Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Good work Mazda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Aston pulled out of DTM. The grid has 14 cars now.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Mazda did pretty well.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Nice lol.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

eliminate all classes at Le Mans and make it a production car race

Maybe we will get a 1994 style situation.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
‘94 LeMans was badass because you had reworked ancient Group C cars, whatever prototype Toyota had lying around from the JSPC days, IMSA GTO entries and BPR cars running alongside one another.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Calderon is going to Super Formula this year too, and I think she will struggle very badly.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Lol.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I wonder how long this will last.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
There is a Kato Shrine at Suzuka.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Super Formula testing. Toyota and Hirakawa on top for day one, Fukuzumi and Honda for day two. The season also sees the return of 3 car teams due to Team LeMans dropping out of the series.

Calderon also is competing with Drago Corse Honda. She’s been way off the pace - hopefully she fairs better than Tristan Charpentier.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lmao that owns

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
While I agree and I think it’s funny Abt is sort of a jackass and binman TBH.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also, Audi is gone from DTM and the series is perilously close to collapse. Honda must be fuming at re-engineering the NSX to accept a front engine layout for easier adaptation to DTM regs.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
A GT-R won for the first time in ages in Super GT.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Wild race yeah. Dunlop needs another GT500 car aside from the Nakajima NSX.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the paradigm shift posted:

I finally tune into super gt for once this year since it was live when I clicked on YouTube and the feed cut out after a bit with technical issues lmao

Good race for Motegi. Nice dicing through the field for both classes. The ARTA NSX won.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The official Super GT channel.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Super Formula race was solid. The non-regulars and rookies subbing in for the regular drivers are doing a great job - so much so that some should be worrying about their seats lol.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Calderon is pretty out of depth sadly - just barely hanging on to the rear of the field. She would have finished dead last if not for The Rookie Racing and Second KCMG cars getting drive through penalties.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

Apparently Masahiko Kondo, the former pop idol and long-time driver/team manager for Kondo Racing in Super GT and Super Formula, won’t be attending the final races for those series. Reportedly he’s had an affair and so is going through the Japanese press wringer such befitting a celebrity/Johnny’s that has hosed up.

Kondo is doing pretty well too - sucks.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Good pair of Super Formula races. They are here if you are interested. In recent years it's been my favourite open wheel series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2stTvvllRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGsUz38bb0

Also, Nikita Mazepin, who is featured quite prominently in this video, is an F1 driver as of next year (along with Tsunoda, who won this race, and Schumacher). Should be great. Just great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tje-KNHp1jw

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

I think so - plus, back in the day, it was the Jaguar XJR-14 that I think also got very close to F1 times (if memory serves), but that was because it had mountains of downforce and 1991 Formula 1 was kind of a transition still. And I think there's also apocryphal stories of Group B cars lapping Estoril almost as fast as F1 cars in the 1980s as well.

but yeah, even taking the current F1 engines having to last six or seven weekends, and then de-tuning the excess power down to what the new LMh rules allow, the engines especially are probably too finicky for sportscar duty. And in any case you wouldn't use the same exact electric motor or battery setup, and secretly that electrical engineering is the really expensive and time-intensive part of electric programs.

it is really stupid though that three hypercars have been announced and all are running small-ish twin turbo V6s.

The Group B thing is false, btw. Also 1991 wasn’t really a transition year, it’s just that the new 3.5L Prototypes were essentially enclosed F1 cars.

Frond fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 16, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/Elmomeister/status/1338406194344579072?s=20

Someone wasn't around last time this (just stick F1 engines in your Prototype, bing bong so simple) was tried.

Stupid idea. So stupid that the JSPC still stuck to the old rules, so Toyota had two different Group C prototypes in the 3.5L era.

It only worked for the XJR-14 because the HB was developed with money by Ford for F1 already. The Group C cars were more like enclosed F1 cars by that time anyway. Peugeot did take their Group C engine to F1 with middling results.

Frond fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 16, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
For forced induction, the V6 is best compromise. Reason being is that they can be very short and very narrow for aero considerations while being economical and also making big power. They can also be used as a stressed member easily, unlike Flat and Inline engines which require more work or a cradle.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
SF Finale, Fuji;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqHFq7eaF2k

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Excellent Race. I do feel bad for Hirakawa though - both times he lost out to Yamamoto with him in his sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Didn't Audi race themselves for like 8 years?