Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The reused miniature bombing shots are pretty dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arglebargle III posted:

Lynch isn't Lucas.

Yeah, and he has many other great qualities on top of that.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Tarnop posted:

The second half will be an anime Netflix original

jesus loving christ no

after Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045... just gently caress no

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
This is accurate:

https://twitter.com/WarrenIsDead/status/1250136875484004354

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Certainly the Lynch version anyway.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

D U N E reimagined as a romcom

Fremen with Gesserits

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

elton john voice: b-b-b-bene geseritssss

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ingmar terdman posted:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

:vince:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The thread has peaked. The Kwisatz Haderach walks among us in comment form.

Further discussion has been rendered moot, kill it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1359136748668923907?s=19

Streaming exclusivity in America for a few weeks and then a cinema release? Or they just haven't announced a date change yet?

Either way it moves away from 007s updated release date.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 9, 2021

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
i wish they'd just release one massive epic film instead of a two parter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

why sell tickets to one 4.5 hour movie when you could instead sell everyone tickets to two 2.5 hour movies?

at least this isn't a Hobbit situation where they're stretching the source material into extra films just to cash in

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Early screenings suggest the running time is 2 hr 15min which is surprisingly short. I think WB wanted to avoid another BR2049 situation.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's a fine length for a movie, and should be more than enough to cover the first half of the book with a competent director.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just have a grim feeling that with the glut of big movies waiting to be released, Dune - which is anything but a fun and exciting four-quadrant spectacular with a traditional uplifting hero's journey storyline - will get good reviews only to be kerbstomped at the box office by Bond or Fast 9 or whatever Marvel movie is cued up. And "it's only half a story!" will be touted as one of the reasons. :smith:

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Y'all need to take a deep breath. Did you already forget the reception that the Dune trailer received when it actually dropped? It has like 31 million views on Youtube and counting. People want to see the movie.

edit: that's like more than every view for both James Bond No Time to Die trailers combined

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AwkwardKnob posted:

Y'all need to take a deep breath. Did you already forget the reception that the Dune trailer received when it actually dropped? It has like 31 million views on Youtube and counting. People want to see the movie.

edit: that's like more than every view for both James Bond No Time to Die trailers combined

To be fair, I think this thread accounts for about a quarter of those views.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It might not be four-quadrant but Dune is a very basic heroes journey story. Its another thing that Lucas, err, cribbed for Star Wars.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly after all this time of theaters basically not being a thing despite some being open, and who even knows how open they’ll be by the end of this year, I have no loving clue what metrics WB will even use to say if we get Part 2 or not. They may cut back hard, or they may roll forward because dammit they’ll need something in the pipeline.

What is a hit? What is a flop? It’s chaos.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Feldegast42 posted:

It might not be four-quadrant but Dune is a very basic heroes journey story. Its another thing that Lucas, err, cribbed for Star Wars.

does it still count as "basic" if the hero's journey in question was being engineered as a highly artificial socio-political tool by other characters in the story

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

i wish they'd just release one massive epic film instead of a two parter.

With how people binge watch stuff that's not a bad idea

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Calling Dune a basic hero's journey, while not false per se, feels like a disservice to Dune and the hero's journey both

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Smdh at the unfaithful in this thread.

AwkwardKnob posted:

:agreed:

Also this is the first time I've heard of it but lol "four-quadrant". I had a feeling as soon as I looked this up it was just Hollywood BS trying to split demographics. Just the kind of useless metric you would expect studios to believe in.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Four Quadrant is not useless, it's just extremely broad.

Like "do both men AND women enjoy the film?" is real basic stuff

As is "do both kids and adults enjoy it?"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, I get it but broadening appeal almost always goes hand in hand with "dumb this poo poo down".

e. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the usage. The books have fans all over the place so it's a strange idea to me. But a movie isn't a book, so whatever.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 11, 2021

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

does it still count as "basic" if the hero's journey in question was being engineered as a highly artificial socio-political tool by other characters in the story

Are you saying Luke's basic hero's journey in star wars wasn't?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They should have filmed it all back to back.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

They should have filmed it all back to back.

I think even in a world without the pandemic this is the only way we would've seen them both.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I don’t know why it’s a foregone conclusion that Dune won’t get a sequel. I’m not especially bullish on it but it seems perfectly possibly that theaters rebound by release day, it gets a huge marketing push and meets their expectations. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed or even the most likely outcome but studios have bankrolled plenty of sequels for less.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Theaters are dying, and "people must not like Dune" sounds better than "capitalism is inadequate in a crisis" to the executives who'll decide to axe Dune part 2.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Again, you’re assuming the movie won’t do well enough and they’ll be looking for an excuse not to green light part 2. But we don’t know if Dune will do well. It might be a massive hit! We just don’t know.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It really depends on COVID being a nonissue in Q4.

IF that happens, a space politics nerd movie sequel is a lower tier thing to be happy about.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t know why it’s a foregone conclusion that Dune won’t get a sequel. I’m not especially bullish on it but it seems perfectly possibly that theaters rebound by release day, it gets a huge marketing push and meets their expectations. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed or even the most likely outcome but studios have bankrolled plenty of sequels for less.

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to film it all at once? They already have a complete story to work off of (no idea if the second script is finished though), all the sets are built and preproduction finished, and they were already on location with all the actors there. Maybe Villeneuve wanted Chalamet to age naturally to fit the time jump in the book?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Cacator posted:

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to film it all at once? They already have a complete story to work off of (no idea if the second script is finished though), all the sets are built and preproduction finished, and they were already on location with all the actors there. Maybe Villeneuve wanted Chalamet to age naturally to fit the time jump in the book?

Even if it would've made some sense financially to film both, I think it's pretty reasonable that the studio wants to make sure the first movie doesn't bomb before writing a check for the 2nd.

Also, since there are a few big actors who won't be needed for the 2nd movie Oscar Isaac, Jason Momoa, and quite a few actors who probably just had a scene or two in the first Javier Bardem, Zendaya, Dave Bautista, Stellen Skarsgard, and a couple who will probably only have a few scenes in the 2nd Josh Brolin, Rebecca Ferguson, splitting up filming might have made it easier to get all these A list actors.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Cacator posted:

I’m sure their accountants did the math and saw that it’d be safer to hedge their bets on one movie at a time. It’s frustrating from a creative perspective but I don’t think that the cost of having to start production on a sequel that shares sets and stuff is enough to offset that risk, otherwise every film series ever would do it that way.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Unfortunately it's fairly understandable that there'd be risk aversion, Villeneuve simply hasn't proven he can open a blockbuster level movie yet.

Hard to justify a two movie 250-300m commitment sight unseen when his highest earning movie to date made $260m worldwide.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Are you saying Luke's basic hero's journey in star wars wasn't?

Luke is the product of literal prophecy, not social engineering (well, social engineering plus prophecy, given how the BG work :v: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Calling Dune a basic hero's journey, while not false per se, feels like a disservice to Dune and the hero's journey both

He has two descents into the underworld, it's very different.