Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

david_a posted:

I'm re-reading The Dosadi Experiment and so far it's living up to my memories of it being extremely dense (but short!). It feels like a tangent on the evolution of the Sardukar (none of Frank's books get into much detail about Salusa Secundus, do they?). This time around I've also read The Whipping Star which helps with some of the references to alien species & tech, but that book had a pretty goofy antagonist. This seems to be one of his better regarded non-Dune books; are there others that people would recommend?

I'll second Hellstrom's Hive. It's a form of 70's-style dystopian ecological sci-fi. I'll also second The Godmakers. Between the Godmakers and The Dosadi Experimment, you can see Herbert playing with major building blocks of Dune.

The Heaven Makers is ok.... kind of goofy. I liked Soul Catcher, which is a different kind of novel for Herbert. I recommend it. On the other hand, I've tried twice to get into the Santaroga Barrier and have been unable to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
It will be a musical.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

The_Doctor posted:

Humanity in the year 10,000 should look utterly alien and weird, and I'm not really getting that vibe yet. It's like 2500 at best.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
So mankind in the future is going to forgo the functionality of the basic t-shirt for something with diagonal zippers and at least 15 pieces of flair? I'd say wait for pictures of the nobility in their formal wear before despairing that Tarsem didn't direct.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I seldom reread books, but I've read Dune three times. The first time I followed it with the other five. But the last two times I've only followed it up with Messiah.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The credits list Momoa near the bottom, tagged "with" Jason Momoa. His part isn't going to be expanded THAT much.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I think normally it would be more instructive to look outside of the Dune books alone to try to discern his views on any particular subject. Certainly the idea of sex as something purely biological and for procreation becomes something monstrous in Hellstrom's Hive, for instance. That said, of all the topics that seemed to fascinate Herbert and which he wrote about frequently, sex and sexuality doesn't seem to rank very high.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I didn't hear any ululation in the vocals. Is anything from a Middle-Eastern or North African musical tradition verboten, despite the logical shorthand connecting them to the imaginary Fremen?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Clearly, Eon needs to be on the soundtrack with this and this.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Michael Cera as Count Fenring.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Horizon Burning posted:

the marvel bots are out in force

Are these children, or man-childs? What a petty crew of philistines.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Jewmanji posted:

"Taraza leaned forward in her chairdog and scanned the Records Relay projecting its condensed Bene Gesserit glyphs above the tabletop for her eyes only. "Darwi Odrade," the display identified the standing woman, and then came the essential biography, which Taraza already knew in detail. The display served several purposes- it provided a secure reminder for the Mother Superior, it allowed an occasional delay for thought while she appeared to scan the records, and it was a final argument should something negative arise from this interview".

Sounds like a computer to me.

Sounds like a microfiche to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
It's been years since my last read, but iirc the Atreides are also popular with the small houses because they look out for the little guy (well, at least little-guy aristocracies) and don't just stomp all over them. Part of it is politicking and alliance-building, of course, but not all.