Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

Also I think I said it before but I'm like 97% certain that he was a massive juicer back in the day. It would explain just about everything about him and just what the gently caress happened to him.

Nah, he just stopped being young. You can have bad habits and be a bit lazy when you're 36. you can't get away with it as you get older, especially if, like Seagal, you absolutely believe your own bullshit, including the stuff that got made up to sell you as an action star. I don't know what it is about Aikido, but it attracts shitloads of douchebags. It's a pretty chill martial art, and it's really only a martial art the way golf is a sport. I did for about a year as a kid. There's plenty of people there who are just nice and like doing very low impact training in a friendly environment. Every class, though, has a bunch of dudes who are either way too into the spritual side (often in a really stupid, condescending way) or people who just really want to hurt people, including training partners. Seagal is in both those categories. I met fewer assholes doing boxing and jiujitsu than i ever did in aikido. I think anything involving joint locking is going to attract some lovely people for at least a couple of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen the wire, but my main takeaway of Stringer Bell is that he aspired to make drug dealing as mundane as an office job, with himself as a legitimate businessman who happens to sell drugs. But not a sociopath by any means. Maybe it's that Idris Elba just doesn't seem to me as cold as the Emperor needs to be.

He has a bunch of people killed to protect that very mundane thing. Killing and violence isn't his interest, but he's perfectly happy to use it as a means to an end. Which is, arguably, more sociopathic than just getting off on the adrenaline of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Stringer Bell put out a hit on a twelve year old and didn't think twice about it. He was cold as hell.

He also tried to kill Omar after church while he was with his mother. And had Brandon tortured to death. And was responsible for the deaths of witnesses, including ones who recanted.

Goddamn he's a monster. Just goes to show the effect it has on a character for them to be played by someone as sexy as Idris Elba, the real life Barbados Slim.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

In the past year or so I've noticed a huge spike in literally sophomoric writing from people who are supposed to be professional academics, journalists, and/or people who have a writing job because they can write. If you're rich enough, The Atlantic will publish your dumbest nephew.

At one point I aspired to be published in the Atlantic, then I realised Caitlin Flanagan is a tenured writer there and that I needed to rethink my goals.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

porfiria posted:

Dear Lord, although this timeline is a bit of a stretch.

Infinity War was 4 years ago.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Modern movies do feel incredibly frenetic and hastily edited, even when they're not marvel style frantic quip-fests, so when a movie like Dune comes along with lots of sedate sweeping shots I don't blame someone for characterising it as old-school.

I think there's something to this, and it's not just Hollywood. I watched a few Chinese historical melodramas and they've got this problem too. Even when it's a big production and they've actually got a bunch of costumed extras and a big location, they speed ramp the big sweeping shots. So, instead of panning across a huge army, it begins that motion, then suddenly jerks forward. I understand why they do it for trailers but doing it in the film is incomprehensible.

The designs may be a big part of the classification too. There's been that swing, roughly since Star Wars and Alien, to make ships more bulky and tactical. They're more likely to be all hard lines. Smooth, organic shapes tend to be the province of hyper advanced aliens. Adding to that, the ships move with a lot of stiffness and weight, recreating the type of motion you tended to see in older styles of special effects.

I described it at the time as the adaptation that would have been made in the 60s if they'd had the technology and I stick by that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

david_a posted:

Elvira, Mistress of the Universe

Bruce Springsteen, Boss of the Imperium

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is barely related, but has there been any sign of replica weapons and stuff from this? I've had a look around but it's all been quiet. Kind of surprising for a movie with so much emphasis on swordplay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
As muchg as I enjoyed the first one, I do hope they switch fight choreographer/stunt coordinators for number 2, or at least listen to them a little more. None of the fights are bad, but also, none of them are really good. Which is kind of a shame when everything else is so very top notch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kalel posted:

I really like all the fights tbqh. I don't know why people say that

Because, on a contiuum from Christopher Nolan (who is unwilling or incapable of stylising his action sequences) to Zack Snyder (Who sometimes stylises everything about his action sequences) I'd prefer Dune's scenes to be a little closer to Snyder's end than Nolan's. Again, I didn't dislike them or think they were bad. But I also didn't think they were particularly good. They worked perfectly well and clearly communicated each fight's story and significance. I'd just like them to be a bit more memorable in their own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Nah, hard disagree. The existing choreography has a realistic and brutal style and the more documentary coverage suits it. A more stylized Hollywood approach would be totally inappropriate. It’s part of what makes the power ranger scene so jarring.

I wouldn't call it documentary coverage at all. There's lots of cuts and close ups, just not especially well done. They're functional, but that's about it. I guess I'd just like a clearer sense of style. Villeneuve hasn't directed a whole heap of action before but in, say, Blade Runner, the few action scenes felt more a product of actual vision and ideas as related to the story.

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah I don’t know, the “do you yield????” moment was awesome. Also Chani handing him the crysknife was extremely well done

Agreed that that scene was great. The actors all sell it and the rythmn is brilliantly anti-climatic. It starts out like it's a battle of equals, but Paul is very quickly revealed to be head and shoulders better and his opponent realises it to their horror. The shot choices and cuts are more purposeful. It's great.