Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Rumor/spoiler stuff:

Hearing that Alia isn't really in it and therefore doesn't kill the Baron, and also hearing that Paul and Chani don't have (and then lose) their first baby is kinda disappointing as I think both of these things are really significant events in the lives of multiple characters. I think the movie sounds really good otherwise but those have put a damper on my expectations a bit. I think I can see the reasons for both decisions but will find out on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Regarding the omission of Leto 1, I think this was absolutely the correct decision. It's weird enough in the books, but it'd be doubly weird to insert a baby into the film only to kill it offscreen. Paul is already experiencing enough grief from the death of his other friends and loved ones, I don't think killing his baby son would really add anything to the movie. From what I gather, the ending of the film is notably dark (even for people familiar with the book), so it sounds like it won't be lacking for tragedy.

Alia on the other hand, that's a heartbreaking omission for me.

Re; Leto II the First, yeah I can see the reasoning, but if I remember rightly Paul barely reacts to it because he's so Kwizats-brained by that point so I wondered how that would pan out on screen. I think what you're saying is right in that there's plenty of opportunity for that anyway.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Is it a foregone conclusion that we're getting big screen Dune: Messiah? Seems like this is going to be v succesful.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Is there any facsimile or exploration of the idea that Paul can't fully see the future yet, particularly because the one person he couldn't see (Count Fenring) appears to have been written out?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I suppose the stakes are already incredibly high.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah that part hurts my soul. It's perhaps a close second to the reunion of Gurney and Paul, which thank God wasn't erased. I mentioned earlier in the thread but it's a pivotal plot point that the Emperor sends two people in his retinue in a row to kill Paul, the first dying at his feet from loyalty and then the best fighter being knifed in the brain. It drives home a point that Shaddam is completely out of options to contain him.

Plus it's an emotional moment with a crazy amount of time for payoff. Sucks that Dennis did us dirty.

It's actually three. Thufir is sent, then Feyd, then he asks Count Fenring to kill Paul. Paul cannot see Fenring because yes, he's a failed Kwizatz Haderach. I think if I remember rightly Paul sees the showdown with the Emperor as a nexus in his prescience that he can't see through, that it could all go awry for him. I think at first he puts it down to Guildsmen being there, but realises that it's Fenring. Fenring also sees himself in Paul, and refuses to kill him. Fenring is also one of the deadliest fighters and could have taken Paul, possibly.

Checking the book quickly:

quote:

"The Emperor's errand boy, Paul thought. And the thought was a shock crashing across his conciousness because he had seen the Emperor in uncounted associations spread through the possible futures - but never once had Count Fenring appeared within those prescient visions. It occurred to Paul then that he had seen his own dead body along countless reaches of the time web, but never once had he seen his moment of death.

Have I been denied a glipse of this man because he is the one who kills me? Paul wondered."

quote:

The Count focused on Paul, seeing with eyes his Lady Margot had trained in the Bene Gesserit way, aware of the mystery and hidden grandeur about this Atredies youth.
I could kill him, Fenring thought- and he knew this for a truth.

quote:

Paul, aware of some of this from the way the time nexus boiled, understood at least why he had never seen Fenring along the webs of prescience. Fenring was one of the might-have-beens, an almost-Kwizats Haderach, crippled by a flaw in the genetic pattern

Then, Fenring refuses to kill him and the Emperor slaps him.

I think this would be really hard to get across on screen but eh, it's cool poo poo.

edit: its also weird you all can't remember him. Maybe you are prescient. They're p important characters, him and Margot (who is in the film?) considering what Fenring could have done.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 29, 2024

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I hope Denis inexplicably borrows the bit from Lynch where Paul just magically makes it rain.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Despite my reservations over the changes I thought it was fantastic and a worthy adaptation. It's its own thing. I think giving Chani much more agency was brilliant and Zendaya kills it.

I didn't expect Giedi Prime scenes to be the most visually impressive, but on reflection they really stand out.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I can't be arsed to travel to LieMax in a different town, plus don't really have the time, but I wish I could. The screen I saw it on had a horrible multicoloured moire on it, like when you wipe a monitor with a wet cloth. So any scenes with white had this pattern that was hard not to focus on.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

He's right though, one or two lines from a guildsman telling the emperor to shut the gently caress up and he isn't bluffing was all there was in the book anyway.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

How can the Golden Path be ideological if you have no free will. It's the one series of events that doesn't lead to extinction, the choice is follow it or accept extinction. It's utterly pre-determined, that's the horror of being the Kwisatz Haderach and the hubris of the BG for ever thinking they could control it.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I'm a bit lost as to why you think Yueh would appear in this film?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I find the choices around Gaius Helen Mohaim in this film to be quite interesting.

In this, and by extension Part 1, she is actively egging the Emperor on to destroy House Atreides. The Emperor didn't really need another excuse - Duke Leto and his predecessors were clever enough in how they were bringing the best people to them to train their armies, they were a true upstart and starting to threaten his position.

Then again, perhaps the Reverend Mother is only subtly suggesting to the Emperor to take them out, it's neither here nor there.

What is interesting is that she explicitly says they're too headstrong and needed to be liquidated entirely from the Breeding Programme. That's weird. I'm pretty sure in the books the BG are very active in Imperial polictics but were actively dismayed that they were about to lose one if not more (see; above post about losing both Feyd and Paul) lines to this conflict. That is why Fenring leaves those notes (in the books) and that is why in Part 1 Mohaim says "on Arrakis we've done everything for you" and is talking about Paul going "into the fire" due to Jessica's hubris.

But Denis does also choose to have her go to Giedi Prime to tell the Baron to back the gently caress off from Paul and Jessica. Why? If she wanted to liquidate that line entirely she needed both of them gone.

I think someone else posted about this and said maybe she simply wanted the bloodline, but shorn from the "defiant" nature of the House overall? Being a Bene Gesserit she would know that the damage is done to Paul in terms of his temperament, though I guess they would have the seed to try again on his offspring.

I genuinely mean it's an interesting choice. I'm not sure it is a plothole, though at first glance it sort of looked like one.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Who is the dark skinned Fremen in Paul's visions? Talking about how he has a ways to go and all that.

Is it just a random Fremen representing his people? Or a character I completely missed? I have actual face blindness.

It's Jamis

edit: spoiler tags! This is not discord.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I thought the mentats chanting while looking at the map was a nice touch. I want a bunch of those guys to sit in my house, I'd install Doom on them.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

checkplease posted:

Why would you ever take an Ornithopter when you can travel in style on a sandworm. Anyone can just ride in a machine, only the cool can ride the worm.

Chani wouldn't be an ornithopter chump.

I'm the book she arrives by ornithopter to revive Paul. They think he's been poisoned and she's the one who works out that he's taken the water of life. Prior to this everyone is loving confused cause this is the stuff that famously fucks up men.

Anyway she needs to get there quickly, hence the thopter. They are still faster than worms.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The best thing about the harkonnen lasers was the whine they have when they recharge then the "click click beep" chirping presumably to say they are ready again. That was a tiny detail but I appreciated it a lot.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, they’re called out as representatives. Not seeing navigators is in line with the first book, fwiw. We don’t get any hints of their fishlike appearance until Messiah.

There are non-fishlike Navigators, they're in the books and I assume the spice-helmet dudes in Part 1 are that type. The other helmeted guys shown on screen appear when they say "members of the Imperial Court", so it's weird they got rid of that kind of look for the Emperor's retinue in Part 2.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Here's a quote from Walken in an interview for Dune Part 2

quote:

I remember the first time I had to play a king, I said to another actor, I said "how am I gonna play a king, I'm from Queens. I grew up in the neighbourhood". He said "don't worry about it, the king is seen by reflection". He said "you'll be a king by the way people treat you" and I thought that was wise, and I thought about it with this. That I didn't have to try to be the Emperor, that I'd just rely on Denis and the beautiful sets and the costumes and.. that if people treated me like the Emperor then I'd be okay. So that's how I approached it.

So uh yeah, he didn't have to try to be the emperor.

edit: just watched that interview with him. He says at the end it will take him time to make peace with some of the changes he had to make, vs the vision he had as a teenager reading the books. I appreciate that a lot.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

There was something about the whole Giedi Prime bit, I think the announcer's voice and alien language plus obviously the subject matter, that reminded me of the loving podracing scene in Epsiode 1. They even have Jabba (the Baron). It was like an extremely hosed up, adult version of that.

Now I'm thinking maybe this is more Lucas cribbing from Dune again, who knows.

edit: Feyd Rautha, sticking his tongue out after murking a dude: now this is podracing

edit again: if they did an adaptation of Blindsight/Echopraxia we could do a round 2 on people wanting to be like the vampires from Twilight but absolutely insane.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 24, 2024