Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Can someone who's seen the movie or read the books explain what in the everloving hell that spider thing was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I want to see ⊃∪∩⊂ again

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any theories what happened to Jamis to make him so grumpy that day?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

jeeves posted:

The required world building exposition dumps being the narrator of the neat holo-slide projector was a nice touch, especially how they integrated in into the hunter-seeker scene.

It makes Chani's voice over at the beginning seem kind of tacked on. Of course you can't top the actual text's use of the Princess Irulan quotes for the start of each chapter (esp since the reader doesn't even find out who the character is until she's married off to Paul at the end)-- so it is kind of a compromise, I guess.

This movie is the gold standard of show don't tell. Chani's voice over is worth it for "Who will our next oppressors be?..." *cuts to paul*

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

stratdax posted:

Lol ya never seen a cut like that before in a movie. Truly advanced filmmaking.

I've seen over one thousand films

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The part of this film that is sticking with me is how it handled the character of Jamis. In the book it's easy to see him as a plot device for Paul to overcome. In this film, the way Paul's visions paint him as a mentor, guide, and father figure- it's just incredibly poignant and beautiful, aided very much by the gravitas that the actor brings to the role. In those visions, it's clear that Jamis loves Paul and has a whole world to show him. DENIS did a great job in using this to highlight Paul's ability to see into the multiverse- it's not something that the viewer gets beaten over the head with, but Paul is navigating these timelines like a ship dodging ice bergs. It will make the follow up scenes in part 2 that much more affecting.

Jamis is such a tragic figure in the film and is a powerful microcosm of the whole story. Superb writing and filmmaking.

There are people who actually think the film should have ended 2/3s in like the Jamis scene doesn't turn the whole film on its head. Like Jessica thinks Paul hesitates because he has never killed a man but the truth is that he is about to kill the most important mentor he has never met yet and break a link to the future he does not understand

this absolutely made the movie for me but maybe that's because I've literally never watched/read/played anything to do with Dune except 2000 on the PS1

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kurzon posted:

Part Two should mention the Butlerian Jihad and the ban on thinking machines. A key plot point of Dune is that the spice is essential for space travel, but how then did humans get to Arrakis in the first place if Arrakis is the only source of spice?

Thufir Hawat's Mentat was sick. Dude made his eyes white to multiply two numbers together.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm reading the book for the first time and like the great Heighliner ships are so big that they can simultaneously carry all the frigates of your house but all the frigates around of the house that wants to kill you... at the same time without you knowing? I don't think any game could capture that level of bizarre non-linear warfare.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
some of the posting here is giving me cielago depression

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'll probably be finished the book this week. Should I watch the theatrical 84 movie first or just skip to the recut (by Spice Diver)?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Going to go see this again tonight in the cinema. My first experience was a bit lackluster and I was too tired to really enjoy it.

update: i found out i have coronavirus and did not make it to dune

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 30, 2022

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Momoa cut is the transition from beard to beardless (:barf:)

Also I'm not very good at making gifs but I really liked the Pink Floyd trailer so I made this

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm just impressed that Fahrenheit is still in use in the year 10,000.

Nitpicking but isn't the year 10,000 since the end of the Butlerian Jihad? So it's actually like 20,000 AD or something.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I hope they DeNiro him except intentionally make the discontinuity between physicality and appearance jarring and uncanny.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
He will need his beard back to sell that.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
First thing that jumped out at me in this picture was that that is actually the Kyle MacLachlan carrying those dogs

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I loved Messiah. My favourite part is all the time Herbert puts into the setup for Scytale and the first time he meets Paul, Paul is like "what the gently caress? okay, guess I'll play along".

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

House Atreides:
Duke Leto Atreides
Jurgen Prochnow - Lynch

Lady Jessica
Alice Krige - Children of Dune

Paul Atreides
Timothee Chalamet - Villeneuve

Gurney Halleck
Josh Brolin - Villeneuve

Duncan Idaho
Richard Jordan - Lynch

Thufir Hawat
Stephen McKinley Henderson - Villeneuve

Wellington Yueh
Chang Chen - Villeneuve

Alia
Alicia Witt - Lynch

House Harkonnen:
Baron Vladmir Harkonnen
Stellan Skarsgard - Villeneuve

Piter DeVries
Brad Dourif - Lynch

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Sting - Lynch

Glossu Beast Rabban
Laszlo Kish - Series

Fremen:
Stilgar
Javier Bardem - Villeneuve

Chani
Sean Young - Lynch

Liet Kynes
Karel Dobry - Series

Shadout Mapes
Golda Rosheuvel - Villeneuve

Jamis
Babs Olusanmokun - Villeneuve

House Corrino:
Christopher Walken - Villeneuve

Princess Irulan
Virgina Madsen - Lynch

Hasimir Fenring
Tim Blake Nelson - Villeneuve rumored

Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Charlotte Rampling - Villeneuve

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Less talking about american star wars and more talking about european star wars please

Where's the drat trailer

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh my god, Austin no :stonk:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They better do Messiah. Dune does not have a satisfying thematic conclusion until the misery of Paul's rule and his downfall.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm curious if they will even introduce those. I mean they're not really necessary for the story if you're only planning to go as far as Messiah, right?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

I reckon the use of AI for background actors is probably totally inevitable at this stage, but it remains to be seen if SAG can pull off a Butlerian Jihad against robots doing speaking parts for $0

climate change, prescience as analogue for information/media saturation, increasing right-populist autocrats and AI; it can't be understated how drat on point Frank Herbert was about all this poo poo.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 23, 2023

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jewmanji posted:

This would be a mentat ability, not prescience.

Paul's ability to see time "streams" comes from the combination of his genetics, mentat training and bene gesserit training.

quote:

Yeah you lost me. Not sure how passively ingesting a Twitter stream is a useful analogy for willing the galaxy into a holocaust.

You should spend more time outside inside

seriously though, Paul's small and futile attempts to divert things ("call me Paul Muad'dib") and eventual descent into apathetic resignment is pretty much a terminally online person becoming utterly irony poisoned against the onslaught of information about our own coming calamity of climate collapse, increasing authoritarianism and regression into chauvinistic disregard for women's autonomy/lgbt rights.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah I dunno, it doesn't seem like a particularly salient metaphor to me considering the timeline is basically a) what did Trump do today b) how many people were killed in a Walmart today and c) what temperature record did we break today, which is a passive and apathetic way of ingesting the world around you (guilty as charged). Paul is in the driver's seat. He's making these things happen, even if he feels like he's only selecting for the least bad option. He's not merely watching things unfold before him like a future newsreel, he is himself influencing the events.

The fremen jihad is portrayed as something that exploded outward as an unstoppable onslaught of vengence for centuries (millenia?) of generational trauma and suffering inflicted against their people. Paul's role in meaningfully directing it other than being its symbolic figurehead is extremely debatable imo. That mantle probably more aptly belongs to Leto II, who confirms to the Preacher how meaningless Paul's attempt to direct the future was beyond securing the position of the Atreides.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Thufir says the trip cost xy space dollars because the guild sent three navigators and there are more than three of those Pope-looking guys.

trainees

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

kalel posted:

If that's true then why didn't he introduce daft punk properly

If I recall correctly Daft Punk were the members of parliament or something

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's so nice to see a trailer without excessive noise deadening, loving clock ticking sounds or the entire movie described in voiceovers, so yeah

aledesma posted:

I hate to overreact but, this is the best trailer I have ever seen in my life.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

dpkg chopra posted:

I haven’t read the books and only saw the first movie (of this new set) once when it came out, so maybe this is obvious, but:

Do sandworms create Water of Life out of basically digesting spice? Or is the other way around, spice gets into the sand by sandworms mixing it with their blood?

My info my be incorrect but

water is essentially toxic for a sandworm in high quantities. However, miniscule quantities of water are important to create spice. A dose of water so high as being thrown into a pool means the creation of a highly raw, concentrated and toxic form of the water of life, what would instead become spice in the miniscule quantities of the desert sands.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone think the intention is to blend the two Fenrings into one character?

I think that would be a good move, I never really understood or sympathized with Count Fenring in the first 3 books.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I also saw the movie twice and I have no idea what happened with the knives at the end. The emperor's is clearly thicker and Paul's Crysknife is slender but iirc it looks like a knife goes into his left side but he pulls it out of his right side at the end. The knife Paul pulls out of Feyd is definitely a Crysknife though. Paul's vision in the first movie of him being stabbed coming true in the second is a pretty nice moment though.

Also, about not telling Chani about marrying Irulan beforehand. I think you said it yourself, Paul is following an extremely narrow path through space and time. Her being at the duel probably has some significance. The book and both movies opted to keep a moment where Feyd taunts/threatens Chani which is interesting.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I saw it in 1.43:1 IMAX and hated it. I wasn't even seated that close or off-centre and everything looked like utter poo poo. Seeing it again in 16:9 non-IMAX 70mm was amazing though.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

DTurtle posted:

Was it the aspect ratio that killed it for you?

If I had been farther away from the screen or it was 1.9:1 I think it would have been better.

The vertical compression is so noticable with a nearly square screen.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was in Karlsruhe, first IMAX also. I could have gone to Leonberg but decided against it last minute because I heard 1.43:1 is better.

When I say I experienced a lot of "vertical compression" I mean like this effect:

It was quite difficult to focus back and forth on certain parts of the screen and I should add that I have perfect vision.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Grag the thunfler posted:

beer is the mind-killer. beer is the little-death that brings total obliteration. i will face my beer. i will permit it to pass over me and through me. and when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. where the beer has gone there will be nothing. only I will remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

Again, the appendix in Dune says the Butlerian Jihad was "the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots." Whether the latter were killer T-100s or nice Wall-E's isn't made clear, but they were definitely and explicitly robots.

I much prefer the idea that it wasn't a violent war for the survival of humanity but everyone just getting radicalized by AIs and supercomputers making human labours or power structures obsolete.

e: To me, Dune exists now at a critical time of humanity where we are facing the climate catastrophe looming but also how we are each individually media and information saturated to the point that everyone can be prescient about which difficult and violent futures face us. Adding into that mix the parallel of the Butlerian Jihad and ourselves today being made obsolete by GPTs and other large-data models would have been a great move by Villeneuve.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 18, 2024