Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
God Emperor is worthy of inclusion with the 'original' books, even if it's an entirely different experience and vibe and could have maybe benefited from some more editing. It's a great capstone.

Everything after that felt like rote sci-fi space opera which while occasionally fun (Super Teg!) had none of all of the high-minded literary otherworldliness that permeated the first few books. They're safe to skip imo.

I never bothered with the KJA books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
When I first read the books, I had always envisioned the Butlerian Jihad as way more of a philosophical throwing-clogs-in-windmills moment that was more about humanity realizing the hidden cost of delegating more and more responsibility and basically opting out of the shared human experience; it was way more interesting in that lens imo than as a literal Skynet robot war rehashing the beaten-to-death morality of Frankenstein.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jewmanji posted:

I think the Butlerian Jihad is really just supposed to evoke the luddites. I don’t think it’s more complicated than that.

Yeah, that was my read for sure.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Its gonna be a time skip all the way to Marty and Daniel, commenting on the movie like Statler and Waldorf, or MST3k

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Movie owned, extremely satisfied despite the reasonable and understandable changes. Favorite unexpected moment: the look on Gurneys face when Paul pulls out the ring and puts it on, and the shift for Gurney to straight religious ecstasy at that moment just like the fundamentalists around him.

ephori fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 26, 2024

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Otherwise flawless film, 10/10. They really don't make movies like this anymore, so it was a feast for the senses.
Big agree. So good.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I had a crazy nightmare about the Harkonnen arena referees. Those costumes haunt me.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CapnAndy posted:

And on more or less that topic, what was with the change to how Paul threatens to destroy the spice? "Nuking the spice fields" is a nonsensical threat, that's not how any of this works, Paul, the spice is all over the loving planet and there'd still be worms making more so unless you are threatening to nuke your own planet into a cinder, which I don't think you're doing, all I can do is repeat... what was that? In fact, we haven't gotten any of the spice life cycle yet, and this is stuff we're hugely going to need to know. With the information that movie audiences have right now, there's no reason why spice production would cease on Arrakis when it's terraformed, so long as "the spice fields" were left as deserts. It's a very weird choice.

Gurney makes a point of saying there are enough nukes to destroy the entire planet. It wasn't just about nuking the fields, it actually was about turning Arrakis into a cinder.

killaer posted:

Ok can we just admit part 2 was a disappointment? Let’s let the movie make some serious money and have a chance for round 3 but let’s face it, it’s not perfect, so compared to part 1 it’s kinda a failure

I don't think this is the case at all. It's a different feel than the first one, for sure, and sure there's stuff I wish they had kept in but in no way is it a disappointment for me. It loving owned hard and was incredible experience. I think the reason the pacing actually was good, was because of all of the things that were cut out. The pacing was one of the strengths! But that was the compromise, it came at the expense of things like Thufir and the mentats, Alia, the navigators, the added intrigue with the houses and guild, etc.

The pacing absolutely was not bad. The downside was all of the things cut in order to keep the film moving -- but it's hard for me not to agree with the decisions given how good the outcome was.

It's 10/10 as a movie. It's maybe like, 8/10 purely as a Dune adaptation. This was a deliberate choice.

Really after thinking more on it, the place where I felt let down was the soundtrack. Dune Part 1 had some pretty amazing and distinctive tracks. Dune Part 2 feels like stock Hans Zimmer that could have been from any movie, interwoven with some of the themes from Part 1 here and there, but nothing like the standouts from Part 1. I miss Johann Jóhannsson.

ephori fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 3, 2024

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

If Frank Herbert had lived I think it would have been something more interesting, but ultimately what it amounts to is a series of endless potential threats, an unending line of barbarian invaders, each in turn invading, and then being integrated into, the core. Thesis (stability) + Antithesis (violent invasion) = Synthesis (integration). That was Leto's ultimate Golden Path: an unending Hegelian dialectic with an ever-expanding universe of new and terrible ideas. It's the ultimate antidote to prescience: a constant influx of new ideas.

This is great.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

isn't the lasgun/shield thing not that shooting a lasgun at a shield will cause a nuclear explosion but that it might? like there's a 50/50 chance. or am i remembering that wrong?

I think it was 50/50 for whether it’s shooter or target that explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It kinda surprised me reading it the week before seeing Dunc 2 just how breezy it was. Herbert is pretty oblique in a lot of the in-universe descriptions and obviously there's a reason the first few chapters are just Paul going to school (lol) but the characters are constantly telling the reader exactly how they feel and what they think, and the plot is basically Lawrence of Space Arabia. If you get super hung up on not totally understanding every detail it's going to be a tough time but then I think most books would be borderline unreadable if that were the case.

It pleases me that we live in a world where Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and Dune have all had extremely popular adaptations. Waiting patiently for something like Vacuum Diagrams or Accelerando to enter the cultural imagination (upload those lobsters already).

Accelerando would be so dope.