Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Eating scenes in D U N C rivaling mafia movies

vessbot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Hmm what? I hope this is actually a copy of Jadorowskys Dune book, seems like a lot for something that's not the original, and why burn it?

https://economicleft.com/2022/01/17/nft-cryptobros-paid-3-million-for-a-dune-book-assuming-that-they-bought-the-copyright-too/

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Hmm what? I hope this is actually a copy of Jadorowskys Dune book, seems like a lot for something that's not the original, and why burn it?

https://economicleft.com/2022/01/17/nft-cryptobros-paid-3-million-for-a-dune-book-assuming-that-they-bought-the-copyright-too/

Yeah, it was supposed to auction for ~$26,000USD but these cryptobros paid $2.6MUSD because they thought it gave them the rights; like going to Barnes & Nobel and buying a copy of Jurassic Park gives me the rights to make a new, commercial JP film.
:lol:

https://twitter.com/TheSpiceDAO/status/1482404318347153413?s=20

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Edit: poo poo wrong thread.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's an interesting story, they know they don't own the rights, but their goal was to take this almost mythical art book and share as much of it they could. The animation piece is more of a fan film animatic than anything else.

I can't bring myself to condemn an effort to take something perceived jealously guarded and make it free to view for all, even if the irony is pretty heavy coming from NFT bros. The probably should have checked to see that someone had put the entire book for free online over a decade ago.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's an interesting story, they know they don't own the rights, but their goal was to take this almost mythical art book and share as much of it they could. The animation piece is more of a fan film animatic than anything else.

I can't bring myself to condemn an effort to take something perceived jealously guarded and make it free to view for all, even if the irony is pretty heavy coming from NFT bros. The probably should have checked to see that someone had put the entire book for free online over a decade ago.

thye could have bought it for a 20 thousand tho lmao

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Cryptobros spending a pile of money, thinking that they're buying intellectual property when they're not? I'm not surprised.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

This is the bit that confuses me the most. Did they literally go into an auction and bid thousands times more the previous bid?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was a flex, they believed if they showed that the concept had this kind of revenue behind it it would generate interest from other investors.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

money. it's a gas

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

gas. it's money.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is the bit that confuses me the most. Did they literally go into an auction and bid thousands times more the previous bid?

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6345488

25-35k was just the estimate from the auction house, not a bid. For all we know, some other rich idiots were bidding against them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For all we know the same rich idiots were accidentally bidding against each other.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The book has been available online for more than a decade. This was monstrously stupid, even moreso since it was directly fueled by the destruction of our environment.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The book has been available online for more than a decade. This was monstrously stupid, even moreso since it was directly fueled by the destruction of our environment.

the dramatic irony is palpable. Herbert is turning in his grave lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Link to the scans from the book that have been around for a while

e: it was also proposed that they burn the book after to increase the value of the NFTs :psyduck: crypto people are very loving stupid

Also this

Famethrowa posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 19, 2022

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gatts posted:

Gilbert Gottfried for Emperor.

Many people are saying this!

But the truly just choice would be David Lynch.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it has to be werner herzog

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Herzog is far too menacing for the character imo

Edit: no one in the audience would be able to buy him being cowed by Paul's threats to nuke the spice - he'd be like ". . . do it"

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 20, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Giancarlo is in everything, including Farcry, these days: let him do it!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Blood Boils posted:

Many people are saying this!

But the truly just choice would be David Lynch.

Lynch, except he’s Gordon Cole from Twin Peaks and has to yell at everyone.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lynch would be both hilarious and honestly great for the role, but there's absolutely no way he would ever do it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Danny DeVito should be the emperor, like imagine his delivery of "Bring me that floating fat man, the Baron!"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Neo Rasa posted:

Danny DeVito should be the emperor, like imagine his delivery of "Bring me that floating fat man, the Baron!"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Turning to the baron, "it should have been you, Rum Ham!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Block the wind while I huff this spice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The password is...spiiiice ooooorrrrrgy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Go download me a ghola off the CHOAM broadcast frequencies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hey, Odrade.
You look different.
I'm more confident.
I've grown into my body.
You're sure showing a lot of skin, huh?
Jealous? I'm a woman now.
I'm not a virgin anymore.
Cool.
Thank you.
Okay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Odrin?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Two hams, does he lose them often?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

vessbot posted:

Eating scenes in D U N C rivaling mafia movies

I've said before, but a LOT about feudal power structures makes sense when you realise they work almost exactly the same way as the Mafia, and are often directly related. (or at least, both are based on the Roman Empire's norms)

Vaguely related; one of the big themes of Dune that's almost too on the nose but rarely noted is dehumanisation, the reduction of thinking, feeling human beings to their raw utility, and the results of that when people forget they're still human on top of all that. From the Bene Gesserit's breeding programs to the Suk doctor, everything with the gholas, mentats... not even getting into the big irony that the Butlerian Jihad clearly backfired in the worst possible ways as 'machine thinking' without machines was taken to its most horrific logical conclusion. It flows very well into the 'space feudalism' themes, given under such a system people are explicitly reduced to resources and functions; most people are serfs who exist to labour, women exist to bear children, soldiers exist to make war. The Bene Gesserit explicitly exploit such a system by appealing to its base impulses encouraged in its ruling class, but even they are big offenders.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 22, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thought of an alternate thread title:

D U N C: suk my condicktioning

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Just finished Messiah and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask.
How did Paul not predict the stone burner, at least not until it was too late to get out of dodge?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Spermando posted:

Just finished Messiah and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask.
How did Paul not predict the stone burner, at least not until it was too late to get out of dodge?
He did predict it.

Also on that note, I finally finished Chapterhouse, and geez... I really struggled to get much out of those last two books. The first four are freakin' amazing though, and I would strongly recommend anyone get through God Emperor. After that ehhhh it's up to you.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Martman posted:

He did predict it.

Also on that note, I finally finished Chapterhouse, and geez... I really struggled to get much out of those last two books. The first four are freakin' amazing though, and I would strongly recommend anyone get through God Emperor. After that ehhhh it's up to you.

I should have asked, what was he hoping to achieve by going through with it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Spermando posted:

I should have asked, what was he hoping to achieve by going through with it
It's hard to be specific without getting kinda spoilery about the next books, which I guess is itself a bit of a spoiler. But generally, with regard to Messiah, it's most important to understand that Paul feels something has gone very very wrong with his empire and his hopes of avoiding terrible outcomes. When he's comparing himself to Hitler, it kinda seems like he's being glib and sarcastic, but really he's beyond horrified and genuinely feels that he's done monstrous things. So it seems like he is trying to find some way to thread the needle and fix what he's hosed up. He could simply die but that might just build his legacy as some god martyr figure.

Martman fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 28, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That's a very good answer. Paul can't make himself do the thing he needs to do. Being a willing victim of the plan against him is the only way out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This is spoiler for much later in the series - but prediction locks in the future, negating free will to the point that even the pearls of awareness in the sandworms that come from Leto II are enough to keep humanity constrained until Dune gets turned into a marble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Okay, willful self-destruction makes more sense.