Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hodgepodge posted:

One of the biggest changes from the books and first film, iirc, is that the characters aren't already spice addicts with glowing blue eyes. Basically, everyone should be a spice addict.

Not everyone has glowing blue eyes. Everyone in the aristocracy is some level of addicted, but the Fremen are literally exposed to Spice 24/7 from living in the desert. It's the difference between doing key bumps at parties on Kaitain some weekends, and living in a cocaine world where you are constantly breathing in some amount of cocaine every second.

I'm pretty sure the only people more immersed in Spice are Guild Navigators, who do it by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget in the book after Kynes dies and the time jump is the position of imperial planetologist left empty?

I don't recall the position being filled, not by anyone of significance. However, Kynes is Leto II's grandmother/father and so all their memories are shared by da big wurm.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Gonna need a lot of more than stitches, since his head is chopped off with a knife and then unceremoniously dropped on the floor.

Ghola Yueh spider.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
The spider is Feyd Rautha and will have a much bigger role in the second movie.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Xealot posted:

Not everyone has glowing blue eyes. Everyone in the aristocracy is some level of addicted, but the Fremen are literally exposed to Spice 24/7 from living in the desert. It's the difference between doing key bumps at parties on Kaitain some weekends, and living in a cocaine world where you are constantly breathing in some amount of cocaine every second.

I'm pretty sure the only people more immersed in Spice are Guild Navigators, who do it by design.

I think the Bene Gesserit and the Mentats are supposed to have blue eyes as well.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Reverend Mothers do, from the spice agony, but not as a general rule. Mentats can, just like anybody else, but it's not necessary for the role - Piter's just an addict, which suits the Baron because taking advantage of people's needs is basically his whole management style.

The Dune encyclopedia does mention that coloured contacts to cover up blue eyes are quite popular in Imperial high society, though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Jo Joestar posted:

Reverend Mothers do, from the spice agony, but not as a general rule. Mentats can, just like anybody else, but it's not necessary for the role - Piter's just an addict, which suits the Baron because taking advantage of people's needs is basically his whole management style.

The Dune encyclopedia does mention that coloured contacts to cover up blue eyes are quite popular in Imperial high society, though.

The main reason that anyone who can afford to be addicted to spice is in the books is the fact that it makes you healthier and slows down your aging dramatically.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://youtu.be/4EeZEX6VakU

Warner Bros might Greenlight Hyperion

https://www.slashfilm.com/650283/hyperion-movie-adaptation-coming-from-bradley-cooper/

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wished on twittter for a Hyperion film in response to one of those "which unfilmable sci-fi classic would you like to see on the big screen" click bait questions. I hope I didn't cause this

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

stev posted:

Hey no one said the head would be alive when it was stitched on.
No, they're pretty explicit about the Tleilaxu grabbing cells from a dead corpse as the only way to produce a ghola from Duncan Idaho, and by that point in the story the Tleilaxu hadn't figured out the amount of mental anguish and stress to force onto a ghola in order to have it recover its memories.

Automatic Slim posted:

Ghola Yueh spider.
Ah, I see you're a fan of David Lynch's Dune.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

uXs posted:

For a movie that pays this much attention to detail, it was very weird to see the Shadout Mapes sheath the Crysknife without drawing blood.

Especially since later on, they do get this correct.

jfc thank you i guffawed in the middle of the imax theatre, and was doubly perplexed when the fremen later clearly did cut themselves before sheathing

my only complaint outside wanting the 4 hour cut

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

i stand corrected

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

black.lion posted:

jfc thank you i guffawed in the middle of the imax theatre, and was doubly perplexed when the fremen later clearly did cut themselves before sheathing

my only complaint outside wanting the 4 hour cut

Mapes forgets in the book too, the movie just didn't include the scene of Jessica pointing it out.

Edit: didn't see the post you quoted which said the exact same thing

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hyperion is insane to do as a movie. It's clearly an anthology. It's based on the most famous anthology in the English canon. The chapter titles directly reference Chaucer for gently caress's sake.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It'd make a great miniseries, no idea how you would even turn the first book into a film...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Does Hyperion have any deranged anti-Muslim material?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No it has deranged anti-Catholic material.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 3, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of the main characters is of Palestinian descent as I recall. He's a war criminal but became an anti-war activist. It's a million years since I read the first book but I like that character in the second because he goes one-on-one with the universe's ultimate killing machine to stop it menacing his friends

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For those of you who haven't read it, Hyperion is organized like The Canterbury Tales and even calls attention to that arrangement in its chapter titles. The frame story is a bunch of "pilgrims" going to visit a semi-mythical time-traveling robot murder machine called The Shrike, each for reasons they would at first prefer to keep private. They tell each other stories about why they are going to the Shrike.

Each pilgrim's tale is a different genre of science fiction. They are:

1. The Priest's Tale - body horror
2. The Soldier's Tale - military scifi
3. The Poet's Tale - man-out-of-time (a man is frozen and wakes up in the future with brain damage)
4. The Scholar's Tale - magical realism
5. The Detective's Tale - cyberpunk noir
6. The Consul's Tale - space opera

It's an incredible achievement. However it's also a novel without an ending, and in my opinion the much shorter sequel doesn't stick the landing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There is so, so, so much Catholic suicide in the Hyperion Cantos.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Just mocap the spikey villain from the snyder cut into some tenet footage and you're like 75% of the way there to a terrible dumb hyperion movie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Shrike only shows up in two of the six stories!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Actually no, now I want to see this movie only for it to completely grind to a halt at the 2:30:00 mark to explain what's going on with Maui Covenant. It will be like Moby Dick we will go on a long digression about whales that ultimately doesn't matter.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The digressions about whale anatomy and rope knots do matter, otherwise the final chase is very anticlimactic

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

porfiria posted:

Fedmahn Kassad was a Palestinians Martian thug.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

A small note is that the emperor doesn’t know the exact size of the fremen population in Arrakis, or that their martial prowess surpasses that of the sardaukar.

The Harkkonnens keep their casualty figures under strict secrecy, and when he shows up during the Arrakis crisis he is less than happy about the performance of the sardaukar. Also extremely surprised about the rumours of numerous sietches, and green patches deep into the desert, and immediately thinks the baron is setting up a trap for him.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

2house2fly posted:

I wished on twittter for a Hyperion film in response to one of those "which unfilmable sci-fi classic would you like to see on the big screen" click bait questions. I hope I didn't cause this

forever war forever war forever war

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

2house2fly posted:

One of the main characters is of Palestinian descent as I recall. He's a war criminal but became an anti-war activist. It's a million years since I read the first book but I like that character in the second because he goes one-on-one with the universe's ultimate killing machine to stop it menacing his friends

In Kassads case you can replace his nationality with anything since he is for the most part standard milsf protagonist and I would not count him as negative representation.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

porfiria posted:

Part of the Palestinian character's backstory of his role against what's basically the Iranian Hostage Crisis but across a whole planet. He contrives a way to kill the hostage taking mullahs all at once live on tv.

I wouldn't call the book anti any religion but frankly there's ample material on Catholicism, Islam and Judaism if that's where you want to take it.

There's no way to make Hyperion into a movie, it has to be a miniseries.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It has to be anime.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

AnEdgelord posted:

I think the Bene Gesserit and the Mentats are supposed to have blue eyes as well.

Jo Joestar posted:

So there's a distinction between Dune and the rest of the books. In Dune, how important the spice is to everyone (beyond just being a life extending drug for the upper classes) is less a fait accompli. It's only revealed late in the book that the Guild uses spice for navigation, and the BG explicitly use other drugs as well as the spice for becoming RMs or their truth sensing for example. The Navigators being weird lookin' guys is also only introduced in Messiah.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So there's a distinction between Dune and the rest of the books. In Dune, how important the spice is to everyone (beyond just being a life extending drug for the upper classes) is less a fait accompli. It's only revealed late in the book that the Guild uses spice for navigation, and the BG explicitly use other drugs as well as the spice for becoming RMs or their truth sensing for example. The Navigators being weird lookin' guys is also only introduced in Messiah.

Saphos Juice is the biggest remnant of that, it's such a weird store brand soda version of spice. Like mentats take it to be smarter, it comes from a rare tree, and if you become addicted your lips stain red. And everything about that is just one step lamer than spice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I like the interpretation of Piter as an Executive Vice President whose boss tolerates his out-of-control coke habit.

Overall, I thought the way they identified Mentats with a simple little tattoo was a great touch.

hump day bitches! posted:

A small note is that the emperor doesn’t know the exact size of the fremen population in Arrakis, or that their martial prowess surpasses that of the sardaukar.
I'm a little confused about it. There's a scene where Hawat lays it all out for the Baron, and says that the Sardaukar must have lost several soldiers for every Fremen they killed. I'm not sure if that refers to stuff they did in the attack on the Atreides, or stuff they did a few years ago, before or during the Harkonnen fiefdom.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 3, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a little confused about it. There's a scene where Hawat lays it all out for the Baron, and says that the Sardaukar must have lost several soldiers for every Fremen they killed. I'm not sure if that refers to stuff they did in the attack on the Atreides, or stuff they did a few years ago, before or during the Harkonnen fiefdom.

It's the invasion and the following pogrom

quote:

"Hah! Then why warn Rabban? There cannot be more than a handful of Fremen left after the Sardaukar pogrom and Rabban's oppression."
Hawat continued to stare at him silently.
"Not more than a handful!" the baron repeated. "Rabban killed six thousand of them last year alone!"
Still, Hawat stared at him.
"And the year before it was nine thousand," the baron said. "And before they left, the Sardaukar must've accounted for at least twenty thousand."
"What are Rabban's troop losses for the past two years?" Hawat asked.
The Baron rubbed his jowls. "Well, he has been recruiting rather heavily, to be sure. His agents make rather extravagant promises and --"
"Shall we say thirty thousand in round numbers?" Hawat asked.
"That would seem a little high," the baron said.
"Quite the contrary," Hawat said. "I can read between the lines of Rabban's reports as well as you can. And you certainly must've understood my reports from our agents."
"Arrakis is a fierce planet," the Baron said. "Storm losses can --"
"We both know the figure for storm accretion," Hawat said.
"What if he has lost thirty thousand?" the Baron demanded, and blood darkened his face.
"By your own count," Hawat said, "he killed fifteen thousand over two years while losing twice that number. You say the Sardaukar accounted for another twenty thousand, possibly a few more. And I've seen the transportation manifests for their return from Arrakis. If they killed twenty thousand, they lost almost five for one. Why won't you face these figures, Baron, and understand what they mean?"

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
If you have ~$30,000 lying around, you can bid on a copy of Jodorowsky’s storyboards. You can finally “watch” Jodorowsky’s Dune!

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6345488

I hope someday a reproduction project of this shows up on Kickstarter or something.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 3, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If I had enough money for that, I'd film myself burning it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Saw it again in IMAX last night because why not! It's so awesome in IMAX. The whole theater was empty. Today is the last day for IMAX in my area and I might go again.

One thing I couldn't remember is why Jessica needs to have Paul take the duel for her?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jessica was considered a sayyadina, so Jamis is not allowed to put his hands on her

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Finally watched this, good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I hope the people who complain about austere looking fractions get their wish and part 2 has imperial court to be the most blinding opulent set.
Just a sea of gold baroque things.

This naturally means only one choice fo the emperor actor to fit the decor: Donald Trump Junior