Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Honest Thief posted:

sand drum is what i heard

I'm rereading the book after seeing the movie and the planetologist explains both drum sand and sand eddies/pools, that's exactly what it was. FWIW I didn't catch that during the film itself and thought he had stepped over a fremen underground habitat.

Edit: I didn't catch a lot of poo poo in the movie because the dialogue is drowned out, like Jessica's "fear is the mind killer" mantra was something I could only tell was happening because I was already familiar with it; I wish it'd been clear enough for a new generation of viewers to pick up.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SpaceCadetBob posted:

My only real issue with the movie was that dialogue was hard to discern pretty frequently in the movie. Maybe it was watching it at home with not the best setup though.

I was in theatre and sound effects and the score would swell up to drown out dialogue. I remember it in the aforementioned scene and when they doing a flyby over the city and I could barely hear Gurney Halleck.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Could be two seated aircraft with a dedicated gunner guiding the missles, swat cat style.

Edit: or limited computers that don't create Skynet, yes, that's a much better answer.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 25, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Throughout the showing I was in my own Gom Jabbar, which as my increasingly panicked internal insistence that I recognized the actor for Baron Harkonnen. Here, at work, a day later, I finally remembered who he is and I can breathe again.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Regarding the Harkonnen, I don't think wanting All of the Money and living in a culture that prizes an appearance of austerity are mutually exclusive.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Are they gonna make Chalmette put on some muscle or is he gonna beat down that yoked out Harkonnen nephew while being smaller than his mom?

Edited: maybe I should be less cavalier about stuff that's gonna happen next movie, sorry

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 25, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

Doesn't help that the fight choreography was rear end.

I loved this movie, so this wasn't at the forefront of my mind while watching it, but now that I've had a few days of distance from the viewing I'm more and more comparing the melees in this movie to The Last Duel, and the comparison isn't flattering. The fight scenes in Dune are, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, like something out of a YA movie; they're some typical mediocre acrobatics and spinny strikes, lacking any of the visceral weight and violence showcased in The Last Duel. The knife fights are one of the weaker points of the film and it's a shame considering how central they are to the aesthetic.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 26, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I've definitely had it laid out to me in lock step before, but I can't rememer if that was in an undergrad writing class or just some poo poo a star wars fan cornered me about at a party :shrug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Passion barely covered any of the book!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HBO's Rome switched Octavian's actor to a beefier upgrade between seasons and had Marcus Agrippa explain to his mother that "army food agrees with him", but if Paul stays a string bean I guess I can't complain.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

I just imagined that melee-shieldfighting requires you throw a bit of kinetic impact into the opponent to get them to open their guard up.

Yeah, for all that I didn't like the fights, I will say It showed how you can still knock someone around with a shielded blow. I recall in Idaho's last fight there was clearly a combination of blows that started shielded and ended in a killing strike, and the shielded blows still had a purpose.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ooooo yeah he was good in Green Knight, in a way that feels like it will fit, and both he and Chalamet will look suitably youthful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Not to get too insufferably nerdy about it, but I don't think either the book or the movies give enough consideration to how different melee combat would be with or without shields. Going into Fremen backcountry, where they've grown up fighting without energy shields, should be as huge of a paradigm shift as when the Harkonnen reinvent artillery and the Atreides are like "well gently caress I've heard of artillery, like in books."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

No Mods No Masters posted:

I get being able to look past the knife fights, I mostly feel that way myself. But when the tension in the movie is always building up to a knife fight and the knife fight is always blah it's hard to say it doesn't lead to a structural problem

I have to agree, while the film is still great in spite of the medicore fights, it's not because the fights are a minor part of the film. I think I count a half dozen knife fight scenes?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

AndyElusive posted:

The knife fights with shields were fine. The vision knife fight was fine. The climactic knife fight was fine.

It feels like some people are grasping at things to dislike about this movie because Red Letter Media hasnt told everyone what to think about it yet.

That's a condescending way to dismiss a complaint. The fights involve a lot of spins, flips, and busy slashes and parries that don't read well. I also specifically compared it to another movie out now, the last duel, which has a very different style for the fights.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kurzon posted:

What do you mean by "generic flippy"?

I think you can point to a pretty run of the mill fight choreography where the actors trade a pitter patter of largely inconsequential blows until one them performs an acrobatic move, particularly a spin, a tumble, or a kind of thing where they roll over the back of a bent over opponent, and it's that acrobatic move that sets up the real killing strike. You see it a lot particularly in PG 13 action movies aimed at teens.

And its, you know its fine I guess, and that's the kind of movie Dune is in some ways, but in other aspects it's extremely good and it's a shame the fights aren't elevated to that higher level.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The combat is ritualized; you can see from the large scale battle scenes that they have clever sci fi ways of defeating shields that they could probably use on people. But the fighting in Dune's setting is constrained, defined by rules of conduct enforced by general consent; the Empire and the Great Houses specifically don't want Total War because everybody would get space nuked.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

That Dang Dad posted:

In fact, the film sets up Paul as a competent "leg grappler" twice before the final fight, great storytelling.

I caught that too and liked it, and yeah just because I don't care for the actual movement by movement shot by shot fight scenes doesn't mean that aren't well written in a broader sense. I also thought the cultural reaction to "do you yield" was nicely done, and the Fremen's frustrated rage when he thought he was being toyed with was well acted.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oh, here's something I thought of at the time and forgot to bring up until now .When I was far enough in the movie that I could see just how special it was going to be, especially when I saw the guild ship orbiting Caladan and the transport landing in the dark, I was reminded of how much Bethesda was influenced by Jackson's LotR for the visuals of the Ayelid ruins and a lot of the weapons and armor in Oblivion. Relatedly, Bethesda has a scifi game, Starfield, releasing next year. It's got to be too far along for them to make major changes in the art assets now, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Dune inspired DLC a year or two after release. This movie is so good looking, so strikingly unique, and also has enough broad appeal, that I think we've got to see some influence work it's way into games and shows over the next few years.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I bought the performance as the Baron being jaded. He's been accumulating unimaginable power for decades and he doesn't even seem that happy about it, he's the wasteful apex of an entire system of greed and ambition.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 28, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

This isn't meant to be a catty snipe at anyone, seriously it isn't, but these posts of "I didn't quite get x y z" remind me that a good movie rewards multiple viewings, and I think it's OK if various intricacies in the plot which are present but not highlighted are something people pick up in later viewings when the larger picture of the film is already in place. And I'm not smugly saying I'm the one true movie understander, it applies just as well to me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I dunno, naming someone after a US state in a US novel written in the 20th century is something that really stands out. I get what you mean about the legacy of words and how it might filter through time the same way as ancient last names today, but it's always rubbed me the wrong way.

When I read it as a dumb teen my take was that Duncan was such a bad rear end because he was basically a very rare future American, and existed in my mind as something between Rowdy Roddy Piper in They Live and Stallone in demolitions man, transplanted into Star Wars and not taking any poo poo.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Isn't Duncan Idaho in the book blasian?

I'll be honest even in my rereading I'm not doing a very good job of recalling descriptions of ethnicity, I can vaguely recall someone was described as having epicanthic folds but not who. Teenage me assuming Duncan Idaho is probably wrenching on a Chevy Nova somewhere in the Artreides compound is not supported in the text.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

That particular part, which I just reread last night, takes way too long highlighting what's going on, and you can really feel the author writing for a younger reader who might need a little longer to connect these dots.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Blood Boils posted:

Re: mentats
I love how salty this thread is! Like I dunno what neuoromancer even is but this:

The accusation that OP hadn't seen The Last Duel isn't salt, it's because he said the rape is depicted three times when it's only depicted in the accounts of the attacker and victim. In the first version Jean De Carrouges, the husband, is away at the time and he, and the audience following along with him, only learn of the event after the fact. So it seems like OP maybe just saw the trailer and vaguely knows there's a Rashomon framework but hasn't actually seen it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Am I the only one who heard gurneys "the slow blade penetrates the shield" line of exposition delivered as a common phrase, like "knight takes pawn" or "keep your hands up"? I thought he had a kind of half taunting, half disappointed tone, like "c'mon, son", which matched his general frustration/fear in the scene.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I did think it was kind of funny that losing to Jessica demonstrates weakness, but you can't fight her directly. It seems a little contradictory: either she's a legitimate warrior and losing to her in battle signals weakness and she may also accept challeneges in combat, or she's a spooky weirding woman and being bested by her is trickery that exists outside of the rules of their honor system.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Complications posted:

Sayyadina or no, she's a water fat offworlder. Those people pretty much all suck at fighting by fremen standards. Stereotypes and prejudice are still bullshit in Dune.

Yeah, I don't think there's any way to square the circle other than to say it illustrates a contradictory prejudice. Which is actually "fine" as an answer, especially since Jessica and Paul would still be forced by necessity to accommodate the Fremen custom.

AnEdgelord posted:

The film also makes it super obvious that Stilgar thinks Jamis is being a huge dumbass about the whole thing

Also a very good point: it's a real "c'mon man" moment where Jamis is technically within his rights but is clearly being a petty dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Want a plot hole? Why is a carryall capable of carrying a spice hauler but not able to just pick up the crew?

My personal take is that the Harkonnen designed that model and they didn't give a shiiiit.