Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

I'm not sure how someone breaks out of that. What happens when his parents die?
My uncle is in his 60s and never moved out of his bedroom in my grandparents' house. This was beneficial for my grandmother when she became feeble. Now she's gone, he has the house, and he's depressed. This is in the south where men are expected man up, work hard and trust in Jesus, and "therapy" isn't well established. He hoards, hasn't worked in years (previously a forklifter), doesn't attend church, hardly eats, and reportedly drinks which he didn't used to. He's always been rather naive, as you would expect for someone who hasn't pushed his horizon, but there are other naive people around who made a life. Nobody knows what to do. Shaming has been counterproductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU