Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jewmanji posted:

I'm not that much more sanguine than you, but I do think it stands a better chance than Blade Runner because of the ensemble cast, and the fact that seeing the film Dune won't require any familiarity with the story. BR2049 is a sequel to a cult film that preceded it by 35 years. Dune also presents as an epic, optimistic fantasy tale, which is more palatable than a dreary, cynical detective film.

I agree with you about Messiah though. As long as Dune is going to be split into 2 films, Messiah would make a great third act.

I'm hesitant to endorse this because, while you are careful to say "presents" and I see that, Dune really isn't optimistic until you take the fourth book into consideration and the consequences of functional prescience are addressed and disarmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't mind bland if the alternative is the cavalcade of stupid hats from the miniseries, tbh

edit: that tbh was not meant to mock the guy above me, who has a pretty great point about going hog in other designs tho

the costuming is the best thing about the miniseries, get the hell outta here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also while i don't necessarily advocate for "true to the books" as a guiding principle, if they were, stillsuit masks are supposed to make it impossible to hold a conversation (except by sign language)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Books five and six are interesting disasters, which is more than I can say for anything his son wrote, but they both leak Frank Herbert's weird libertarian politics even worse than the first four and they're basically the first two entries in a trilogy that was never finished by anyone competent.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've never seen the Lynch movie or the miniseries. I'm not sure if I want to.

the miniseries is slavishly faithful to the book, i think the only significant thing they changed is, like, a couple of Leto's lines got moved to Paul to help compensate for the fact that he's being played by a 26-year-old instead of a teenager and make him seem more involved in the Atreides family affairs

i have nostalgia for it and i genuinely love the costuming but it's a mixed bag at best in all other respects

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Please. Super Mario Brothers: The Movie is the best video game adaptation of all time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cacator posted:

This. Nothing has topped it in 25 years. It has exactly the right tonal balance for a video game movie. Detective Pikachu was fine, but it's a kids movie and doesn't aspire to be anything more than that. I'm assuming Sonic is in the same vein.

Yeah, but by this standard Mortal Kombat is an goofy 90's action film and doesn't aspire to be anything more than that -- so unless those are inherently better than kids' movies, it's not really saying much.

I'm dead serious when I nominate SMB:TM, because it is unmistakably a video game movie and nothing else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Xealot posted:

Right? I didnít realize peopleís reception to it was so lukewarm. I thought it was great, really playful with the setting, basically the closest thing to a modern-day Roger Rabbit Iíve seen in years.

"Closest thing" is true, but damning with faint praise. It's way too coy and afraid to commit to its premise to be a real successor to Roger Rabbit, although it has its moments. (Like the human-passing ditto bit.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MasqueradeOverture posted:

We would've never gotten Star Wars either.

so what you're saying is it would be worth it

plus maybe in that universe Species is the actually-good horror franchise with H. R. Giger designs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's a little of both. you can't manipulate and control an extinct species

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Sounds like it has potential, maybe add some sort of conflict.

What if the protagonist is secretly a bastard and is actually closely related to his own worst enemy?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I always got the impression that, outside of the Harkonnen and maybe the Imperial court, the Dune universe was in more of a long period of stagnation rather than the decadence of incipient collapse. In that sense, a relatively subdued aesthetic makes sense.

This is completely separate from my desire for weird sci-fi aesthetics for their own sake, of course.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Probably be something terrible like dune rising or shadow of dune

Dune: In Donuts

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Disney couldn't possibly do Dune dirtier than Brian Herbert, so whatever.

ehh

if anyone can, it's Disney

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

phasmid posted:

Alien 3 is proof that David Fincher is a better director than Scotty Riddle.

i like Alien 3 better than like 95% of this subforum and even i wouldn't go that far

it's only the second-best Alien movie after Prometheus, after all

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 10, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It's effectively the third in a trilogy with Alien and Blade Runner.

Right. Ridley Scott's aesthetic as a director is infinitely more interesting, and more cohesive, than any amount of shared universe nonsense.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Mule and the Foundation also have a somewhat similar dynamic to Paul and the Bene Gesserit, although the Mule is sterile, so he doesn't derail their plans quite as hard as Paul fathering Leto II did.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

It might not be four-quadrant but Dune is a very basic heroes journey story. Its another thing that Lucas, err, cribbed for Star Wars.

does it still count as "basic" if the hero's journey in question was being engineered as a highly artificial socio-political tool by other characters in the story

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Are you saying Luke's basic hero's journey in star wars wasn't?

Luke is the product of literal prophecy, not social engineering (well, social engineering plus prophecy, given how the BG work ).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

so i got into an argument with someone who was really nasty to me about this topic (possibly provoked by an urge to defend Frank Herbert's honor, because it was tangentially related to whether he was homophobic or not), but they raised an interesting point and I thought I'd run it by people who aren't quite so deeply invested

Namely: do you think Paul and Leto II's understanding of the Golden Path is actually accurate? That is, were Leto's 3500 years of tyranny followed by his suicide at Siona's hands actually necessary for humanity to survive, and more broadly, are his insights into human behavior, history, and culture supposed to be diegetically true or just the ramblings of an insane tyrant?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Iím not sure what the answer is, but Iím curious about how this became such a heated topic. Asking whether Leto II is a reliable narrator seems like a great question?

A different, third person asked why Frank Herbert had a reputation for being homophobic (besides writing the Baron Harkonnen, who is conceivably just a monster who happens to be gay), I replied with a passage from God-Emperor where Leto says that gay men are all inherently sadistic, and someone got really upset that I implied Leto's beliefs might reflect Frank Herbert's. Then they kind of drifted from there to "nothing at all that Leto says should be taken seriously, the whole novel is a satire of how fascism is unsustainable" and from there to the question I just posed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Is Mulholland Drive worth a watch? I've skipped over it a few times, but I should probably give it a go one day.

god yes, it owns. i kind of wish we lived in a universe where Mulholland Drive got three seasons and Twin Peaks was just a weird one-off pilot-turned-movie