Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I read dune once over a decade ago. Same with the Lynch movie. I'm rereading it now and it's clicking in an entirely different way this time. Just an absolute blast. Looking forward to rewatching Lynch and Jodo's Dune, and trying to watch the scifi one for the first time.

The reread is getting me simultaneously pumped for the movie and worried about how safe it's going to play it/how an impossible needle to thread this is. It doesn't look as outlandish as I'd hope but the casting is on point.

Friendship ended with STAR WAR; now DUNE is my best friend

e: also doesnt Segal basically sign autographs for cops to get honorary deputy badges? I know he had that COPS ripoff show where he waddled around arresting people

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

david_a posted:

Iíll probably end up rewatching the Lynch version but Iím scared to watch the miniseries again. I only saw it when it first aired. I stumbled across a clip of the navigator folding space on YouTube and I thought it was a fan clip somebody filmed with green screens in their basement.

At least the first couple hours are on youtube and clicking around it does look pretty clunky but I'm curious to see how much closer to the book it gets. Same reason I want to watch King's Shining.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I watched the first hour or so last night and I can't fault it for budget, and the 90s cgi is kinda charming. Pretty valiant job trying to preserve the book and reassign lines to people to establish things without losing momentum.

But I agree that Paul is played as an impatient know-it-all teen which feels a bit much. Back to back to back scenes where it feels like he's away at college trying to talk his dad through resetting his netflix password

And speaking of dad, William Hurt is sleepwalking through this thing haha

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I really like how the book is set up the resemble Paul's prescience. You have the passages between chapters that "give away" the fates of various characters and even the biographies give away death years and details about parentage etc. But like Paul you only see endpoints where the paths to the endpoints remain murky.

I'm sure this is baby's first dune thoughts but if anyone knows of any essays about this sort of thing Iemme know

dunc

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sci fi movie Irulan's butterfly dress feels very jodo/moebius

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Is it known whether Part 2 is (a) already greenlit and (b) they've already basically filmed both at once?

I dread a situation like Bakhski's LOTR where they build part one around anticipating a sequel and just never getting the chance. But if principal was for the enchilada that probably helps the odds.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Blasted through the first book and Messiah just came in the mail today

I forgot how completely horrific the last chapter is - the upper echelon of commerce, politics, and religion all helplessly screaming "what the gently caress have we/they done"

It's way more like the last scene of Rosemary's Baby than the Star Wars medal ceremony. Can't imagine they end a major two-film story on such a grim note but it'd be cool if they did

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Makes sense, but book 3 is pretty short and the climactic battle basically happens offstage, so I hope they don't get too "Peter Jackson Presents: JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings: The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies: A Middle-Earth Story" with it

e: a sandworm just roared in the sci fi movie, is that a thing? I can't remember the book saying anything about them vocalizing

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 16, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

whens that trailer comin

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Definitely a few times in book 3. Probably gurney and someone else, all internal monologue

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's also a group of eugenist finishing school witches that basically propagate Joseph Campbell to the unwashed masses. I agree the first book has a fairly standard hero's journey but Frank isn't shy about pulling the curtain back on it along the way

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Isnt one of the stills they've released gurney and paul ostensibly looking at the first worm in the book

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Breen is the obvious choice

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

So they changed the title again?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Page numbers in the corner of the screen

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The 55 year old book starts each chapter with passages that "spoil" the story so eh

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

So they used the song "Eclipse", and the logo looks like an eclipse. Is there a particular reason for that, from the books?

Denis has mentioned that dune caught his attention as a kid because of the french paperback cover

It seems like he's playing with a lot of eye imagery (the round sandworm mouths) as well as like circular voids (again the sandworm, the planet being a pit-like trap for the Atreides, Paul being in that place where the BG dare not go staring back at them). Maybe it's a stretch but that seems to be a motif that gels with the story

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mulva posted:

I mean the central message of Dune is that humanity shouldn't be beholden to the idea of "Great men" to save them, and that our salvation comes from diversity and exploration. So, you know, sure. Why not? gently caress Star Wars.

Yeah the end of the book is the medal ceremony from Star Wars except Luke crowns himself emperor and that's the point

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Have to rib the elder statesman/biggest star(?) on the cast a bit

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Someone in one of the threads pointed out that Dune 2000 costumes were supposed to be retro-future in a mid 60s original star trek way which I buy

The whole thing is on youtube in two parts and I think it's decent enough to watch

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah the scifi baron owns. Children of Dune is very difficult to find online but I'd like to see how they handle the messiah portion in particular

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sorry I ment Dune 2000 as in the scifi miniseries

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Spice World 2

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jesus christ marie it's spice

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ingmar terdman