Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

sethsez posted:

It's a Reluctant Chosen One sci-fi story centered on a royal pretty boy trying to navigate the machinations of powers far larger than himself, complete with special fighting styles, Friends To The End, and big action set pieces. Sci-fi has been pillaging from Dune for years and YA sci-fi is no exception, so the resemblance was inevitable to some degree.

totally, the first book hits on a lot of YA themes and its probably why its like the most popular and best selling sci fi novel. I first read it when I was 14 or 15 and it instantly became my favorite of all time. Surpassed only by children and god emperor, both of which also have young adults as protagonists coming to age.

Hope the movie does well enough we get messiah and children sequels. As mediocre as the scifi miniseries were, at least they tried. Not sure we'll ever see god emperor just due to the absurd nightmare fuel of letoworm but i can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Neo Rasa posted:

Sci-Fi Dune was uh, I liked some things about it but dang. Honestly thought I though their Mesiah/Children of Dune adaptation overall was fine. Some bizarre casting decisions though. The guy they got for Stilgar in Children of Dune as an example was insanely out of place.

Yeah I liked their children of dune series but probably because i just love the setting and it helps to have james mcavoy. berkoff as stilgar was weird. ian mcneice did really well through both dune and the children series

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
imagine buying plastic toys for a movie about a book based on ecology, the environment, and resource extraction

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Collapsing Farts posted:

The spider is some sort of genetic fuckery, cuz it looks like multiple human parts stretched out and put together;

yeah its probably some Tleilaxu thing

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

quiggy posted:

Legit hoping for a part 3 that covers the events of Messiah so we can get Paul's full narrative arc.

i really hope so

hope they can do a children part 1 and 2 too. and ill never stop hoping for god emperor starring jason momoa and cgi nightmare fuel

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, just leapfrog over Children and skip straight to god emperor.

i really liked children a lot although i know people dont :(

feels like you need to setup leto's acceptance of the golden path and his start of the transformation before you can do god emperor, unless you do that all in flashbacks or something

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Schwarzwald posted:

I wouldn't even want that in flashbacks. Paul walks into the desert, assured that his children will carry on with his golden path. Cut forward however many millennia and we learn the full horror of what that means.

i need that sandtrout body horror

then god emperor's ending is even better and thinking about how herbert described it still makes me shudder. id love to see how denis would shoot it

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

not nearly long nor girthy enough :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
holy moley that trailer owned