Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i don't mean to get all political, but i think it's interesting dune appeals to people with wildly different political views, while i've understood herbert to be pretty conservative or at least libertarian minded in a very pacific northwestern kind of way. i would probably guess it's due to the intensity of his vision, which is probably the most we can ask of a writer (along with being, like, not a lunatic)

wasn't god emperor a big brother type of analogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

What really makes me think that Denis get's Dune is how he used Jamis. The other adaptations make Jamis kind of a hot head who basically only serves as the first person that Paul needs to kill, but that's not what Jamis really represented in the books. Herbert has said that Dune is a deconstruction of the concept of the Messiah or of "The Great Man". That if someone only gets one thing from the book, it's that you should always be questioning your leader and thinking about what they are asking you to do before you do it.

Jamis' usage was really interesting, it's been years since i read the books but the initial idea i landed on was it seemed to imply the eventual rejection from the path by paul since he didnt take the blade. but his visions are less than reliable

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Alan Smithee posted:

so during the worm scene before they reach the fremen what was the weird hollow sand paul stepped on and what did he say

sand drum is what i heard

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
fey looks so white like a prometheus Engineer

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Villeneuve making this space isis deal sound like a good idea.