Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'll see this on HBO Max next Friday and then I'll watch it on 35mm at my local art theater when they play it every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah I'd wait for part 2 to judge Zendaya if it happens.

If not :lol: at the cliffhanger. They can add "read the rest in the book" to the end credits or something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Man, I don't know if I liked it. It was an objectively better movie than lynch's, but honestly the first half of this story is not really the exciting half, and it's gonna be a long rear end while before we get to the good stuff.

If we do! That's the real rub. This could be it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DeimosRising posted:

The book doesn't really do anything to sell that he's so charismatic either. It just sort of assumes he is, and that "works" to an extent because we don't actually see him or anything.

A little late here. I just have been reading the book for the first time and it works within the context of the novel because mostly the Fremen want to believe in him because of their legends and he fits on at least a high level. He wouldn't have to work hard to do so.

But to your point, that doesn't mean Paul is *actually* charismatic. Honestly he comes off as a petulant little poo poo to me. Smart but still.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

You can't do a Dune rock opera because David Bowie is too dead to be Paul, Steve Perry is too old to be Gurney Halleck, Mick Jagger is too old to be the Emperor, and Stevie Nicks is too old to be Moiham.

1977 was the last chance.

Sting could be Emperor Shaddam IV though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I remember the credits theme for the original because it was hilariously out of place.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

I get the feeling Feyd was cut from the story completely and Rabban is just going to be it. Otherwise his orders to squeeze here wouldn't have been built around them needing massive amounts of income to cover their re-taking of Arrakis - In the book it's because he wants to set up the people of Arrakis to despise Rabban's rule so that he can drop Feyd in to rule with a softer touch making him beloved.

The squeezing for income is actually what he tells Rabban is the point in the book, I just read past that part yesterday. There's no inner monologue in this film so there's no way to know what people's real plans and thoughts are. He doesn't say a drat word out loud to anyone about his real plan with Feyd supplanting Rabban.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Torquemada posted:

The book starts out pretty good, but after my second read through noticed a massive drop in quality in the writing after Paul drinks the water of life. The entire ending is hurried, overstated and clumsy, even barely comprehensible in places.

I mean it's kind of hard to show a two year guerilla war that results in the emperor showing up just in time to lose the last city on Arrakis. This is why it was just a montage in the Lynch film.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Keanu Reeves for emperor as he's supposed to be like 70 and look 35

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chris Tucker for emperor but he's literally his character from The Fifth Element.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

jeff goldblum you cowards :argh:

In some scenes it's Jeff Goldblum, in some scenes it's Benecio Del Toro, and in one scene it's Tim Curry.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's gonna be a ways off if he gets the Dune trilogy he wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I dunno I don't think I'd have remembered Blade Runner's climax so much if instead of the "tears in rain" monologue, Roy Batty just looked at Deckard, smiled, and died.

quote:

They certainly made part 2 with the expectation that Messiah was going to happen.

I mean, imagine how part 1 would have gone down in retrospect if part 2 didn't happen. I feel like it's unlikely this is gonna bomb but I guess we'll see soon enough.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 26, 2024