Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Also the trailer kinda spoils the entire plot of the first half of the novel.

I like how the shields look.

Isn't the movie just the first half of the book or do I have that backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, the movie is the first half. The trailer straight up tells you Arrakis is a trap and that Leto is going to lose it. Weird choice!

Yeah that's dumb but I wonder how liberally they're using first half. There's not really a climax in there so I imagine they're going to rearrange some things.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Love the redesign of the sand worms. Looking like an eye really feels like a clever touch and I'm surprised no one else has thought to do that

Is it an eye? I think it's actually very clear that they changed it from a peepee to a poopoo hole.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Was the guy coming out of the goo stellan skarsgard as baron harkonnen???

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Abner Assington posted:

Trailer in general looks amazing, agree re: desaturation, but that's a thing that can be (and hopefully has been) changed.

In general, I'm not a Jason Momoa fan (or at least of his films--he seems like a genuinely good dude at least), but holy poo poo, he really is the perfect casting for Duncan Idaho, isn't he?

It really looks very on brand for Villeneuve to be honest. If anything Blade Runner is the most colourful movie he's made. Incendies and Sicario were also filmed in deserts and had very muted colours.

He also really, really loves silhouettes, and I'm not surprised that I counted at least 6 in the trailer alone.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cacator posted:

2049 had a ton of eye imagery too, although it was building off of the original.

So did Prisoners

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Simiain posted:

I mean, as opposed to what, the Wizard of Oz technicolor of Arrival or Sicario or bloody Bladerunner???

People seem to be hyped or willing to forgive it because its Villeneuve, but at the same time worried about the most distinctively Villeneuve aspect of it.

As I said before 2049 is easily his most colourful film and also his most watched so it's not shocking people are surprised. During daytime scenes his colours are muted even when well-lit and sunny, during night time scenes it's very heavy on the shadows and lots of silhouettes.

Sicario was full of stuff like this:

(great scene)

Arrival (these are admittedly extremely cherry-picked since I only had the trailer to go off of):

Prisoners was a little brighter but still had a lot of silhouette shots and very muted colors.

Enemy:

I think the Las Vegas scene in Blade Runner is what most people pictured when they thought about Dune, so I don't think it's shocking that they are upset. But I think based on his body of work that the answer to "I can barely see the worm" is "he doesn't really want you to", and you can think that's bad or good but it's intentional.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

trucutru posted:

Look at this dude:

Does he seem like a weapons master in the far future or a modern guy in slacks and a french breton shirt with a large fitbit at a posh hotel?

That’s really bad lol

Not all most of the costuming was not this egregious though. I didn’t mind all the armour but that T-shirt is dumb as hell

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Back in the day sci fi writers just took foreign words and customs to make their worlds seem "alien". Obviously this is looked down on, especially when it maps 1:1 to a specific culture. Star Wars is especially bad for that. I do think Dune does it a lot more respectfully but it's just a risk you don't want to take these days.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

phasmid posted:

Why is taking it on a "risk" necessarily? I think thematically it works because Herbert himself said that Dune had a lot of metaphor. Making the Fremen Christian for instance would feel completely off, because the Empire doesn't represent the Roman Empire as much as the American.

e. Like, the story in the fist book (sociopolitically) is mostly just a big critique of colonialism

I totally agree, and the word Jihad specifically is fine IMO because it's an english word as well now. I do think that all the fake arabic and hebrew words in the book can trigger a backlash and accusations of either appropriation or xenophobia. The fact that there are no actual muslim actors in the main cast won't help. But then again they let Star Wars 9 have a bunch of dancing african aliens so maybe I'm overestimating hollywood studios' fears of getting cancelled.

I probably should've quoted the post I was thinking of when I was responding because it wasn't so much the "Jihad" debate as it was this:

Yadoppsi posted:

It actually seems like they are backing away from alot of the Islamic elements of the book. I hope its just a misdirect for the trailers and sneak peaks.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Feyd should be in part two and it should be Machine Gun Kelly. He is the Yang to Chalamet's Yin.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

gohmak posted:

Is there another movie that splits a book into two movies other than Mockingjay?

The last Harry Potter

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

:hellyeah:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Alright, who do you all have for Feyd, beautiful Feyd?

Harry Styles? Bill Skarsgard? Steven Yuen? Ezra Miller?

Machine Gun Kelly

He was pretty good as Tommy Lee in the Motley Crüe movie and he’s very hateable. He’d make a great bad guy.
Skarsgard would be a great choice as well though.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

El Grillo posted:

I really hope they're not trying to force them to get it done by October 2023 because... that isn't happening, right? Not without it being a mess.

Who knows what’s already been done or was planned. If the writing is mostly done I could see it happening, but wouldn’t be surprised if it slipped.

IT Chapter 2 was a similar timeline iirc.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Not exactly a great example of them getting it right though lol

Haha I thought about mentioning that, but from a production standpoint it seemed pretty tight - I thought the problems were pretty much all in the script. It seemed more uninspired than rushed.

edit: Thinking back there was some bad CGI but I remember that being a problem in both movies.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I liked the choreography but the lack of blood was kind of distracting. I knew it was PG (:canada:) going in and I have no issue with that, but seeing Duncan slit someone's throat and just have them fall down took me out of it a little.

Starks fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 27, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not a shy hulud

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

2house2fly posted:

The shield effects in the Lynch film were really cool, but the thought of dozens of people fighting each other while covered in those crystal cubes makes my head hurt.

E: the red shield signifying the kill in this is neat, though I also think it probably doesn't make much sense. If the shield is glowing then it knows something is there, so why can't it block it?

That sounds like AI…off to whatever they call jail in the duneverse.

I assumed that the color is just a sensor telling the user something penetrated the field. Like a car warning light.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The voice in the vision also says “when you take another’s life, you take your own...”

I think it’s a ~Paul the Man must kill off Paul the Boy~ kind of deal.

That’s clear afterwards, but if you haven’t read the book (or don’t remember it, as in my case) that scene reads like Paul is about to die. I thought that he was going to come back Jesus style though, he is a Messiah after all.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Martman posted:

From a Dune wiki:

Domhnall Gleeson, to continue his movie pairing with Oscar Isaac? (well... except for... you know, the timing, but maybe in a flashback)

I think it’s gonna be someone like Daniel Kaluuya. Popular recent academy award winner that can act their rear end off in a few scenes. And I think he could pull off “old guy that looks young” better than an actual old guy who looks young. I think Villeneuve doesn’t care about making details like hair colour for secondary characters true to the book, that would be a little too restrictive.

There’s not that many new characters for them to add in the sequel from what I understand, and with some of the big names dead they’re going to want to replace them with actors that will draw a crowd.

Edit: On second thought, "Spice makes you look 40 years younger" might be a tricky concept to pull off in a film, so I wouldn't be surprised if they mostly ignore it and go for an older actor with some make-up.

Starks fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 4, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Martman posted:

I just feel like Shaddam, and ultimately the entire Corrino family, are best expressed as kind of disappointing and lamer than you'd expect.

Uh oh, the Jared Leto prophecy is becoming stronger...

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

“Vladimir” played by a Swede and the rest of the harkonnens also miscast…Hollywood getting a little too comfortable with slavface after Black Widow and Borat. Hopefully the actor for Feyd will at least be Orthodox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

porfiria posted:

Don't have anything to add at the moment, but thanks for the Good Post. Worth a million boring takes on the Laser Guns.

Is it though. They somehow saw a cut of the movie that doesn’t include Jessica at all

Ej: if you like a third person omniscient narrative format where you’re rapidly switching from one characters POV to another, boy have I got the book for you

Starks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 4, 2021