Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As much as Dune blew me away as a kid, I think the Westwood video games really shaped me perception of the setting (although visually obviously they draw from the Lynch movie). I remember as a kid thinking it was so incredible that John Rhys-Davies was in a Dune video game, not realizing he was in any number of lovely genre things in the 90s.

I also remember reading Hellstrom's Hive because it was by the guy who wrote Dune and uhh... wasn't ready for that as a kid.

I also remember reading Destination: Void and The Jesus Incident and when I later read God-Emperor of Dune thinking Herbert was basically just recycling a lot of themes from those earlier books.

davidspackage posted:

The Atreides are using a technique unknown to us, a technique involving sound.

*la cucaracha horn*

One might call this a... Weapon of Choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Beardless Jason Momoa looks a lot like Antonio Banderas.

Eason the Fifth posted:

The scifi series was goofy in a lot of ways but the casting was really loving great across the board.

First time I ever saw James McAvoy.

I do feel like there was this brief period in the early 2000s where Alec Newman and Edward Atterton were both on the verge of becoming A Thing in genre TV but didn't quite make it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

On the third, mutated hand,

Think you mean, "On the gripping hand"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Freme are Zensunni

Broke: Fremen are Zensunni

Woke: Zensunni are Meechee

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of John Boyega, is Kevin J. Anderson still involved in this movie? I remember back in the 00s he and Herbert Jr. were behind the attempts to get a new Dune movie off the ground but I don't know if that project became this or it is something completely separate.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the Assassin's Creed movie was supposed to be the movie that broke the video game adaptation curse. Remember that the director's previous film was a very well received adaptation of Macbeth also starring Fassbender and Marion Cotillard. The cast overall was pretty high quality, and Ubisoft also had a lot more involvement than most studios in game adaptations. Obviously it didn't really succeed in breaking the curse but I think you can see where Fassbender could have felt justified in taking a... ahem... leap of faith with it.

Even so, in terms of video game adaptations, it's probably one of the best. And yes that is a very, very, very low bar.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

How much of those books were actually Brian Herbert? I always figured it was essentially KJA writing them with Herbert's name on them as the cost of KJA being allowed to write in the universe.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ynfOMi0Jo

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

We almost had a Bay Dune in the form of Berg Dune.

Even better, after Berg dropped out, he was initially replaced with Pierre Morel. Just try to imagine a version of Dune directed by the guy who did Taken. I think Morel's script was done by the guy who did the unfilmed Gambit movie, too.

Some of the concept art for Berg's Dune are online: https://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jock

I feel like young Paul was based on young Leonidas from 300.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If this was a normal situation then I would absolutely be willing to pay to see Inception on the big screen again. It's a movie that absolutely benefits from being seen that way. But no way I'm going to a theater any time soon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

david_a posted:

This seems to be one of his better regarded non-Dune books; are there others that people would recommend?

I remember enjoying Destination: Void/The Jesus Incident and Hellstrom's Hive, but I haven't read them in probably 20 years or so, so maybe my memory is distorting them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My girlfriend is a huge fan of Star Wars, and a kind-of fan of Twin Peaks, and decided to watch the Lynch Dune. Afterwards, she told me how much she loved it, "because it was just like Star Wars." Was not the reaction I was expecting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kaworu posted:

The plotline with Mr Tojamura, on the other hand, has not aged well at all.

I don't know, seems to have anticipated the modern popularity of foot fetishes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

My uncle works at ILM and he says they are doing a digital Dali for the emperor

Have to say, not totally against this idea.

I really hope someday we get an animated adaptation of the Jodorowsky movie. Probably the only way it could ever have gotten made in any form.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think Children of Dune is a step up. Also one of the first roles for James McAvoy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He also was the newsreader in Rome.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The most Lynchian thing about the movie was Lynch's cameo as the spice miner and hearing his voice talking gobbledygook over the radio.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Walken without rhythm

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Idk why no ones made the Jodorowski version as anime yet

A few years ago Ari Folman, who did The Congress and Waltz with Bashir, talked about trying to convince Jodorowsky to let him do an animated version. But given that was a few years ago I'm guessing nothing came from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/Cadigan/status/1429336654683250692