System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just have a real, real bad feeling that this is heading for another Blade Runner 2049-esque box office bomb for Villeneuve and he won't get to make Part II. BR2049 was marketed as this action-packed sci-fi thriller, when it was a nearly three-hour-long exploration of the human condition. And audiences turned on it, hard. Dune is being marketed as ... an action-packed sci-fi thriller, when it's going to be a 2.5-hour-long exploration of sociopolitical machinations, the dangers of charismatic leaders, the threat of blind nationalism, and it's going to be a whole lot talkier than the trailers have been making it out to be. Near as I can tell, that trailer had bits of every major action sequence in the first half of the book--not that there are a ton, Dune isn't exactly an action-filled book to begin with.

I just have this horrible gut feeling that its second-weekend box office will tank and we'll never see the second part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

when did that change? It was listed with all the other HBO streaming releases for months.

edit: Dune is still listed on this page https://www.hbomax.com/same-day-premieres

Yeah, Villeneuve and Legendary raised holy hell about the day-and-date streaming thing, but WB is the final arbiter of distribution and held firm that it's going to HBO Max the same day as theaters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Is it still a secret of who's playing Feyd in the movie?

I believe it's been confirmed that Feyd is not in Part 1.