Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Astro7x posted:

This is a very valid point I have not realized.

People would show up, get over, do their schtick for about a year, get called up, and then you'd get tired of them on the main roster. Garagano and Ciampa have been around since 2015. It's crazy how much the brand benefits from being forced to put new people on Takeovers and let them show what they can do
It’s also made King of the Indies era PWG good. But now every single takeover match is more of a Davey Richards ROH match. I loved the hell out of Dijakovic/Lee and I really enjoyed Tegan/Kai but by the time I got to the main event I was just suffering from major burnout. NXT has lost the diverse styles they used to have, there’s no “Big signee versus Breeze/Dillinger” matches anymore, they’re just all booked like takeover main events with varying time limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Riddle seems like the kind of guy who's either going to force himself into the main event or rub absolutely everyone the wrong way and end up living in catering until his contract is up.

I was listening to some podcasts and reading tweets about Takeover, and I agree with the sentiment that NXT is starting to have diminishing returns for me. The first couple matches on the main card were absolutely awesome to me and I just kept losing enthusiasm after each match went on. It's a gross hybrid between the PWG idea of telling every match after the opening "Hey, just try and follow this" and the ROH Davey Richards era of "Just no sell everything, big spots, get your poo poo in" and it isn't for me. I re-watched Ciampa/Cole again and it was great in a vacuum on the second viewing but I just don't know if I can get into the marathon that NXT Takeovers have become.

I just don't feel like there's any different styles to split the interest or breather matches anymore. No more comedy, no more Tyler Breeze/Tye Dillinger/Chris Hero type showcase matches. Everything is go 100% from top to bottom and the NXT style has started to funnel down to one style, instead of a couple different indie styles clashing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, doesn't matter how good the wrestling on the show is in a vacuum, it's up against a hot new wrestling show that has everybody buzzing, they're getting strangled to death which is ironic since Vince only put them on Wednesdays because he thought it would strangle AEW in the crib.
Vince is also putting his hands on NXT no matter what anyone else says, because there's so much main-roster lovely ideas that are just oozing down that weren't around before NXT went live.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

When I look back at HHH's career I really do wonder how one draws a line between "Vince stuff" and "HHH stuff." I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I just can't make it out myself.
Triple H still idolizes the classic NWA style stuff and wants to be a father figure to NXT wrestlers. Vince could not give two shits about what anyone wants other than himself. Triple H will still continue the trend of WWE exploiting wrestlers and picking favorites (WWE universe be damned) but he at least pretends to have a better eye for talent. Or he's just going full Vince and trying to kill all competition via signing literally everyone (Extremely likely)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Triple H is a painfully boring wrestler who's peak was propped up by other guys putting him over (Or just going over guys he should have put over). I don't think it's any kind of secret he's incredibly insecure and thinks he needs to carry the company on his back when nobody's asking for it, but his pet project was NXT and for a long time it was fairly old-school, back to basic style wrestling with modern styles.

His preferred style is just slow epics and walk-and-brawls but if you combine that with younger guys he likes that can do a thousand times more than he can, there's promise. Again, I'm not saying WWE is going to hit another boom period under Triple H but his preference for wrestling is much better than Vince's constant, for lack of a better phrase, bi-polar style of start-and-stop, erratic use of talent, and overall horrible storylines along with a total disregard for anything he doesn't personally think is nostalgic. Sheamus just recently said he was pushing hard to have his TOO MANY LIMES theme and without mentioning his name said "Nobody remembers that poo poo"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I guess I've never bought that HHH was booking NXT. Wasn't Dusty the booker during much of its "old school" heyday? Its got minds like Regal, McGuinness, Del Rey, Frankie Sloan. I don't know who is booking NXT every week for the last 5 years but I kinda don't buy that its HHH. That seems like a transparent PR spin he's been doing for awhile. HHH never passes up a chance to call the popular hot name his favorite.
I'm assuming Triple H is the one who put those people in charge there. Dusty also had a lot of bad poo poo while booker though, like telling Colt Cabana he wasn't being jewish enough.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, I'm not saying "Yay Dusty Booker". He's got a long rep for that. I'm just saying if you tell me one of Dusty or HHH is booking "an old school NWA style promotion" I know which way I'm looking as the main influence.
Dusty has been dead for years and NXT is still kind of doing the old school booking.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Cav is probably not wrong. Instead of 11 matches in 7 hours it'll be 7 matches in 11 hours.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

This could have all just been avoided by Rhea making her entrance by power walking down to the ring and just glancing at a broken Bianca's body instead of the narrative trying to be she was "saving" Bianca but had to stop and make her entrance pose. She doesn't have to give a poo poo about what Flair is doing to Bianca, but Charlotte is on her TERF turf.

Instead what we got was a hotdogging Rhea who almost cares about Bianca and isn't mad enough about Flair being in her ring so she just looks like an idiot.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 2, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

NXT: The only Mediocre Thing in This God Foresaken Company

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

They could've had Balor and Cole wrestle this week without a one hour iron man being such a dumb loving waste of time.

NXT is also throwing out gimmick matches like every week, sometimes two in one night where before they went live it was like, 3-4 gimmick matches over the entire year so they're diluting their own product to own the AEW (And still losing the ratings war)

NXT has big "I'm buying $1,000 worth of Nike products to burn it on YouTube for my 300 viewers" energy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Despite knowing it was Tuesday, knowing NXT was on Tuesday, I didn't even know NXT was airing until people started talking about the show going on right now

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Rhea is going to lose the steel cage match designed to prevent interference.... due to interference :lol:
WWE.nxt

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I forgot we even had an NXT so I was just GDT'ing in the main thread.

Also way to kill the fuckin gimmick of having like 9 really cool matches and it lands on "Falls Count Anywhere with a spooky name"

A match that NXT has done like a dozen times this year

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

lol Gargano superkicked a skeleton that scared him

I'm enjoying goofy heel Gargano.
"Johnny Gargano attempts to open a casket to put Archer into. A skeleton falls out, and Johnny Gargano superkicks it, reeling in fear"

Also lol "2 minutes guys work it"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Maigius posted:

Is that better or worse than "Coal Miner's Glove on a Pole match"? That is what the wheel landed on when Spin the Wheel, Make a Deal was used some time in the 90s.
The wheel is gimmicked this time, idk if it was in the 90s

e: Coal Miner's Glove on a Pole match is there

So is chamber of horrors and Boiler Room Brawl

Add "The referee screams at Ghostface from the Scream movie franchise this doesn't concern them" to the recap

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 29, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

lol that was great

Also the return of Bad News Barrett

Vic really does look like Waldo though
30 minutes, first match in, but this might be better than every Takeover this year already lol

e: Jinxed it as Pat McAfee cuts a promo on INTERNET WRESTLING COMMUNITY SMARKS

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 29, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Phantasma wearing Mysterio's purple Halloween Havoc pants is hella cool

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

BONEYARD MATCH

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Add "Cameron Grimes attemps to take a shower with a demon from The Ring franchise" to the recap

e: THERE WERE FIVE OF EM

JEEEEEZUS

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dexter Lumis and his harem of zombie gymnists (And one man with a mustasche) is certainly

It's a thing. I think I like it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ten minutes for a TLC match between Io and Candace seems criminal

Another one for the recap: “Candace dumps a bag of body parts out on the ground and runs in horror. Io picks a severed hand up and spanks Candace with it”

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

That was definitely the best NXT show of the year, including takeovers.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's this very uniquely NXT issue where they have too many stars and not enough midcarders/jobbers so people that SHOULD be stars become jobbers, and people that should be jobbers sometimes end up with way too much TV time.

Like if you took the entire NXT women's division and dumped them into SHIMMER 2k20 it'd be one of the best rosters out there but not even Io Shirai feels like a star anymore because the roster's so crowded and she doesn't get to just do Io Shirai things that often.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Rick posted:

It is funny that half of NXT calls Finn “Prince.”
Hunter sees AEW alluding to TNT/WCW canon and being successful so he tries to do the same thing for NXT.

Balor's stock has dropped so hard that nobody cares who he was in NJPW anymore though. His stock has dropped so much that being the first Universal champion doesn't even matter.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Turns out the big payoff to Xia Li is that she's just getting a Rosemary/Abadon/Su Yung gimmick

????

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm seeing double here, four Chuck Taylors?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

AEW has done better with Britt Baker in the last year and a half AEW's been on the air than WWE has done with one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, Asuka who's been in the WWE six years and has done almost nothing since her Goldberg reign as NXT Champion.

WWE might has better women's wrestlers overall but does squat with them. This company made me zone out of Sammi Zayn/Kevin Owens ten years after their feud of the decade, and it's not because either guy's gotten worse at wrestling.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Did Samoa Joe just get demoted to sitdown interviewer for NXT? I've tuned out commentary entirely so I don't know if he's been on RAW or Smackdown tbh

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Pylons posted:

He's been commentary for a while because he can't get cleared.
I mean from commentary to backstage

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I thought the match was great, and then it drug on for another 25 minutes.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The same company who turned Io Shirai into some kind of feral woman despite having decent English and previously having a better Queen gimmick than Flair.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ever Rise have a lot more depth than "Young Bucks" but you never really get to see that in NXT. I think...They've also been around about the same amount of time

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

stab posted:

They've been around longer, and have COMPLETELY different styles. They're not even brothers!!!

The only passing resemblance is the gear and it's a tenuous one at that.

The bucks are high flyers, my boys are promo guys.

Sorry, the Bucks/Everrise comps is always good for a solid trigger hahaha.
It's a small miracle Quack let them do what they did in CHIKARA, 2.0 -> Badd Boys -> 3.0 into getting the first pin on their monster tag-team was such a great run. Shane is so good at the pseudo cocaine fueled Scott Steiner promo with Shane as the translator and I think the only promos I've seen from them were on 205 Live and web-exclusives.

They're so drat good in the ring too

Like I said in the WWE thread, NXT has some of my favorite wrestlers and manage to make me not care about any of them.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 12, 2021

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Xia Li is actually cursed, there's constant injuries in her matches and they're all accidental but oof, even if she just knocked the wind out of Li they shouldn't have done the finish anyway and called it a TKO.

I think Sarray is going to carve her own niche out by speaking in third person as a very modest, shy girl but then just kicking people's heads off in the ring.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

InDex is a lot of fun.
I was telling y'all Dexter Loomis is great. Y'all need to apologize :colbert:

(He'll be great until he goes to the main roster or Vince & Co take over NXT)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I've gotten tired of the NXT Main Event house style but the comedy stuff in NXT has been hitting it for me for a while now, probably around the Dexter/Grimes feud actually.

And I still love Xia Li and her weird Mortal Kombat faction. It's too bad she was Actually Cursed to either hurt or get injured in the ring every match.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

How do you think KUSHIDA feels leaving NJPW because they wouldn't bump him up to Heavyweight, then NJPW bumping everyone up to Heavyweights if they wanted it, and getting stuck in Cruiserweight hell in WWE.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Girls really love serial killers. Even though Dexter isn't really a serial killer, he just doesn't blink often and draws cartoons and has a creepy house full of zombie contortionists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I hope the honeymoon photos are them doing fun things while Dexter just had the same look on his face.

Same thing with wedding photos.

Making him a socially awkward weirdo who doesn't change facial expressions was a great idea. Much better than just making him a generic evil guy.
He doesn't even do anything evil, most of his feuds are people thinking he's weird and picking a fight with him