Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In BoJack Horseman two characters bond over complaining about a fruit salad with too much honeydew melon in it.
"Urgh, honeydew. It's the worst part of everything that it's in.
It's the Jaret Leto of fruit"
And frankly that summary has never been topped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think it's the stories about his method acting, especially in regards to Suicide Squad, that does the heavy lifting in getting people to dislike him. Plus he seems to give the impression that he thinks he's an actor two orders of magnitude better than he actually is (that could just be a media creation, in all fairness).

Thing is, he's an alright actor, but he keeps being given roles that require more talent than he has, and it keeps happening, which means there's always a reason to be annoyed at him.

I think the idea of Wallace is excellent by itself though. An intelligent man that's entirely bought into his own hype, and living in the shadow of actual genius. He reflects our current reality of insecure tech bros acting like messiahs. A better actor could really have brought the emotional fragility of that existence to life.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Give it to Jodo, come full circle. Only he can accept the burden of this Golden Path.

This ends in Jodo's sane son wearing a suit made out of salmons trying to finish this mess.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dune is irrevocably a merger of the book and Lynch's movie in most fan's minds. Things like the Baron literally floating or the general weirdness just feel so right. Coupled with the bat poo poo insane Jodorowsky stuff, and the next five book getting steadily stranger, it's pretty reasonable that Dune has become much more colourful than Herbert originally wrote.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Firstborn posted:

To be fair, you probably bitched at the 2049 trailer, too
I'm not that guy, but from the 2049 trailer I saw I expected a crappy action movie that shat on everything about the original. Luckily that was what I was in the mood for and went into the cinema expecting something akin to the RoboCop or Total Recall remakes.

Suffice to say my mind was goddamn blown.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not gentler but the connotations are different.

It's gentler to people from a Christian culture, it's somewhat different in the middle East.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Numbers are pretty rare for sequels these days. You get a certain number of people who just go "well, I didn't see Spiderman 1, so I'd be missing out on the story if I went to see Spiderman 2". So now everything gets a sub title instead to trick these people into going!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I’m trying to rule the planet but I’m dunccie thicc

This is maybe 25% of the size the baron should be. I'm glad they're not going to manslaughter Stellan Skarsgaard for the role, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Vavrek posted:

I mean, yeah. What I mean is: does Paul survive longterm? Is he kept around as a slave of the Baron? Is there some way Paul could gain an established place as A Harkonnen, and become (an illegitimate) part of the family? Maybe he could become the new Harkonnen mentat! Piter's dead and Thufir's old. Complete Paul's training and keep him for that. And the Baron certainly could kill his own daughter if he wanted, but is there any route where Jessica survives? That sort of thing. What lays on the path beyond the Baron's bedchamber.
Paul does seem to consider it a future, just a personally disgusting one. I would expect Paul to eventually gain the throne, but not for some time and having to endure the Baron's attentions until Vladimir died or was assassinated.