Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Weird that the ACO would call a press conference to say IMSA are smelly Americans and they'd never dream of letting their Yankee prototypes into Le Mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I mean it's weird that they'd say it to IMSA's face.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's just the canonical prononciation of Daytona in the song. So it's Daytonah.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm glad I accidentally took my first week off of the year on Bathurst week.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Porsche lost over half a second in the final sector though, so it's going to be really interesting to see if it has any kind of race pace or is just going to be destroyed on the straights.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Aussie Supercars subscription service Superview is open for the 2020 season, it's about $45/£35 for the whole season and a really good deal if you're interested in the series from outside Oceania.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Terrible news.
https://twitter.com/SnettertonMSV/status/1226788420888006656

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The WEC is fun from outside but I rarely have any desire to watch WEC races outside Le Mans. It's not like there's a shortage of endurance racing I can watch without having to pay for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Only on their app though, not just using Youtube like everyone else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Race is this year's name for Nismo TV/Let's Go Racing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

They have like, 5 licenced tracks

All of which are better than Nurburgring GP, rF2 has Zandvoort for gently caress sake. Really I was more shocked that they'd use the crusty old Formula ISI car which hasn't been updated since around 2014 and sucked then as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's true, it sucks but at least it isn't as broken as the old F2 car in the game.

In the future people will run studies on how the hell rFactor 2 continued to exist past 2016.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Weird, they never seemed like the kind of event to be concerned about safety.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The UK government did actually take foot and mouth seriously though, which they're not doing here. Though they have said there won't be medical support available to events, which was probably the sign to the TT that they had to pull the plug.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It has been a hell of a redemption story for Team Momo, it has also brought out the realisation that the JMR glory seekers all get behind the O'rangers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

And promptly scheduled eraces on the same day as the ones already set up by people involved in the sport that have massive fan engagement.

gently caress imsa

For reference, I believe F1 has worked with organisers of the various erace stuff outside their own official ones to make sure they're not overlapping so their guys can be in as many of them as possible. When you're being more controlling than Formula 1 you might have a problem.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I approve of the further sphericalisation of motorsport.
https://twitter.com/EnvisionVirgin/status/1251056934133866497

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

When it's a 6 hour race I'd rather see the bucket and spaceship battling than watch the spaceship on a sunday drive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

algebra testes posted:

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/149455/virtual-le-mans-24-hours-announced

I don't know what platform they are using but it seems to be run by the guys that make NASCAR Heat(?). I'm a bit unclear on what is going on.

They're using rFactor 2, it's a pretty outdated game that was top of the line consumer simulation fare in 2013 but has been mostly caught up to by other sim racing games since. It was made by ISI who did make the original Nascar Heat games I think, but is now a team called Studio 397 because ISI visibly stopped giving a poo poo about rF2 in favour of rFactor Pro which actually makes them money.

It's a funny move for them since the official Le Mans Series eSports league uses Forza Motorsport 7.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

track day bro! posted:

I thought you had to be on camera or we, did he just pretend to drive sitting at his sim rig while someone else raced for him?

You can be on camera, look like you're driving and have someone else actually connected to your PC on a second rig. I also love this bit from The Race's story on it.

quote:

Suspicions were initially raised that Abt may have invited someone else to race under his name after he qualified second and led the race for a period.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

the paradigm shift posted:

Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler

Yeah he has about as much chance of being fired for this as Lance Stroll does of losing his F1 seat ever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I'm going to say being suspended from a team that wasn't racing isn't much of a punishment, especially given he was suspended from the virtual series anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK I will be very happy if this is what finally gets Abt to stop making GBS threads up the FE grid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Would like to mention that iRacing is now doing the prestigious Virtual Multiclass Racing In The French Countryside on June 20th.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

net work error posted:

iRacing has done 24 hour races before so it should turn out ok although I'm not sure if it was actually mixed class on track or just run at the same time

Multi-class often, they've been doing Daytona 24h for years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basticle posted:

I've never even heard of it so

It's basically a series for the rich guys who can't afford a Blancpain spot. They only usually get attention early in the year because I think the 24h of Dubai runs right between the Rolex 24 and Bathurst 12h so everyone's in an enduro mood.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

24 Hours of Lemons does the same thing I think, though in their case I remember them saying once any time they do an unbroken 24h race they get way fewer entries because the Saturday night pit party is one of the reasons people do Lemons.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So how long did it take for rFactor 2 to poo poo the bed this time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I appreciate this hopefully being the final nail in rF2's coffin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

Anyway to stream this?

They have a streaming service for people outside Australia. A$60 for the whole season.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basticle posted:

I don't know what VLN is either.

Sports car series for people who only want to race at the Nordschleife.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I mean isn't The Race just what used to be Nismo TV? I remember they were really upset at losing Super GT to Motorsport after the Nismo deal ended.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's not like there's much room for interesting ideas when it comes to meeting FIA grade 1 standards and also something F1 can kind of race on, gotta have a long fast corner to show off how good the aero is and at least 2 long rear end straights for DRS.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Countries spending shitloads on new tracks with the intent of getting an F1 race and then never getting that race is endlessly funny. Like Moscow Raceway was built as an F1 track with FIA consulting but the only way to make the track workable financially was to also get MotoGP and the FIM basically said "nah". Then we got Sochi and the biggest series Moscow's ever hosted is DTM.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

orange juche posted:

TW: This is a PDF file so yeah download it if you want, or not, but it's the requirements* for track certification, but as before, money solves many issues with your track not meeting spec.

The prime example of this is Monaco, that absolutely doesn't meet modern F1 safety requirements or spectator and pitlane standards, but it's Monaco so they just shove a pile of cash at the FIA and also know full well all the 'traditional' fans who enjoy watching poo poo races at that godforsaken track would lose their poo poo if they ever hinted at dropping it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

performance balancing is garbage

I too enjoy F1.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I love the current trend of flinging poo poo at the wall to try and come up with a new racing series while half the auto industry is pulling out of motorsport.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Custard Undies posted:

I haven't checked. But is it being streamed on YouTube?

Also in the supercars news DJR have confirmed they will be resuming control of Penske for next year.

Yes it is, on the GT World channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9_Z9GllBKM

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As much as I wanted Roborace to succeed, watching them completely fail to get the tech actually working has been quite funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They're supposed to have those cool looking custom cars but apparently they're still stuck running that modified prototype they've been doing press events with for the last 2 years.