Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mat Cauthon posted:

One thing I didn't get is why Paul fights Jamis at all, aside from plot set up reasons. Jessica being a BG she could've easily murked him (and probably every Fremen in that crew) in a matter of minutes right? She neutralized Stilgar in no time at all.

She can 1v1 anyone and win but she can't 1v20 or whatever and win no matter how cool weirding way is

also in the books the Fremen understand what the voice is. They call it "witchcraft" and you can only voice one person at a time cuz you have to figure out the pitch/tune to use etc. So it's not AoE

Stilgiar basically goes "yeah I know you can beat any of us but the rest of us will just kill you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Dueling jamis was also a nice loop back to the beginning of the movie when Gurney told him "you fight out of necessity", also the gom jabbar scene (it's a test where failure means death in both cases)

the movie was very underwhelming in how it considering that it's the climax of Paul's journey in the 1st half of the book. The miniseries from 20 yrs ago did a better job at choreographing it

In movie Jamis seem to know he's hosed like 5 seconds into the fight in the miniseries/books it's way drawn out so he feels like a real threat

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 1, 2021

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
also come on shadeout mapes drew the crysknife w/o shedding blood!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Police_monitoring posted:

I reread dune 1+2 and then rewatched this and I'm warming up on it a lot. It's not how I would prefer this narrative portrayed but I do think it's a successful, if slightly clunky, adaptation of it. I'm still fairly skeptical this aesthetic can survive into book 2+ though without it becoming very 'superhero film' but part 2 should be cool.

I don't see how you can possibly adapt book 2/3 at all into a movie meant for general audience

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Now that I think about book 2, dune Messiah, there's actually a lot of nuance to the politics after Paul wins and establishes the Atreides theocracy in
place of the old secular imperium

-Paul's Jihad of conquest kills 61 billion people and he himself is utterly disillusioned with his own empire and the ideology he built on a lie. He literally says he's worse than Hitler (yes lol)
-Paul loses control over his own imperial cult of divinity (the Fremen would just say god is testing them even if he claims he isn't a god)
-more and more power of the imperial throne passes to the Priest-Bureaucrats (the Qizarate) who actually run the empire (and eventually a rebelling faction within it is strong enough to drop a stone-burner on him)
-He's facing a conspiracy from the remnants of the power players from the Corrino empire (the Bene gesserit, tleilaxu, Ix, guild, the Corrino themselves), who wants to overthrow him
-said conspiracy is also allied to a conservative faction within the Fremen themselves, who oppose Paul for taking the terraforming project too fast
-until end of book 2 lack of a clear heir and the closest thing to a heir he has is literally insane
-The Empire was probably always 2-3 defections by key players (like Stilgar) away from collapsing

-Paul's hold on power is actually pretty shaky and book 2-3 sees the power structure he constructed collapse and turn on itself, until Leto II shows up and builds an even more brutal but ultimately stable government with the goal of doing what amounts to 4000 years of accelerationism to destroy space-feudalism.

It's kinda ironic I guess how even though Paul is superhuman his subordinates are ultimately less loyal and reliable than Duke Leto's own retainers on Caladan

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 2, 2021