Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

Feyd and Rabban will have to be consolidated, just like Duncan/Thufir/Gurney, I suspect.

Isn’t Bautista playing Rabban? I really doubt he’s been merged with Feyd; Bautista could take on a schoolbus of Tim Chalamets and win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

Honestly the whole human potential angle of the book is so silly and of its time. You could be as smart as a computer if you just studied really, really hard!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

I never got why in Dune the main fighting style isn’t Monster Trucks—I get why shields obsolete guns, explosives, and lasers (kind of) but what is a dude with a knife going to do about a slow moving vehicle (with maybe some spikes on it etc).

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

Just walk without rhythm.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

I don't think austere is a terrible choice for material like this, and some stuff looked pretty rad anyway (the Sardaukar (?) troopers dropping in front of the wall, Raban & the Baron), but a 15,000 years into the future feudal pre-capitalist spacefaring society is an excuse to go apeshit.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

The first book has a fun adventure plot and cool political intrigue (at least the first 2/3rds). Herbert wasn't a particularly great writer though and there's not much of interest in the subsequent novels.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

phew, what a hot take

I don't think it's that hot. Dune is seminal sci fi, no doubt about it, but Herbert's weird perspective issues weaken a lot of his scenes, for example.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

Is there any reason why in Dune the preferred method of fighting isn't to ram SUVs into each other? Wouldn't a shielded SUV ramming into a shielded dude still gently caress the dude up really bad from getting thrown around?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

I feel like there would be more pikes in Dune irl.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

Herbert explicitly said Windows 95 was just at the edge of legality in Dune, but Windows 98 was banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

Kurzon posted:

The duel felt so cliché. Paul runs into some Injuns in the desert, they think he's a pussy, so to earn their respect he must beat one of them in a duel.

Someone here pointed out that Dune plays like a Young Adult novel and...it's kinda true.