Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just think it would be a better film if Timothee Chalamet was walking around outside, in a dress, complaining about how hot and sweaty she is, clapping those water-fat cheeks

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Halloween Jack posted:

I just think it would be a better film if Timothee Chalamet was walking around outside, in a dress, complaining about how hot and sweaty she is, clapping those water-fat cheeks

i keep trying to follow the Golden Path but my rear end is dummy thicc and it is creating a nexus of possible futures that renders prescience impractical

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

STILGAR I'M TRYING TO WALK WITHOUT RHYTHM BUT I'M DUMMY WATERFATT AND THE CLAPPING OF MY CHEEKS KEEPS ATTRACTING THE WORM

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol. prescient minds think alike

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Paul walking around in the open sun is a little bit weird visually given that the entire movie is constantly reinforcing how harsh the environment is. the entire palm tree scene can be fixed quite elegantly if they just filmed the scene a bit closer to day break so Paul walking around uncovered (and the gardener's line about the time of day) makes more sense. hell you could even dim the footage in post or ADR Paul saying something about the sunlight or whatever.

there are a lot of tiny quibbles I have with the film and nearly all of them could have been fixed in the editing room. somebody needs to fire Joe Walker, kidnap Villeneuve and force him to release a 4 hr cut against his will

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I forget but don't they straight up say in the scene almost right before how it's not middle of the day super death hot yet? When Leto is doing the Dune 2 tutorial bit?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget but don't they straight up say in the scene almost right before how it's not middle of the day super death hot yet? When Leto is doing the Dune 2 tutorial bit?

They are closing the doors and asking Leto to come inside because the sun is rising too high. It's a bit weird how they do that and then show Paul taking a walk outside immediately after. Could be that Paul is a weirdo, could be that the imperialists are overly fussy about :supaburn: The sun, mylord :supaburn: and the locals are more than happy to encourage their fears.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Hi everyone. Please accept my apologies. I'm very sorry for having acted out in this manner and for posting extremely badly in this thread (probably elsewhere as well).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Freedom Trails posted:

Hi everyone. Please accept my apologies. I'm very sorry for having acted out in this manner and for posting extremely badly in this thread (probably elsewhere as well).

thank you. go in peace friend

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's all good. We all serve one master, and his name is Shai-Hulud

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yes, be one with the Maker

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'll probably be finished the book this week. Should I watch the theatrical 84 movie first or just skip to the recut (by Spice Diver)?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bedshaped posted:

I'll probably be finished the book this week. Should I watch the theatrical 84 movie first or just skip to the recut (by Spice Diver)?

I dunno. The recut looks terrible since it’s SD at best and degraded tape at worst, but on the other hand the theatrical is easier to swallow when you can mentally fill in the missing pieces.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
please excuse my post history i drank from the waters of life

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Love the thread title. :)

Good movie, 2,5 hours just flew by. The ornithopters were cool, the battle was cool.

I really liked it.

It was good, which is all I hoped for to be honest.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It is a very good movie. Zimmer was having a good day with the soundtrack and for the most part, things look how you would expect them to look if you had read the book.

Also what I need to give credit for is how instantly recognisable the scenes were and the attention to detail IN those scenes. I last re-read the book about 10 years ago and I was surprised at how much I remembered while watching the movie. That's a credit to the movie that in how close it stuck to the book in that I could watch it, remember exactly how the scene played out from the first few shots, then see that exact same thing happen. I'd almost suggest it's one of the most accurate portrayals of a book I've seen.

But I felt very unsatisfied about the whole thing.

First of all, I think I can officially say I hate Denis Villeneuve as a director. He's like a slow, methodical Christopher Nolan, which is not a good thing as Nolan can sometimes be too goddamn slow and methodical. Plus, all of his scenes tend to have the same level of intensity. There's no emphasis or high points or low points, it just...is? Works great for Blade Runner, but Dune didn't have to be Blade Runner.

I hate how he gets actors to perform. Half of Zendaya's acting in this movie was to stare wistfully into the desert sunset with the wind blowing around her face. Half of everybody else's acting was to look concerned 100% of the time (except Momoa who had some actual personality as Duncan).

Plus I'm getting really tired of the recent Hollywood trend of acting where half the dialogue is whispered in some UBER SERIOUS AND DRAMATIC way. Everybody spends this entire movie talking like they're in the trailer and like there should be some psych-up music in the background to make the scene engaging to watch. Every line is delivered with such gravitas and seriousness that...nothing ends up having any gravitas or seriousness. Lord knows that if Dune had quippy dialogue like a Marvel movie, that would have been horrendous, but there's a wide range of emotion between Marvel and Dune.

But I think the big problem is very simple. Despite how faithful and well made this movie is, I don't think Dune translates well to a movie (shocking revelation right?) There's so much internal dialogue in EVERYTHING for Dune and all of that is missing in the film. No fault of the film, that's because a movie is not a book. But the end result is even when the movie NAILED a scene perfectly, it felt like something was missing. It felt like we only got half the conversation.

I think this was a movie where they tried so hard to get everything RIGHT. From that perspective, they nailed it. However I wonder if they remembered to make a movie that was fun to watch as well.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was just thinking about the Villeneuve-Nolan comparison this morning, except in the opposite direction, I like V a lot more. his action cinematography and choreography is tighter, the sound mixing isn't dogshit, the emotional beats have more weight, and everything seems to indicate he's a decent person to work with

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

H13 posted:

Plus, all of his scenes tend to have the same level of intensity. There's no emphasis or high points or low points, it just...is? Works great for Blade Runner, but Dune didn't have to be Blade Runner.

This is one thing that's bugged me about it, there's some quality at work in the filmmaking that causes most of the big moments to not read as big moments. I think maybe it's the ever-present sense of impending doom; once the doom finally arrives it just feels like the lock snapping shut rather than a big climactic event. Which I guess is true to the book, at least, where the traitor's identity is revealed in the first chapter and there's like 300 pages of dramatic irony where people constantly dismiss that character as a suspect out of hand.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
great ideas transformed into relatively mundane visuals. throat singing varangian cult of mars is dope, but they look like background extras from mass effect.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The sound mixing is better, but that doesn't help much when everything is whispered. Also the sound mixing isn't flawless. I couldn't understand a drat thing that was being said when Paul was in that tent and that's a really big moment in the book.

I feel like V prefers to IMPLY big moments rather than make big moments. He wants the audience to realise which are the big moments and which ones aren't without telegraphing. I do prefer unobtrusive film-making, but I think he's minimal to a fault. An example from a different movie is the dinner scene from Scicario. It's a climactic, massive scene from the film, but if you watched that scene, having never seen the rest of the movie, you wouldn't know how big of a deal it was because it's so down-played. He wants the audience to recognise how important that scene is by putting it in context with the movie, rather than highlighting to everybody "THIS IS A BIG DEAL."

I can respect that, but that gets a bit lost when everybody is SUPER SERIOUS 100% of the time and whispering ominously at each other in cool sounding sound bytes. Again, I recognise a lot of the dialogue was straight from the book so it probably by default was going to have a super dramatic script regardless, but you get the feeling that these characters couldn't order a cheeseburger at McDonalds without it sounding like the most significant decision of their entire life.

Basically, his version of implying "THIS IS A BIG DEAL" is a stony silence from two characters staring down at each other. Hell yeah that can be engaging and way more suspenseful than a choir erupting and Darth Maul appearing, but over 2 and a half hours of that and the silence starts to drag for me.

Nolan can be guilty of being a bit monotone as well, but then he'll have the odd scene like the Time scene at the end of Inception. Or the mission launch in Interstellar with STAY playing over it and Michael Caine reading that poem. Nolan will sometimes meet the audience halfway whereas I don't get that from V.

I get that there was meant to be a sense of impending doom over the whole thing, but that didn't land for me. How could you distinguish between the doom in scene 1 from the doom in scene 2? For me, the doom never really built up, developed or did anything and after an hour or so of impending doom until the Harkonnen invasion, it starts to lose its impact and meaning. Also, from memory (again, re-read it for the 3rd or 4th time about 10 years ago so I'm not going to call myself an expert) there WAS some excitement from the Atreides about getting Arrakis. Leto and the main characters all knew it was a trap, but other people, were low-key excited to be given this planet which is the most valuable goldmine in the universe.

Case in point: Duncan. Duncan was having a blast. He loved the challenge of the environment, he was excited to learn about the Fremen and he had a tonne of respect for how much rear end they kicked. He was excited about the prospect of "Desert Power" which they were bringing to the table. Duncan was the most personable part of the movie and he bought a lot of colour and life to the film that didn't resort to Marvel-esque quipping. I'm not saying it needed more Duncan, but it needed something aside from the same emotional spectrum from every other character.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I dunno man, a distinct coldness and suppressed human moments is exactly what I remembered from the book. I remember a lot of icy cold grand concepts and that's about it. If anything I thought the way he brought Idaho and Gurney to life was a really nice change. I'd have liked more too but I can't say I disagree with how much screentime they had.

I do agree on the Nolan comparison except in a positive way. Arrival and Interstellar are very similar movies, but Arrival actually had me feeling a little choked up at the end while the end of Interstellar made me angry at how stupid it was and never want to sit through it again.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
as much as this was a good Zimmer soundtrack I am so loving sick of Zimmer soundtracks

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

I dunno man, a distinct coldness and suppressed human moments is exactly what I remembered from the book. I remember a lot of icy cold grand concepts and that's about it. If anything I thought the way he brought Idaho and Gurney to life was a really nice change. I'd have liked more too but I can't say I disagree with how much screentime they had.

I do agree on the Nolan comparison except in a positive way. Arrival and Interstellar are very similar movies, but Arrival actually had me feeling a little choked up at the end while the end of Interstellar made me angry at how stupid it was and never want to sit through it again.

Yeah I'm inclined to re-read the book (which is a positive from the film itself) and you're right about there being a lot of inhuman coldness for a fair bit of it. But my memory of it was that mostly applied to the Harkonnen, the Fremen, Bene Gesserit and the Sardukaur moreso than the Atreides (okay basically everyone except the Good Guys). I have memories of the Atreides being more "human" which was what separated them from everybody else and why they were such clear "good guys" vs the Harkonnen. Not that the Atreides were some, plucky, happy-go-lucky Cowboy Bebop wannabes but just that they were warmer than everything else. We saw a glimpse of that when Leto saved the crew of the harvester.

Or maybe all that gets lost in the internal dialogue.

AGAIN: Happy to be wrong if my memory of the book is fuzzy.

I agree that the ending of Interstellar was...not the best bit. But I am definitely a Nolan fanboy so perhaps V's work is too similar that when it doesn't do what Nolan does, it feels weird and I can't connect to it. That being said, I think Nolan would've tried to inflate Dune and make it bigger than it already is, while telling it with a non-linear story for no goddamn reason other than to confuse the gently caress out of the audience 'cos SMART.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

erring on the side of subtlety is way, way better than the alternative

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

H13 posted:

I think Nolan would've tried to inflate Dune and make it bigger than it already is, while telling it with a non-linear story for no goddamn reason other than to confuse the gently caress out of the audience 'cos SMART.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2FXfFeRtJo

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

kalel posted:

erring on the side of subtlety is way, way better than the alternative

I agree, imagine if Zack Snyder tried to do Dune? Christ. But there's a difference between being subtle and letting your audience do all your hard work for you.

At the end of the day, the movie is brilliantly made and very well done. I just couldn't connect with it at all.

H13 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 5, 2021

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

In the book the Atreides are definitely portrayed as very cold and almost entirely unemotional, they're just not sadistic or cruel. They're noble and honest but entirely serious and unrelatable. There's more familial warmth in the movie than in the entire book, I believe

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cognac McCarthy posted:

In the book the Atreides are definitely portrayed as very cold and almost entirely unemotional, they're just not sadistic or cruel. They're noble and honest but entirely serious and unrelatable. There's more familial warmth in the movie than in the entire book, I believe

Cool, fair enough then. Happy to be wrong.

Maybe it's one of those other things which works great in a book because you'll put it down\pick it up again, versus a movie where it's 2 and a half hours straight of a thing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm just over here scratching my head and trying to remember where all this supposed whispered important dialogue was

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The only whispering I can think of is the whispering in the Bene Gesserit theme and that's something else

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In the tent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sebmojo posted:

In the tent.

TENTE
ENTET
NTETE
TENTE
ETENT

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Paul does whisper “I see a holy war spreading like fire across the galaxy” and it’s sort of hard to hear, but then a second later he screams it at the top of his lungs, so

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
really its the sound designers fault that this movie doesnt sound the same on my $100 soundbar as a $40k dolby digital dts thx system at theater
:goonsay:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have now seen it six times, and I'm starting to find it a little unnecessarily ponderous so I think I'm done.

Still an a+, roll on 2UNC

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I mean, if you've seen it 6 times I think DV accomplished something

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Last time was on the theatre and the seats were really uncomfortable which did not help

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

really its the sound designers fault that this movie doesnt sound the same on my $100 soundbar as a $40k dolby digital dts thx system at theater
:goonsay:

This but (mostly) unironically. Dialogue intelligibility is a pretty big problem in movies nowadays, and there are a lot of factors that go into why, but it really doesn't make sense to tailor your audio mix for the theater and the theater only when so many people are watching at home. https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/he...e=pocket-newtab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I saw the movie in theatres twice and couldn't understand the tent scene so it's a legit problem of the movie