Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
If we're fan casting then I want Gilbert Gottfried to be the Emperor

"Y'know, is it just me or are people obsessed with the spice?? MelANGE - they gotta have it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Not really a fan of the costuming. It's just so... generic. Has no personality.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1250124710953619456

Could be that the really bad lighting is obscuring the details or there aren't any to speak of.

"Big young adult lit energy" lmao that's savage

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah that would be pretty dumb if they had lasers but just preferred swords.

So like us

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I think peeps can manage their expectations of SFX/acting if they always keep in mind that dune is a space opera about drugged out mutant witches stabbing each other

Killer voice machines are a great addition!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Rando posted:

Again, nobody wants to see Salvador Dali poo poo into a glass dolphin.

:wrong:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It took many years of preparation, but now at last, Steven Seagal can do his impersonation of Will Sasso as Steven Seagal

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It actually means exactly the same thing as now and he gets the same people who think they're the funniest gently caress that ever lived with their potato jokes.

All fantasy epics have to include a taters scene

More important than Wilhelm screams

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Or else ... what?

Why would it break records?

Edit: like it's pretty rare for SciFi/Fantasy movies to actually 'bust the block' as it were, but as long as it's a good film who cares!

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 19, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

All of Ridley Scott's director cuts are superior. Across the board. I can't think of another director where this is the case. Maybe Zack Snyder?

Legend is a wash, both versions do some things better than the other

Can't remember which cut is hornier, probably Scott's lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Shall I tell you a great secret of the world?

There's no such thing as reliable narrators

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not a public reason but the Emperor's stated reason was because the Beast's oppressive rule had been disruptive and the Duke would bring order if I'm remembering right which would explain "bring peace to Arrakis".

Yeah everyone wants the spice to flow better

But the emperor knows that the baron used Rabban to be distruptive on purpose, so that he could punish him and reward Leto with a trap he couldn't refuse, because the emperor also wants the Duke gone cuz he's a potential usurper

Re: new trailer

Still not sold on the plainness of the costumes but it's obviously supposed to reflect the stark landscapes as well as modern irl clothes & body armour so w/e and everything else looks pretty cool

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Yes, exactly. In the book it’s explained that the Atreides are cultivating a fighting force that could soon challenge the Emperor’s Sardauker. Shaddam sends the Atreides to Arrakis to eliminate them and it backfires spectacularly when Paul finds an even better fighting force.

A huge part of the fun in dune is that everyone is totally aware of the extent of each other's convoluted schemes and goals, minus an individual asset or two (stilgar, yueh)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Helmets aren't skin tight, his head just moved a bit lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Don’t underestimate the star power of Chalamet, Zendaya, Momoa and the rest.

BR2049 was a 30+ year sequel to a fairly culty SF film. 14 year olds who weren’t up to date on early 80s sci-fi weren’t gonna tune into that. Dune doesn’t have that baggage- you can go see Dune without any knowledge of the book. BR2049 didn’t have that advantage.

(Plus br2049 was kinda middling)

Neither blade runners require reading the book to enjoy or make sense of

BR2 had Ryan Gosling and Harrison loving Ford, those two alone is way more "star draw" than new dune, not to mention the rest of the cast

This is a remake of a culty 80's movie, not sure it really has any more advantage than a sequel does

I'm not saying it for sure will flop, I hope it's a hit! But we should prepare for the worst, as the genre predicates

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

That's like saying lotr was a remake of a culty 70s cartoon, while ignoring the massive source material fan base. Lynch version of dune was pretty horrible.

It was! But that doesn't ignore it's source, plus Jackson's series take influences from the larger genre beyond the books anyways (hence Scottish dwarves from Warcraft and Vulcan elves from star trek)

Disagree about lunch but :shrug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Didn't this entire conversation begin with the question of what the baron gained for the cost of 60 years worth of spice mining?

Can't put a price on kanly

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Vincent posted:

The Baron, while possessing her, convinces/makes her sleep with some guys to have them work for her. Before this, it's said that she's loving up the ecosystem of Dune (this is Paul's fault to be fair) and kind of a poo poo ruler as well.

Yeah Alia grows increasingly depraved and cuckolds Duncan Idaho until Leto 2 tells her to kill herself

It's a fun book

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Yueh knows that his wife died horribly, likely early after being kidnapped. He also knows he won't survive the hand off. He tells Leto all that when he gives the atreides the stinky tooth.

The moment the baron approached him yueh knew he and his wife were dead - everything he does is an attempt at revenge.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

YoursTruly posted:

Aren't the Fremen and Kynes the ones to save Paul and Jessica? Is Whites Being Saved a genre?

I don't know if dune can be properly summarized as a white saviour story but are some of y'all really gonna pretend like the concept is impossible to understand?

"John carter's life/freedom is occasionally saved by other characters, therefore . ."

Like c'mon, have some self respect

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Big rear end worm man with hotties suckling my lsd flaps doesn't sound so bad

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Skeletome posted:

you are the penis at that point

With mind powers like that you won't need genitals

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

First Marty, then Eddie Murphy, now Denis??

Spiderman is my friend, please stop bullying him

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

I might see this again tomorrow with a buddy who hasn't yet. Should I look out for something special on second viewing

Every time Shadout Mapes is on screen shout out "that's Mapes!"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The bene gesserit also use sex to manipulate/control as early as the first book, the matres just perfected the techniques supposedly

I'd say skip heretics & Chapterhouse

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sure his women characters are literally manipulative witches obsessed with the perfect man, but at least they have speaking lines!

Instead of abolishing the prison planets, we should just hire more women sardukar

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I never read it that way. If that was the Harkonnen plan, it backfired horribly -- seeing Leto dismiss the spice haul as meaningless and risk the lives of his retainers, son, and own self to save workers he doesn't even know is what tips Liet over from "another fuckin' outworlder" to "...huh, do I maybe actually like these people?" My read on it was always that the spice business is under general sabotage and rather than getting to see a standard job, Leto and company get to see the fuckery firsthand, but it's nothing anyone did, or could have, predicted.

Baron and even the Emperor could predict that reaction easily, they have mentat/Benne Gesserit advisors plus Leto's benevolent touch is why the Emperor wants him dead

I don't think the Baron planned it specifically - all the sabotage and traps aren't expected to work, just keep the atreides distracted so they don't consider or properly prepare for a full scale imperial invasion

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly it looks really cool, but if it wasn't directed by David Lynch it would have no fanboy cachet and would be remembered the same way as like Flash Gordon or Barbarella

Wtf all 3 of these movies are dope as hell

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Dunc was decent; I prefer the weirdness and ornate baroque style of Lynch and the miniseries, but at least this one has the novelty of a totally different look. It's very well made technically but I agree with the criticisms that it's too bare bones in terms of plot and character. I wasn't bored but there's not much going on, hence everyone asking about that spider-gimp aka the most interesting thing in the film.

Hopefully there is a longer cut someday!

Edit: worst thing I can say about it is the violence is super YA and no one drinks any piss

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

GORDON posted:

They drink spit coffee though.

That and Spider-Gimp were the best

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I like all the dunes I've seen so far; Dune, Frank Herbert's Dune, Dunc

But Lynch's is still the best, uneven as it is

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

sigher posted:

I'm honestly curious about what you have to say rather than read gotchas, thanks.

Welcome to the nerd discourse, the rules are simple:

Disliking the thing I like? That's a trolling.

Liking the thing I dislike? That's a trolling too.

Liking what I like or disliking what I dislike, but in a different way than I do? Oh you better BELIEVE that's a trolling!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Re: extended cuts, part 2

Folks should temper their hopes with the knowledge that the studio making these decisions is WB

If there's a way to gently caress it up (and bonus, harm some employees) they won't be able to resist taking it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

The only choice to play the Emperor is Werner Herzog.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

j.peeba posted:

For the sequel I sincerely hope that they fix and retcon every single complaint in this thread

Kynes lifts her head from out of the sand "actually I lied when I said it was just sweat - that's pee & poo your drinking"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

Heavy vibes of George Lucas circa prequels.

I wish!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

LionArcher posted:

problems with the best film of the year? Because it's a fantastic film.

It's solid, but easily the "worst" I've seen in theatres

Green knight and last duel are both better

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Re: mentats
Book Thufir ain't a genius, he's just technocrat. Hence his lack of imagination - the plan to make Feyd popular that he sells the baron on is the same one he and Leto were gonna do with Paul

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you definitely did not see the last duel

I love how salty this thread is! Like I dunno what neuoromancer even is but this:

Dracula Factory posted:

Hey maybe I like it for reasons you don't understand? It's art? Grow up.

:discourse:

I enjoyed Dunc . . . but apparently not enough to keep from becoming a racist and/or rapist, lol

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Chani better get naked like in the goddamn 2000 miniseries

also they better not cut out the spice orgy

It's pg 13 dude, chill

And not the edgy pg 13, the YA pg 13

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

sean10mm posted:

He's a character widely seen in-universe as an absolutely terrifying Master of Assassins, not just some glorified clerk at the top of a bureaucracy. LIke even the bad guys say in effect, "What the gently caress do we even do about this guy?"

The book does a lot of having other people tell us how great and scary Hawat is while having him eat poo poo when it counts though. I'd call this bad writing but uh Dune is nothing but super awesome cool dudes just eating poo poo over and over so it's really a running theme.

I mean, flippant shitposting in what's supposed to be at least a somewhat serious/sincere film discussion subform is going to aggravate people, yes.

Yeah so are all the mentats. The baron pretty easily gets him on board by just saying "it was Jessica, lol". I would say that dune is full of fun characters Thufir being one of them - but most of them are bad people and fairly uncool.

And I mean the accusations and strawmanning of peeps who didn't feel the exact same way about a scif/fantasy movie. It's not trolling to sincerely disagree with someone else! But it's ok, nerd blockbusters often cause these sort of reactions and it's endlessly entertaining - I just hope no one gets too upset or has a bad time.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Thufir's not "on board" he's explicitly out to ratfuck the Baron the whole time he's pretending to be working for him.

Ratfuck him with Feyd, yes. He hates the harkonens and the emperor obviously, but they are the only tools he has to work with. Regardless of motivation, he chooses to keep mentating for them, he could have killed himself at any time if he was more honourable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Did we read the same book? Hawat had no idea that Paul was the Muad'Dib that he was helping the harkonnen fight, and when he found out he immediately killed himself rather than harm Paul.

Yes? I'm talking about how he reacted to his capture by the harkonens. Like Yueh, he chose attempted revenge over honourable death. It's clear the baron knows that everyone except maybe Piter wants him dead - but he stays a couple steps ahead of his heirs/rivals/underlyings by playing them off each other.

sean10mm posted:

Smugly being slightly wrong seems to be their gimmick today.

:ironicat: