes are not dying. LMDh will be popular and the racing will be good even if it’s not as fast or extravagant as LMP1H was. There’s no money in manufacturer budgets for anything else right now and they’re going to flock to whatever gets them a rolling advertisement for cheap. Please try to enjoy it before ICE car racing as a whole becomes as antiquated and esoteric as horse racing and we all become as the pitiable, solitary graybeards still watching colts snap their femurs at dilapidated dirt tracks

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Well this blows. What the gently caress am I going to do with myself with no racing. I’m sure as hell not getting a job. I wonder if I could use these fifty thousand rolls of toilet paper as Armco barriers and construct my own track

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Xisticide posted:

Race the different brands against each other by rolling them downhill.

Sorry I had Hermann Tilke design my TP GP and it’s all uphill from the start/finish line to corner 1. And Seb Vettel just crashed

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

The cars will be running as Mazda Motorsports, not Mazda Team Multimatic or anything. Pretty typical of Multimatic at this point, they don't advertise much.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Basticle posted:

Wait, what do you mean the director of IMSA started doing personnel changes in Joest?

John Doonan was in charge of Mazda Motorsports before he got the job of IMSA President after last season ended

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

IMSA just canceled Belle Isle which is pretty much expected. The lack of racing or automotive news in general right now is killing me. God help me I’m starting to get into horology which is arguably an even more stupid, expensive, and pointless hobby than cars

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

net work error posted:

I'm not gonna read em but at least they exist.
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1258379022284795904

Like, on the face of it the fairly high minimum weight and lower horsepower target should be disappointing, but at this point I'd just be happy for sportscar racing and several of the interested automakers to still exist in 2021

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

That was also the only one with that sort of hands-off customer relationship, the sort of problems a proper setup would avoid, even with privateers. Engine problems came in for the Nissan because of changes made to the GT3 engine that weren’t aligned with the prototype team, which, is that bad planning or a problem engine?

Also the NSX GT3 engine is derived from Honda’s long-running prototype engine, which also powers the Acura DPi.

One could argue that the HPD 3.5TT is not ideal for its application in the ARX-05, because its mass seems to contribute to a lot of wear on the rear tires. It's been an issue since day 1 with the car. It's not an insurmountable handicap, especially when you have honest to god crackheads, that is, people smoking crack cocaine and for sure not the good poo poo, in charge of BoP for a season, but it's something worth noting

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Porsche pulled out of GTLM in WTSC from next year.

Bummer.

Edit: it would seem insane not to run a factory supported team at Daytona but what do I know.

They have to be getting ready to do LMDh, there's no way they're just *not* going to race at a high level in North America.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

They should just have the drivers play Mario Kart. I’m not even kidding. Virtual races are barely tolerable without danger and actual stakes. At least MK8 would lead to fully grown adults screaming at each other in Portuguese about lightning bolts and only getting bananas in item boxes. I would watch just to see whether Pipo Derani might actually kill a man over a blue shell

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I’m not saying it needs to be dangerous or people need to risk death, but the reality of racing is a constant battle with high stakes. Disregarding entirely the risk of bodily harm, wrecking a race car costs your team a fortune, may make tons of extra work for your mechanics that will affect your ability to use that time for more testing and setup, or possibly put you at risk of not being able to compete at all for one or more future races until you rebuild or replace the wrecked car. Even a small collision or off track excursion might have consequences; maybe your pit crew heroically patches it up and you come back, or maybe you doom your whole effort. Virtual racing doesn’t have any of that. The worst thing that can happen when something goes wrong is that you lose the race. That sucks sure, especially for a competitive racer, but it’s nothing like what can happen in real life. It robs the whole experience of a lot of gravity and the drivers treat it as such.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Vando posted:

fuckin lmao have you never seen a BTCC race? just say you don't like simracing, you don't have to make up some weird justification why it's Objectively Bad
poo poo and here I just thought I was giving my opinion. I apologize to you and the other members of the jury. Now I’m on to my next case, Koepka vs. The International Wii Golf Competition Committee

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I once used the same loophole to announce my prowess at 24-hour tantric sex

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Be advised that IMSA just shuffled around the Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, and Lime Rock dates

And obviously since the forums are likely done at this point I wanted to say that I will miss shitposting and sometimes realposting with nearly each and every one of you fellow car nerds who feels themselves too good for NASCAR but not good enough for Formula 1. It’s been a pleasure to talk about this silly sport with all of you

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Wow does the series not have any regulations about how many Hollywood super-hunks one team can have? Seems ripe for exploitation imo. Shouldn’t be allowed

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Penske/Acura split is official FYI. Wonder what the Mazda/Multimatic contract looks like. Seems like the immediate future of DPi is in supporting a handful of smaller teams instead of one factory effort, like Cadillac’s been doing, which is probably better for the overall health and vibrancy of the series right now

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

The announcement is that Peugeot is pulling out of hypercar and lmdh to save everyone else a year of wondering

Pfff who needs Peugeot when you have the shambling, reanimated corpse of Spyker to look forward to

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Cannot wait for a whole new generation of extremely underqualified doctors and advertising executives to take the track and accidentally assassinate the professionals like blind Han Solo sending Boba Fett rocketing into the maw of the Sarlacc

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

I think LMH is RWD only, and LMDH is going to be too.

But yeah on paper even the dumb loving Nissan was supposed to be AWD with the hybrid drive going to the rear. Audi and Porsche were both AWD.

The LMP1 Hybrid era is going to make for a fascinating coffee table book at some stage.

I really hope someone does a book like that laying out in detail the evolution and engineering differences between the LMP1Hs. Especially around 2014 when you had the Toyotas running a supercapacitor system, the Audis using a flywheel, and the Porsches equipped with cutting edge batteries. Three completely different hybrid designs that all ran fairly closely on the track. It’s even more amazing in retrospect

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I’ve decided I’m rooting for Bykolles this year. I’m fully embracing this hell world we live in. Hail Satan

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

2020 is so hosed up that it managed to make Porsche at Le Mans look like Ferrari F1

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

WTR has been rumored for a while. Sucks though since it’s an overall loss to the DPi class car count next year

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

Rain on the roval at night

Nick Tandy is now too erect to buckle his harness

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Very retro Petit. Pipo being overly aggressive and crashing into people, Porsche winning in GTLM, Mazda’s hopes and spirit being crushed... good antidote to 2020

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Ah yes the answer to the question everyone’s asking: how can we combine the gimmicks of kart racing videogames, the brutal expense of actual racing, and the worst automotive segment ever prolapsed onto the public into a single series so we can scam some overfunded, mysterious electric startups with names like Ampr and ElekDrive into throwing us sponsorship money until their venture capital runs out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Broke: racing a lithe sports car through a twisting ribbon of asphalt carved into the green countryside

Woke: racing an electric version of your mom’s car through some Armco barriers set up in the State Farm Show Complex